• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#271 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

Joe is much more friendly than...The Cleaner.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#272 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:18 AM

I love it when he gives the white glove treatment to the air. :laugh:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#273 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

Those glasses of Sirene do look a bit more thin than I remember. The last time I had it was about a year ago though. I never had a problem with the louche. All in all I thought it was an excellent absinthe: citrusy, minty and floral, excellent for modern absinthe cocktails. I will probably pick some up at christmas when I'm in Ontario. I let you all know how it is.

#274 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

I have always wanted to try it but i never heard good enough things about it, but if Babble is willing to buy it again maybe I should look into at least trying a sample.
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#275 Sonja

Sonja

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hi Pierre (and everyone),
First of all, thanks for your interest in Sirčne and your purchase. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy it as much as either of us had hoped. After reading this thread last night, we pulled our Batch 26 sample, as well as several others, to recheck it. We found it to be a very representative batch, and consistent with the others. We have not changed our formula or process.

While I do not doubt your tasting experience, our absinthe is rarely described as bitter and in need of sugar - in fact, most of the folks who drink it prefer it without sugar and at about 2.5-3:1. I don't know if something happened to that bottle in between us and you, or if perhaps our absinthe is just not to your taste. Maybe the next time I'm in St. Louis, we could meet up at a bar or liquor store, and you could taste a different batch and/or we could compare them (if you have any left). That way, we could explore it further without additional investment on your part, aside from a little time? Just a thought.

Sonja Kassebaum
North Shore Distillery

#276 m.a.mccullough

m.a.mccullough

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

Maybe the next time I'm in St. Louis, we could meet up at a bar or liquor store, and you could taste a different batch and/or we could compare them (if you have any left).

Now that is customer service! :thumbup:
Absinthe Veritas, Distiller Probitas. These are the things we fight for.

#277 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

Indeed! I echo Sonja's comments that I've never found it to be bitter either. Quite citrusy and sweet, but most certainly never bitter.

Good to see you around again, Sonja. :biggrin:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#278 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

Customer service indeed!!!

First and foremost I would like to thank Sonja for the response. I did not realize that you were on the WS forums and therefore I was not expecting such a personal response. After re-reading everyone's reviews on the main page and the comments on this thread, I am sure that something must have gone awry with this bottle, as you suggested Sonja. While I do not posses the palate and knowledge to pin point the flavors as well as a lot of the members, my opinion of most absinthes I have had so far in my handful of years drinking it seem to line up pretty well in line with a lot of people (i.e. I consider Pacifique to be top tier and Kübler to be middle of the road). That's why the discrepancy surprised me. Maybe it was just an entirely different profile that took me by surprise but I still think there might have been an outside factor which changed the bottle. I will say that I have been enjoying the absinthe after the tweaking, but it still is nothing like the reviews I have read.

As for your offer to meet up to explore (revisit) Sirene I would be honored for the chance to have such a meeting. I'll even try to keep a little so we can compare them to see if maybe it was an outside factor that changed the contents.

Finally, I want to take a quick moment to thank everyone of The Wormwood Society. You really help not only with picking up superior absinthes, but also by providing a forum environment that is free of all the BS and hate that is so prevalent in other forums. Thank you everyone, and once again a special thanks to you Sonja! :cheers:

#279 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:04 AM

Maybe the next time I'm in St. Louis, we could meet ...

Hmmm, any chance you might be headed to Montana? ;) I would welcome the opportunity to visit over a glass of Sirene or any other of North Shore's fine beverages!

#280 Sonja

Sonja

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

Joe - unfortunately, no trips to Montana planned. Someday, maybe, or perhaps you'll end up heading this way with your products!

Pierre - I am thinking my next trip over there will be in March, so I will plan to get in touch with you. I look forward to it!

Brian - nice to be seen and nice to be here. It's hard keeping up with everything, so I don't get here as often as I'd like. Hope all is well with you!

:cheers:

Cheers, all.

#281 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:03 PM

As do I Sonja!

#282 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:51 AM

I just cracked open a bottle of batch #30 and louched up a glass. Without allowing the bottle any time to breathe, my impressions are that I still like Sirene and I'm glad to see it found it's way to my local booze shop(s?).

It louched just fine from my fountain. The wormwood did initially strike me as being a bit overbearing (which of course could be described as bitter), but it's also immediately apparent that it's good quality wormwood that's been used. I am thoroughly enjoying the little bites on my tongue and it provides for a long finish of absinthe-y goodness. I'll be trying it with sugar some other night to mix it up a little, but it certainly isn't needed. The citrus and mint are also both as pronounced as I remember them from my first bottle (batch #12).

As many here know there's been a lot of great absinthes released since Sirene first came on the scene. I was a little nervous about it not living up to all the great stuff I've had since then, but it most certainly has. It's hands down the best absinthe that's currently on Minnesota shelves (I swear that's not a backhanded compliment). Instead, maybe I should just say that it's currently the only absinthe on Minnesota shelves that I'll actually recommend to people.

On a scale of drink it or sink it, Sirene still falls into the drink it column.

Edited by Phoenix, 24 December 2010 - 01:55 AM.

"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#283 Pierre

Pierre

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

I actually louched up a couple of glasses last night as well Phoenix!

I have to say that now that I have finished about half the bottle I am pretty sure that my initial impressions might have been off, because I am enjoying each new glass more and more. I can't put my finger on it, but the flavor profile is a bit different than other absinthes I have had, and I think that just took me by surprise. Whatever it was... I am thoroughly enjoying Sirene.

#284 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

I have a full bottle that I'm saving for the Zombie Apocalypse ™.

Beautiful bottles by the way.

#285 Wayek

Wayek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

should I let it be known that there is only 1 bottle of Sirene Verte left in all of Ontario and I have it on order for next week?

Sonja: can we have some more please? :)
nasty prisms good sir

#286 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

Opened a ~10 year old bottle of Sirene this evening, age has certainly mellowed it nicely.  Otherwise I'd say its character is similar to what it was a decade ago.  I can't gush about it, but it's lovely.

#287 PapaScout

PapaScout

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

I have a bottle from batch 73.  I like the peppery finish to it!

#288 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:54 PM

The above recent posts prompted me to pick up a bottle of Sirene since  I haven't had it for many years.  So I picked up a bottle at

http://www.wineandli...los-angeles.php

It was batch number 12!

This is a small store that kind of specializes in rare whiskies and tequilas , and I think they must have over estimated the absinthe demand when absinthe first hit the market. They carry about a dozen or so brands. I was able to get the original formula Obsello two years after it went out of production.  (Gives you an idea how slowly some booze can move off the shelf. )

So, this bottle of Sirene tasted pretty darn good, better than I remember.  I can't say if its because of age or not.  No sign of any degradation at all in taste or a looks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2018 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association