• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

#1 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

I thought this should have its own post as information accumulates.

Here is the ad-copy.

We take a very traditional approach to creating Sirène. We use the traditional trinity of absinthe ingredients along with a proprietary blend of additional botanicals to create Sirène's richness and complexity. The process requires a significant amount of time, preparation and botanicals, but the result is worth the effort.

It is being put out by North Shore Distillery in Chicago. I sent an email for more info and received this:

Thanks very much for your email. There will indeed be more information
soon, and we expect the product to be available in the Chicago area in
about 10 days or so. I can certainly send you a note once its made it to
some area stores, we are finalizing the logistics & distribution next
We'll have some events to celebrate the launch as well, so perhaps your
group will be able to come and meet us and taste our absinthe in person!

..Sonja..

Ten days? So much for advance notice! I guess this way I only have to wait ten days instead of sweat for months like previous releases.

In your FACE east and west coasts!
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#2 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

Ten days!
Chicago is about a 7 hour drive, and I haven't been there in a month or so... :g:

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

#3 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:16 AM

Unless the actual brand or fanciful name is different, they don't have label approval yet. Perhaps the TTB has notified them that they'll be getting approval in 10 days, or something. I don't know what Illinois requires as far as label registration/approval.

"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#4 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,848 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:09 AM

I'm glad you commented on this, Dakini. I have only looked at the COLA site a few times and thought I missed something, but I couldn't find it either.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

#5 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:34 AM

I simply did a search like anyone else can. I just set the date range for this year, and searched for "sirene", and no results. Well I think there was a wine or something. Let me expand my search...

<searching>

Their Rhuginger No 6 gin (flavored gin) was approved back in July 07. The Tahitian Vanilla Vodka in November 07. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

<thinking, searching again>

Found it. :) Hint: è

So it looks like you will be able to make that trip soon. Let us know now it is. :pirate:

"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Distiller and Proprietor, Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. DSP-NY-15019. www.delawarephoenix.com

#6 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,848 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

No kidding! I didn't even think to change the 'e' to 'è'. DUH! So, there is a verte and a blanche. Our choices are increasing. I just hope it is something good!

HP Lovecraft

#7 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

Let us know now it is.

I should start a collection of these beauts. I love it when the mistakes are more appropriate than what was intended.

And I'm surprised at the specificity of the COLA search engine. Now I know why I didn't see it either.

#8 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

:laf:

Perhaps this means I'll have to learn how to use the wild card character.

Give me grep and I'll find anything.

#9 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

"Green Sirene" with "proprietary blend of additional botanicals?" Jeebus and give me a break. Why don't these Johnny-come-lately's to absinthe just focus on making a standard absinthe? I keep coming back to the probability that they don't know jack about absinthe and are guessing as to what real absinthe is, hence all the crap like nettles, tarragon and such.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin and vodka.
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#10 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

If they can't craft a quality absinthe, they'll cover it with bullshit.

#11 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,848 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

It'll be interesting to hear the reviews on Sirène. It would be nice to have an absinthe that would be worthy of driving 7 hours to get. It would have to be damned good!

HP Lovecraft

#12 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

I will buy a bottle as soon as it is available. I have the government bribe money coming my way soon and I am looking to spend it on things that will in no way ease my financial burden. I shall keep all posted.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#13 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:45 AM

To be honest, my expectations aren't high. But I'll refrain until I've actually tasted it.

Maybe a group would be interested in sending money to Poor to get a bottle for samples?

#14 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:50 AM

Good idea, DP!

Poor: would you be comfortable with that?
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#15 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

I'm in.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#16 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

Hm, I like the way you think LeRoy. Maybe it's time for a road trip. Chicago is very nice in the spring.
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#17 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• 2,848 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

:g:

Road trip or not, I would pitch in for a sample bottle.

HP Lovecraft

#18 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

I have the government bribe money coming my way soon and I am looking to spend it on things that will in no way ease my financial burden.

Wow, I kept thinking I had to wait until my birthday in July to get some funds to really bolster my absinthe collection, but you brightened my near future by reminding me that the government will be footing that bill. Looks like I'm going to get a lot more than just the Duplais and the Bravans. Jade anyone???

#19 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

I would be down for it. Just let me know proper protocol (what sort of bottles to use, ect.) and I will be the go to guy. What is the standard sample increment?

BTW- Chicago going to start getting pretty in about a week or so, now is the time to visit before the pavement starts to absorb too much sun. Summer in Chicago smells like half baked black top and compressed diesel exhaust. I enjoy this, but it would seem to be an acquired taste.

#20 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:11 AM

750ml is 25 fluid ounces. You'd get 12 2 oz samples or 6 4 oz samples. I guess it would depend on how many people sign up.

Here's the list so far:

DP
Retrogarde
LeRoy
Shabba
Selmac <--- edited to add
Speedle <--- edited to add
Zman <--- edited to add
Peridot <--- edited to add
pt447 <--- edited to add
butch <--- edited to add

I'm up for a 4 oz sample.

Poor, I'll PM you with my address. You can tell interested folks where to send the check, or small unmarked bills. Or Paypal, if you like.

Do we have any other interested parties?

Edited by dakini_painter, 16 April 2008 - 03:25 AM.

#21 Selmac

Selmac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:06 AM

I'm in.
Walking the ocean
Any time I take the notion

#22 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

Sign me up. Where do I send the paypal dough to?
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#23 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

Sign me up to. Just tell me where and how to send the cashola.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin and vodka.
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#24 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

I'm interested too. Let me know.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#25 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:24 PM

I'm sure I missed the answer to this question, and if not, I'm curious as to why nobody has asked, but how much would a sample cost? There has to be a limit of people who could get in on this, no? if you want a minimum 2-4 oz. sample like you said. Either way, I'd be interested to know the damage.

#26 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Founder

• Root Admin
  • 11,383 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

"Green Sirene" with "proprietary blend of additional botanicals?" Jeebus and give me a break. Why don't these Johnny-come-lately's to absinthe just focus on making a standard absinthe? I keep coming back to the probability that they don't know jack about absinthe and are guessing as to what real absinthe is, hence all the crap like nettles, tarragon and such.

Dude, talk about speculating beyond the data.

Introducing Sirène Absinthe Verte Like the sirens of Greek mythology, Sirène will tempt you. With a beautiful, nuanced aroma and flavor, Sirène embodies the rich tradition and history of absinthe.

Absinthe has always been a favorite spirit at North Shore Distillery - first as a curiosity on our world travels, then as a fascination. We have tasted many variations and have been working on our own recipes for years. Now that is possible to actually introduce one to the market, we are excited to share this incredible absinthe with you.

Creating Sirène
We take a very traditional approach to creating Sirène. We use the traditional trinity of absinthe ingredients along with a proprietary blend of additional botanicals to create Sirène's richness and complexity. The process requires a significant amount of time, preparation and botanicals, but the result is worth the effort.

Absinthe Culture
Much more than just an interesting spirit, fascinating rituals and culture revolve around consuming absinthe. It has always been a social drink. Think of having a cup of coffee at the neighborhood coffee shop, a glass of wine at an outdoor café, or sharing a hookah at a Middle Eastern restaurant. Absinthe is best enjoyed while casually sitting with friends, enjoying the company and conversation - slow down for a few minutes and have the experience. In today's world, none of us take enough time for ourselves or to really enjoy the moment.

I think that may be the most reasonable and reassuring promo I've read from a newcomer.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin

Please don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and consider a subscription donation.
Every bit helps the further development of the site and future events.

#27 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

• 3,825 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

speedle, it's up to Poor to decide how he wants the bucks, he's the one making the effort.

pt447, I can't tell you what the damage will be because no one knows what the price of a bottle is. And Poor might not know until he gets to the store. Let's pull a number out of the air: $75. I have no idea if this is close, it could be $100 for all I know. But let's use the $75 as a starting point.

$75 divide by 12 (number of 2 ounce samples) = $6.25
Plus $2 for the bottle (probably less)
Plus postage, $3-$5, depending on the size of the package, it's packaging and how far it has to go.

So $15 for a 2 oz sample, $20 for a 4 oz (the bottle and shipping probably the same).

I personally will add some extra for the person who's going to all the effort of doing this. (hint: a tip)

pt447, yes, the limit is based on Poor's patience and willingness to do the packaging and mailing as well as purchasing.

So it's up to Poor now to decide how to do this. So 9 people want samples, and not everyone can get a 4 oz sample. Unless Poor gets two bottles, and decides to keep half that's leftover.

I'm not expecting great absinthe here, but I hope they did well enough to keep developing the products further.

Edited by dakini_painter, 15 April 2008 - 02:55 PM.

#28 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#29 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:52 PM

Excellent breakdown. I'm in!!!

#30 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

Thank you for laying it out Dakini. Trying to work those figures would have caused brain damage (not the fun kind). As soon as I find out the price I will let everyone know. Also, there is the verte/blanche question. If this stuff is around $75 or below, I can afford the outlay for two bottles and gladly drink the remainder that is not sampled, but if this stuff turns out to be in the $100 range I will only be able to afford one bottle.

Update- I just did a little research between St. George products and North Shore products. This probably has absolutely no bearing on absinthe prices but Comparing Hangar One at 34.99 to North Shore Vodka at 27.99, maybe the North shore offering will be cheaper?

Probably not, ah well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2017 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association