• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 tayker

tayker

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

I understand that things "evolve," but, IMO, there are some things that don't evolve because it's pre-defined. For example, a martini started out as a gin and vermouth based drink. Granted, over time some have switched the gin to vodka. But should the ignorance of a lot of people force the drink to change? I'm of the opinion that people should be educated to the world around them, not the other way around.

Crap, there was an article from the recent Psychology Today that had a brilliant quote from a dictionary editor that I feel is appropriate. Unfortunately I don't have my mag with me.

Anyway, what say you? Help me DrinkBoy Kenobi, you're my only hope.
When a person who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, they will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest.

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:09 AM

Being a traditionalist in this respect, a Martini's primary ingredients are Gin and Vermouth. If you change one of the primary ingredients, it ain't the same cocktail. If you used vodka instead of tequila, would it still be a margarita? Nope.

I will concede that if one makes it with vodka, it should be called a 'vodka martini', but that's the only permutation I'd be comfortable with.

Just because a cocktail is served in a martini glass, that doesn't make it a martini.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 Lyrt

Lyrt

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Cultural titbit: in France, if you order a Martini, you’ll just get a sweet vermouth.

Posted Image

#4 ejellest

ejellest

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:09 AM

Well, language evolves, and with no governmental oversight committee, like they have in France, there's not much you can do about it.

To trot out an old saw, the word "cocktail" originally meant a drink composed of spirits, bitters, sugar, and water. That's it. Over time, it came to refer to just about anything served at a bar that wasn't wine, beer, or straight spirits.

For a while it seemed like the term "martini" was going to replace the term "cocktail" as a generic term for just about any mixed drink served in a cocktail glass at a bar.

Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but it seems like the pendulum is maybe swinging away from that turn of events. I still see a lot of "Martini Menus" in restaurants, but less and less among bartenders I'm seeing such and such mixed drink being referred to as a "Martini".

Anyway, to me, a Martini is: Dry Gin, Dry Vermouth, orange bitters, and a lemon twist. I think a vodka Martini is technically a Kangaroo Cocktail or something like that?

~Erik
Erik Ellestad
Bernal Heights, San Francisco, CA, USA

#5 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

What novel topic. I've never thought about this before.

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

:laf:

Anyway, to me, a Martini is: Dry Gin, Dry Vermouth, orange bitters, and a lemon twist. I think a vodka Martini is technically a Kangaroo Cocktail or something like that?

You are correct, sir! :cheers:

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#7 Helfrich

Helfrich

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

To me Martini is a vermouth brand created by Alessandro Martini and Luigi Rossi in 1863.

#8 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

You mean those two created something other than that sophisticated, and ultra-complex Asti Spumanti?

Who knew? :twitchsmile:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#9 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

To me Martini is a vermouth brand created by Alessandro Martini and Luigi Rossi in 1863.

So if I walked into a nice pub in the Netherlands and wanted the US version of a martini, what would I ask for?

#10 peridot

peridot

Floccinaucinihilipilificator Extraordinaire

• Content Team
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

What novel topic. I've never thought about this before.

Yeah, since I've never published my thoughts on that issue before I won't now.

Throng of Shoggoths: Lovecraftian Sludge

Pudwich: 90's style hard rock

My stupid facebutt page.

#11 Rick Andress

Rick Andress

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

But should the ignorance of a lot of people force the drink to change? I'm of the opinion that people should be educated to the world around them, not the other way around.

"Oh wad a gif the gif he gie us to see ourselves as others see us" -Robert Burns

#12 Helfrich

Helfrich

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

So if I walked into a nice pub in the Netherlands and wanted the US version of a martini, what would I ask for?

I don't have the faintest idea, but I do know that in Europe Martini is just the name of a popular industrial brand that evolved from the vermouth created by Martini and Rossi.

#13 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:33 AM

And so it stayed here. Unfortunately, Martini Bitter is not available in bars just as Martini d'Oro.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#14 Flying-V

Flying-V

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:38 PM

I would suggest to order a Martini Cocktail.

When a friend and I ordered a "Martini" a couple of years ago in NY,
the waiter served something strange.

We insisted that it was no Red Martini, the guy nodded and returned with something even worse.

Indeed we tried to order what we liked as apéritif at that time:
Martini Rosso. ( http://www.martini.com )

A similar surprise happened when I ordered my first beer in the US.

The fluid they served did not have much in common with what I am used to. :)

Alcohol makes communication significantly more difficult.

#15 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

I don't have the faintest idea, but I do know that in Europe, Martini is just the name of a popular industrial brand that evolved from the vermouth created by Martini and Rossi.

Sounds pretty hot.

T-How about "firetini"? ;)

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#16 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

A similar surprise happened when I ordered my first beer in the US.

Or as H. Allen Smith reportedly said after he drank his first American beer. "Put it back in the horse."
You'll not find too many fans of 'Merican mainstream beer around these parts. :cheers:

Am I to understand that the classic martini (4 parts gin, 1 part dry vermouth and a dash of orange bitters) is not a common cocktail in Europe? It is undoubtedly my second favorite beverage.

#17 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

I'm not from the civilized part of Europe but I can tell you that cocktails are a very recent import to this country. Used to be, not long ago, no matter where you went, if you ordered something as simple as a rum and coke you'd get a glass of coke and a shot of rum on the side. Martini here means a vermouth apertif. If you go to a high-class, progressive drinking establishment and order a martini cocktail you might get what you'd expect in America. Several years ago at a newer up-scale restaurant in Prague a visiting friend had to settle for straight gin after several confusions trying to order a martini.

Just add it to the list of differences between Amerika and Europe. Speaking of differences, I wouldn't suggest giving your sweetie's fanny a loving pat in public if you're anywhere in Britain.

#18 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

Am I to understand that the classic martini (4 parts gin, 1 part dry vermouth and a dash of orange bitters) is not a common cocktail in Europe?

Not exactly, since 1982 it was well-known here if only available in restaurants, bars not everyone could afford. However, "Kuchnia warszawska" written by Dr Stanisław Berger (ed.) from 1961 mentions "Martini cocktail" prepared exactly that way as you mention.

Nowadays, Martini: rosso, rose, bianco and extra dry you will find with other aperitifs in their section, whereas Martini Cocktail will be found separately in "Cocktails" section. Cocktails here are unfortunately expensive and you have no warranty that you are not cheated by the bartender. Safer it is to order them alone and mix according to your preferences, just as Pan Buh says, if I have to admit, since 2000 Rum and Coke is a very common drink in Poland.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#19 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

in Europe Martini is just the name of a popular industrial brand that evolved from the vermouth created by Martini and Rossi.

I don't care what part of the world you're in, if you go into a cocktail bar and they don't know what a "Dry Martini Cocktail" is, you're in the wrong bar. It's not like that many American bartenders know what a Dry Martini is. Most think it's a glass of cold vodka.

Speaking of differences, I wouldn't suggest giving your sweetie's fanny a loving pat in public if you're anywhere in Britain.

"Fanny pack" takes on a whole new meaning.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#20 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Alcohol makes communication significantly more difficult.

Only if you drink too much of it. ;)
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#21 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Speaking of differences, I wouldn't suggest giving your sweetie's fanny a loving pat in public if you're anywhere in Britain.

HA! No one commented, but that didn't slip under my radar.

#22 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

So what would say your preferred brand of Vermouth is?
BTW I like the way ths site looks...

#23 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

Speaking of differences, I would suggest giving your sweet fanny a loving pat in public.

Oh. Well, thanks, PB. :blush:

#24 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

What happened to Rossi?

Posted Image

#25 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Sleepin' with the fishes.

Brooks, I commented. ;)

Butch, I can use M&R in a pinch, but I prefer Ponti. I don't know how widely available it is, but I get it at Trader Joe's. Their red is better than their white; for white I get Noilly Pratt, which also makes a very nice red, but I still prefer the Ponti when I can get it.

www.absinthemarteau.com

#26 Le Gimp

Le Gimp

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

I've got Noilly Pratt, I avoid M&R if I can.

#27 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:28 PM

Brooks, I commented.

So you did! I love watching Brits stifle hilarity when Americans use that word. :shifty:

#28 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:41 AM

What happened to Rossi?

Since 1922 the company is known as Martini, whereas since 1992 as Bacardi-Martini Group. Noilly Prat as such is a brand owned by Martini as well.

The name "Martini & Rossi" on the front label is said to be seen only on the bottles sold in the U.S. (so as not cause confusion with the Cocktail), in Europe, the front label is "Martini", "Martini & Rossi" or "M&R" is usually on the back.

#29 Lyrt

Lyrt

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

I have Tanqueray gin, Noilly Prat dry vermouth. I need suggestions for orange bitter. Thank you.

#30 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

Regan's Orange Bitters. If you can't find them locally, you can order them from Amazon.com (but don't tell PB) and probably any number of other places.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association