Sign in to follow this  
dakini_painter

The absinthe you've been waiting for!

If you read the COLA closely, originally it was rejected. This was a resubmission. Of course, the TTB doesn't tell the public what the reasoning was on the initial rejection.

The fact that TTB got them to state explicitly that beet alcohol is used will be a problem here I think. It won't matter how common it is in Europe, or if it's just as good as corn alcohol (which is where most GNS comes from). But it does indicate what TTB will expect of absinthe labeling in general. It'll be interesting if the next grape spirit based absinthe has to call itself a brandy. I don't remember Kübler having to state the actual source of their base, did they?

It'll be interesting to see how they price it.

Kübler states that they use grain neutral spirits. In a "distilled spirits specialty" you have to make a statement of content, including the commodity the spirits are made from. La Tourment, being pre-sweetened, qualifies as a "Herbs & Seeds Schnapps Liqueur" (665) and therefore has a class (liqueur) and needn't make the statement of content. It's the only absinthe product here that doesn't, so far.

I've never tried any of La Fee's products and I have very little curiosity to ever do so. My understanding is, though, that as compounded absinthes go you can do a lot worse. And as far assbinths available in Amerika go, you will do worse. Give it time.

I am curious to see how they price it. A reasonable price point may convince more distributors to pick it up and quickly move it into stores and gas stations all across Amerika. Ability to meet demand will not be as big a factor as with distilled absinthes. I imagine they will probably pursue a more aggressive advertising campaign as well. It will be very interesting to see what tack that might take.

In any case, I think this only indicates that the wave of US approved absinthes is building. When it crests is anybody's guess at this point, but we're not there by a long shot. For good and bad.

$65 a bottle.

So much for the resurgence of a “working class” absinthe then, eh? (not as if we were looking forward to that anyhow) Pricing off of hopeful hype alone?

I’ll be interested to see how long the ‘fan base’ lasts. If anything I suppose (IMHO) that jumping on board the train now will guarantee limited -or at least initial- success. Eh, someone somewhere will make a buck or two and someone’s bound to drink it.

In fact, the new customers I was referring to would be distributors. The price point is still steep to entice brand-new legal drinkers. The question remains what image La Fee will choose to project.

I confess to being mildly curious, curious enough to try it if someone else was laying out the dosh.

I read a half decent review of it on Absinthe.se once. There....I've said it!

(Alan, that cheque from La Fee had better be in the post tomorrow as promised, my reputation is on the line here, not to mention my ass!)

So no cheque then? It was all for nothing! Maybe La Fee will send me a freebie for the plug anyway.

Where is that no account southerner anyway?

Interesting. It's definitely the most palatable oil mix I've tried, and La Fee is one of the few easily available absinthes in Australia. While the price is steep, it's still quite a bit cheaper than the distilled absinthes. I actually like the artwork of the bottle and spoon, aside from the neon green liquid.

But there doesn't seem to be any marketing for it whatsoever. I've not come across a single ad in any medium.

Still, this all makes me want to try some Jade or Marteux. Elf needs food badly.

Still, this all makes me want to try some Jade....

Now your talkin'! ........OK, I'll call off the posse.

C'mon boys, back to the saloon! The drinks are on dannyhawaii.

post-702-1207659462_thumb.jpg

I read a half decent review of it on Absinthe.se once.
Well, Hartsmar isn't afraid to scrape the very bottom of the barrel, so it's all relative.

Thomas, you missed it, as it happened in your absinthes: Alan doesn't work for La Fee anymore. ;)

Of course, there are rumors that he may be able to get you a bottle of the La Fee Suisse XS, but that's just a technicality.

That's just too much money for oils and dyes. I might keep it on hand if it was 30 bucks. I've got to wonder what the profit margin is on Le Fee versus Lucid, both of which cost about the same.

Importation, distributor markup and taxes accounts for a lot of it, but Pernod Anis is made the same way and imported from the same country. If they used a premium grape spirit, maybe, but not with beet spirit.

I might keep it on hand if it was 30 bucks.

I might keep it on hand if it were $15.

Hell, even Pernod Anis is only $30 from the ABC store.

Not so fast, Thomas.

OK, so you got the jump on me this time my friend. But it's gonna be a long night, and I'll bet you a thousand dollars that you go to sleep before I do.

Blimey! $65/bottle for La Fee?

Not the smartest of ideas, given that I can get Lucid for less than that from drinkupny.com

If they priced it at, oh, $35/bottle, I might actually keep a bottle in the house, if only to keep oafish party guests away from my Jade stash.

Ah well...

- Johanna

I must have some of this La Pee.

On a pleasanter note, I just received a bottle of La Tourniquet (intending to add all US offerings to my collection). I may not continue this collecting bit after all.

I got one word for ya: greenlisterine.