Wow, it did become a bit of a freight train, didn't it? If I was still in Chicago I'd offer to go and get some as well. I think we're all glad to help anybody here any way we can, that's for sure. :cheers:

Will do, luckily I can get the perfect boxes for shipping at work. I thank all for the offer of bottles, but I will try to pick some up myself to save an extra shipping step on the part of some peoples. I only wait for a reply email to tell me when the magic moment will arrive.

Update- Well, the ten days have come and gone and still no word from Sonja. She said "Ten days or so" so I will wait till "or so" (tomorrow) to send a reminder e-mail. I have acquired bottles, but the only size I could find are 4oz with cork stoppers. Is this acceptable? The corks fit quite tightly (to the point it took a bit of elbow grease to remove) and on top of that I could also secure them with a good layer of tape. Will this do, or do I need to find some screw tops? I could not pass up the deal I got on these.

I'm not in on this, but tape is a bad idea. If one does leak the alcohol will be a solvent on the sticky stuff and just help it to release. You could always melt a candle and dip them, although it's a bit brittle to be reliable unless the weather's warm enough.

That is about a million billion times more functional and aesthetically pleasing. I should save tape for what it is meant for, naughty children.

In the future, you might want to consider snagging some mini bottles and pouring/drinking the contents and using them. They work pretty good and you get some liquor to boot for your cash spent.

For now, I think you would be fine with some small strips of duct tape. Two strips across the top of the cork like an 'X' to hold it in place and another running around the bottle overlapping the ends of the other strips where the cork meets the rim. If you pack them well, suspended with either P-nuts, paper, foam, whatever, they shouldn't be dislodged/damaged for the ride.

Instead of brittle candlewax, how about looking into the cost of a good sealing wax, like the type used for... sealing corked bottles? They must sell it. It's the same stuff used for sealing letters with an official stamp-seal.

Or you could go around a liquor store and steal all the wax off of bottles of Maker's Mark and re-melt it onto the little corked absinthe bottles...

Just a devious thought!

Letter sealing wax is around 7 to 17 bucks online. Course, depends how many bottles you’re dippin. And the pressure difference if some are being shipped via air. Hmmm, decisions decisions. A tight cork with wax from a hobby store will work. Or perhaps just the cork?

Letter sealing wax is around 7 to 17 bucks online. Course, depends how many bottles you're dippin. And the pressure difference if some are being shipped via air. Hmmm, decisions decisions. A tight cork with wax from a hobby store will work. Or perhaps just the cork?

This is what I meant to quote, sorry for the sloppy posting. Having a puppy on your lap makes things difficult!

What kind of gum? We don't even know what this tastes like yet! Cinnamon may ruin the flavor profile, while a nice stick of BlackJack may overpower other subtle essences.

Anydangway, I have decreed I will use the corks, as they fit very well, and I will dip them in unscented candle wax. Zallright?

Update from Sonja:

You haven't missed anything yet, we are just waiting for our distributor

to pick the product up from us, hopefully that will occur on Monday or

Tuesday, so we can have the first cases go out on Wednesday at latest.

Unfortunately that part of the process always takes longer than we'd like.

I will certainly let you know once it's actually in the stores!

Anticipation...

Interesting!!! Any details on how broadly distributed it will be or how one can order it online?

Doc, I imagine if we contact the distributors when they recieve it they can tell us.

One of the distributors on the page I linked is an "Internet sales" co. But they seemed very expensive on the Kübler and Lucid.

The only product I've had a chance to sample from North Shore is their Distiller's No. 6 Gin.

Personally, I think the bottle I tried was one of the more nicely distilled gins I've had a chance of trying.

There are so many modern gins whose press sez stuff like, "We intend this as a sipping gin," then you try it and it's about as sippable as hand sanitizer.

North Shore No. 6 is one of two or three that I think really deliver on the sippable promise. A very well made and uniquely flavored gin.

Unfortunately, it isn't very widely distributed. However, I believe Binny's carries their gin and will ship to many states. I'm hoping Binny's will carry the Absinthe as well.

Well Jeez. I guess I didn't take the proper tone to actually get any information out of these guys.

I'll hit Sam's on Thursday and pick up a couple bottles. Dakini? What will the magic number be? I'm willing to send out ten samples.

According to Poor here, he has 4 oz bottles. For the ten samples, we'll need 40 oz. Two 750 ml contains 50 oz. So Poor will have 10 oz (about 300 ml) for himself, everyone else 4 oz. At $60/bottle, thats $9.50 per 4 oz sample, plus tax, bottle and shipping. I don't know what Poor paid for the bottles, and I don't think shipping will be more than $5 each package (it can be less). Depending on the tax rate, tax could be 80¢ per sample.

So.... (drum roll)

Sample 9.50

Bottle 1.00

Shipping 5.00

Tax 0.80

---------------

Total $16.30

Plus tip. So $20-$25 depending on your generosity. OK? Minimum $16.30. I just sent my money, seems to work. Paypal thinks it worked. :)

You can add your shipping address in the paypal transaction, so no need to PM separately.

I'll PM everyone with the paypal email address to send the money to Poor. Done.

Edited by dakini_painter