Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion Stone

Kallnacher Absinth

Could be as simple as improper preparation. Too little water is an easy way to hate what you're drinking.

I tried Kallnacher last night for the first time and LOVED it! It was less harsh than the BdF and had a lemony taste in it at first sip that was very pleasant. It also lacked the ugg taste that I often notice just before swallowing (perhaps its the wine butter I'm tasting). I need to try the Kübler again to compare the two but so far I like the Kallnacher better.

Ok, I need the help of those with more discerning palates than mine.

What strong flavored and smelling ingredient does the Kübler and BdF have that the Kallnacher does not? Pensieve notices it right away and describes it as "plastic." I have no idea what she means but she identifies it consistently blind (we are doing a side by side Kübler and Kallnacher taste). She says she does not notice it at all in the Kallnacher and that it is in the forefront in the Kübler and BdF. She also has not noticed it in the FG, VdF, or any Jade.

Help

You got me. Kübler and FG are so similar the only thing I can think of the Kübler has that FG doesn't is fennel. The BdF is unlike any of these and Kallnacher is just kind of odd (too much mint, IMHO).

I'm going to guess it may be fennel. It has a somewhat pine-like quality, almost like a licorice-y gin kind of taste, but subtle.

Ya, I don't know what it is. I can smell it too, like if I smelled either one of those I think I would know instantly that it was one of the two, I'm not sure I could identify others by smell without comparing them to something else.

Roman chamomile, maybe?

I'm pretty sure it's in the Kübler and BDF but none of the others you mentioned. It tastes nothing like plastic, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Any reason to think the difference is in the processing/distillation/etc... rather than the ingredients? I know there are other threads that discuss the vagaries of distillation, but is there something specific you are thinking of, Artemis?

Artemis makes a valid point. It could be nothing more than the large plastic barrels they store the distillate in (I've seen photos of such barrels at the Kübler distillery.)

I'd be disinclined to think it has anything to do with the distillation process itself, since Kübler and BDF are made by distinctly different methods using distinctly different equipment.

I don't know what it is. All I was saying is that there are so many variables, including the way herbs work WITH EACH OTHER in varying amounts, distillation variables, quality of the alcohol, quality of the herbs, etc. etc. that you cannot assume one herb or the lack of it made it taste like it did. It's also possible that one herb did just that. Personally, I don't know. I attributed the taste of Kallnacher to poor distillation control, but I could be wrong. All I know for sure is I didn't like it.

I need to try the Kübler again to compare the two but so far I like the Kallnacher better.

Same here, the Kübler seemed to have a slightly harsh note to it. Let me clarify.....I liked the Kübler, I just like Kallnacher better :thumbup:

Having only bought 4 types of Absinthe, and not having a very discriminating palate, i will go out on a limb and guess that unless what you offer me is some over-hyped CzechKrap...I'm drinking it.

I have been accused of needing brains....

Anyway, since I just recently tried Kallnacher, it seemed proper to rezz an old thread rather than start a new one. Maybe some of the veterans can reexamine their previous opinions. Has no one had anything to say about Kall in a year and a half , or is there a thread i didnt see?

Now i am wondering what to order next. Of F.Guy, Kübler and Kallnacher i like Kall the best, what might be the next step up?

If you are talking incremental rather than finish line recommendations, may I suggest the Eichelberger 68 or 60. Among my favorites.

Blanchette and Clandestine La Bleue I should think if you're looking to move up. I also like Eichelberger. In the same category as Kübler and Kallnacher, the La Valotes and Elixir du Pays des Fées are very tasty. I haven't tried La P'tite but it also seems highly regarded here. So little time, so many fine beverages. :cheers:

Thanks. Between T73 and Auguru, thats 2 votes for Eichelberger. Is the 60 or 68 green? None of the four I've

purchased so far have been green. F.Guy is yellowish, the others are Bleue or Blanche.

Both Eichelbergers are vertes. I haven't decided which I like better, having only had a couple glasses of the 60 so far... The 68 limitée is easier to come by (more vendors carry it) and there are more reviews to use as a guide. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with any of the Eichelbergers. :cheers:

Other than the Ikes, the list I posted were blanches, sort of addressing the thread. Sorry if I misunderstood your intent. My favorite's list gets longer with the vertes. ;)

I agree, go green. The vertes are my favourites. Try the Edouard and VS65 from Jade or even the VdF. Get ready for more complexity though. The Ike is good but very spicy and may be too far of a leap.