Greenhorn

Coupe: Coup ou Coucou? (I think it's pretty, I believe it is old, but was it for absinthe?)

First of all, I apologize to anyone who actually speaks French for that attempt at a catchy title.

This was billed as a coupe-style absinthe glass.

post-1759-1205608161_thumb.jpg

I do think it's very pretty. I'm guessing it's old (for example there are a few tiny bubbles in it), but don't claim to be an expert in this. It is blown, rather than molded. I do wonder if it really a coupe for absinthe, as opposed to something like champagne, based on a few considerations:

1) Reservoir size: In the above picture you can see a "reservoir" in the stem (I know, PF01 would have provided more contrast that Roquette 1797). This only holds about 15cc though. The glass can hold about 200cc leaving a reasonable margin at the top. This would still allow a 5:1 dilution of a 30cc dose.

2) Proportions: The glass is 3.75" (9.5cm) in diameter, and 4.75" (12cm) tall. This makes it too wide for many spoons unless you place them tangentially. One could use one of the "Les Cuilleres" types I suppose. It's also too wide for at least some brouilleurs (at least the one I have--I don't know how standard they were).

3) Material: I believe this is crystal. Most absinthe glasses were barware and not crystal. On the other hand, if there are silver absinthe spoons, I suppose there could be crystal absinthe glasses, right?

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks.

It's usually what we consider a "coupe" absinthe glass.

There are only shown in the Portieux catalogues.

Very nice anyway.

no dripper can fit them

I've seen Pontarlier, Cordon or even East glasses with 1.5-2cl doses, and remember some absinthe glass models have no dose at all.

The dose itself is not really significative, the total capacity is more significative to differentiate absinthe glasses from other liquor/spirit glasses, so if yours can hold 20-25cl total, then it could well be an absinthe glass. It could also well be a Vermouth glass but who could tell with certitude?

The only thing that worries me a little is the thickness, could you take a picture of it side by side with a repro we're all familiar with?

no dripper can fit them

Correction after re-reading the measurements: some very old and very thick drippers were 10-12cm in diameter but they don't look really nice on 'coupe' glasses, they were more designed for the big thick East glasses.

There are only shown in the Portieux catalogues

I forgot about the Croismare catalogue too where they're named absinthe or Vermouth glasses.

Thank you for your help.

Here is the coupe on the right, with a (modern) Jade glass on the lower left and one of your foster children on the upper left.

post-1759-1205701687_thumb.jpg

The background is a bit different for each glass because I was trying to get the rims all at the same level.

The coupe is a bit thinner than the Chope Yvonne, but definitely thicker than the Jade glass.

It is also slightly thicker than the Pontarlier repro from La Maison d'Absinthe, but thinner than an old torsades.

Hmmm... It looks a lot like a strange mutation of a "coupe" absinthe glass and a champagne coupe.

My first impression was that the coupe itself would've been deeper and larger for this to fit in the absinthe coupe category. But then, the "dose" doesn't fit the style of an ordinary champagne coupe either...

I'd throw it away.

;)

I've seen those glasses in the 'absinthe glass' category before.

Looks like it has a decent thickness, could well be one.