Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Lucid and Kübler can be gotten at the speakeasy lounge known as:

The Violet Hour
1520 N. Damen
Chicago IL 60622

The presentation is complete with fountain, spoons, and of course, sugar if you want. Be sure and ask for sugar on the side, and also mention the spoon.

Google Maps

Also, Lucid is sold at most Binny's Beverage Depot stores in the Chicago area, the one in particular I visited being at:

1132 S. Jefferson
Chicago, IL 60607

Google Maps
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#2 bsbiederman

bsbiederman

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

I believe Binny's also sells Kübler.
"It is sometimes a mistake to climb; it is always a mistake never even to make the attempt. If you do not climb you will not fall. This is true. But is it that bad to fail, that hard to fall? Sometimes you wake, and sometimes, yes, you die. But there is a third alternative... you fly." - Neil Gaiman's The Sandman

#3 Poor

Poor

Fancy Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

How was the Violet Hour? I was at a show across the street and saw the huge line to get in. I like the "Post No Bills" all over the boarded up exterior, but it looked like at least $15 to get in plus at least $10 for a drink from what I have heard.
"Babies belong in this lake, go ahead, throw him in!" said the Baby Eating Monster that lives in the lake.

#4 Leif Rogers

Leif Rogers

• PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

Binny's (at least the binny's in plainfield...) sells Kübler, Lucid, and Sirene.

As for the Violet Hour...

I don't know about the 15 buck cover (I got in for free) but, yes, 10 or so bucks for a drink.
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

#5 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:06 AM

I thought the Violet Hour was a blast, truly. No cover, we were guided in by our hostess who was as hot as can be, and once seated were doted on constantly. The drinks are 11 bucks each, and are from a fixed, seasonal menu. All excellent, I might add. The only minor quibble I could make is that they serve Absinthe in what are essentially OJ glasses, but, if you request, you do get the spoon, and the fountain comes as well, of course.

Not least, due to the laws in Chicago, I got home and didn't smell like a smoky bar!

:cheers:
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#6 Bkultra

Bkultra

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:08 PM

New event in Chicago.......

http://www.nbcchicag...reen-Fairy.html

#7 Timothy B.

Timothy B.

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

Notes from a visit to Chicago from January 2009:

And here's the info I got back from Sonja at North Shore:

"Unfortunately we are not really open for tours at North Shore Distillery - we hope to offer them later in the year, but it's a challenge for us given our size and personnel (just the two of us and one part-time employee). Plus, in Illinois we are not allowed to sample or sell at our place, which is unfortunate.

There are some great bars here that do a nice job with absinthe and with classic cocktails. The Violet Hour is fantastic and worth a trip - definitely go early or late on a Saturday night or you'll be waiting (outside). Last I checked, they open at 6 pm, and they stay open quite late.

Some other bars to check out with respectable absinthe service - the Drawing Room (great cocktails & food too), Delilah's (fantastic whiskey selection, fun rocker vibe, and the owner is an absinthe enthusiast extraordinaire), and In Fine Spirits Lounge (in Andersonville on the north side - unique absinthe selection, and great cocktails), for starters. I could go on, let me know if you want some restaurant recommendations and/or more cocktail bars!"

Apparently Binny's has a bar in their South Loop(?) store and serve several different absinthes.

Also the Cotes du Rhone restaurant did an awesome job supporting our wine tasting.

#8 Sonja

Sonja

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

The South Loop Binny's does indeed have a bar, and they sell spirits by the glass. It's a great way to try many things, they often have nice bottles open. They don't have every absinthe the store carries open, but they do have several open at any one time.

We have recently been invited to a big absinthe tasting event here in Chicago - it's my understanding that all producers who are selling the market are being invited as well. Should be a great opportunity to taste all the absinthes available in Chicago. Once I have the final details, I'll post an update here. :cheers:

#9 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

The details.

It refers to "tasting all sixteen different absinthes currently available in America." As Sonja states, it seems to be all the absinthes available in Chicago (I make it about 30 available anywhere in the USA).
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#10 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

Sweet Fancy Moses! I'll actually be in Chicago that day. Perhaps I'll go.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#11 Sonja

Sonja

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

I hope you can make it! And anyone else in the area as well. It should be a fun, informal way to try a bunch of absinthes without investing in bottles. The owner of Delilah's is an absinthe collector, he travels to Europe quite often and has a personal collection that might rival Shabba's.

#12 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

Any updates on the state of absinthe in Chicago? I'll be there from Oct 31st to Nov 10th and I'm looking to sample as many American brands as possible!

So far The Violet Hour seems to be the only possibility for a night out but I'm hoping on going to Delilah's at some point and seeing what can come of that.

While I'm at it, how might I get hold of some Marteau while I'm there? Ship it from DUNY?

#13 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Binny's still seems to have the biggest selection.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#14 Sonja

Sonja

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

For retail stores, Binny's will have the largest selection. I'd recommend visiting the South Loop store, it's huge and has the largest section of absinthe I am aware of. They also have a bar in the store, and usually have a few bottles open and available for tasting. They have a fountain or two, and their prices are very reasonable.

Some other places to visit that do traditional absinthe service:

In Fine Spirits (5420 N. Clark, so on the far N side) - mentioned before -they have 4 or 5 choices
Drawing Room (937 N. Rush) - also mentioned before, they have 4 or 5 choices also,
somewhat different from In Fine Spirits
Le Bar at the Sofitel - (20 E. Chestnut) - they have 4 choices, I believe one is LTV
Those latter two are close to each other, a couple of blocks apart.

Delilah's does have pretty much all of the absinthes available in Chicago on the bar, so about 20 choices. Going there will provide a great opportunity to try a bunch of them.

Cheers and have fun!

Marteau is not available in this market yet, so if you want to get it you'll have to ship it to someone here. Perhaps Hiram can update on his progress in that regard.

#15 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, guys. I do believe I'll grab a bottle of Sirene and Clandestine at the nearest possible establishment tonight, just in time for a Halloween nightcap. Which is about the same time I arrive in Chicago after a 20+ hour flight ... could be interesting.

#16 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:32 PM

I'll grab a bottle of Sirene and Clandestine

That's an excellent plan!

Maybe next time, you'll add Montana on your itinerary?

#17 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

Edited by pierreverte, 15 February 2010 - 04:16 PM.

Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#18 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,635 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

You misspelled 'bump'.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#19 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:56 PM

It was getting to be a dead cow of a thread.
- cogito ergo louche

#20 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

a 'Mrs. O'Leary's Cow' kind of dead?

Anyway, Chicago should have Vieux Pontarlier, Pacifique and Voyager Gin, Duplais and Mansinthe in selected bars and shops in around a month...

Edited by pierreverte, 16 February 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#21 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

Vieux Pontarlier, Pacifique, Duplais, Mansinthe and Voyager gin now all available at Binny's:

http://www.binnys.co...;astxt=absinthe
http://www.binnys.co...p;astxt=voyager

#22 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,806 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

Niiiiice! When are the other Tempus Fugit products coming out?

Attached File  Green_Hour___Tempus_Fugit_table_2.JPG   33.95KB   7 downloads
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#23 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

during the year, sooner than later...

Edited by pierreverte, 05 March 2010 - 05:43 PM.

#24 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

Yeah baby!

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#25 accountant

accountant

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

Awesome news! I'll be able to take a short bus ride and pick up Pacifique! Yes!
hmm that's a tasty hamburger!

#26 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

short bus

Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#27 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,635 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

That was a very spedcial partial quote, Ron, thanks. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#28 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Someone mentioned a short train ride the other day, and I missed my opportunity. I couldn't pass this one up though.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#29 accountant

accountant

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

Real Funny :thumbup:
hmm that's a tasty hamburger!

#30 JoeyBear

JoeyBear

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

I was at the Binny's off North Avenue this past weekend, the one that was a Sam's Warehouse Liquors, and they have an amazing selection. There is also the Absinthe Cafe a mile or so west on North Ave. and Milwaukee. I didn't stop at the Absinthe Cafe because I had a non-drinker with me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association