Sign in to follow this  
TheHearTburNcaT

Any preferences

I'm looking into buying a spoon or a grill . Any suggestions on the two? I have a dripper, and i'm using a friends spoon considering i just constucted my first fountain. But the time will come when i have to give the spoon back. But let me say i haven't ever tasted a colder drink since i made the fountain. Will have pics up soon. So please i am open to suggestions thanks !

Get a good spoon with a pointy end like they said. Also, I've found that not all spoons are the same when it comes to functionality. The smaller the holes, the better the sugar will dissolve. Large holes tend to let sugar chunks fall through in my experience. There's a repro out there that's known as the Lautrec spoon. While I don't think there is any proof that Lautrec ever owned such a spoon, it extremely functional. I have an antique Les Cuilleres #3 and while it's really pretty, it generally allows the sugar cube to break up and fall into the drink. I only use it when I'm using a glass too large for my normal spoons.

I got your spork right here:

I don't even know where that spork has gotten to. I think it needs a little modification...more holes towards the back. I'll get right on it.

Hey Trid,

I need one of them sporks fer my vitamin water Pontarlier glass. Can you make me one?? :thumbup:

But to the topic at hand, I really don't understand grills at all. Pouring granulated sugar into an ice cold beverage is bound to leave some undisolved sediment, and a grill doesn't give you any option but to skip that last super-sweet sip.

I hesitate to argue with people who are far more knowledgeable & experienced than I, but as this is at least partly a matter of taste, I'll put my two centimes in. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I find that even after stirring there's still a fair bit of sediment left at the bottom, and it doesn't make the last sip too sweet. Overall it seems that dissolving the sugar cube (to the extent that it dissolves) simply takes the bitter edge off without making the drink cloying. So while I initially thought that not being able to stir with a grille would be a problem, now I'm not at all sure that it would make much of a difference.

Hey Trid,

I need one of them sporks fer my vitamin water Pontarlier glass. Can you make me one?? :thumbup:

Heck, I might have a blossoming product line here...I'll get right on it :tongue:

I hesitate to argue with people who are far more knowledgeable & experienced than I, but as this is at least partly a matter of taste...

It's WAY a matter of taste. As long as you're enjoying your glass of absinthe (and not burning your face off), you're doing just fine. The best rule is: "Relax. Have a glass of absinthe."*

*Regards to Charlie Papazian

I really do like the look of absinthe spoons, but rarely use them. I've got a couple spare re-pops if anyone is really in need of a cheap spoon.

I don't use sugar with very few exceptions. I do like to give my glass a quick stir when I'm done though. Like somebody else said, get both. That will solve this dilemma. If you're looking for a good grille check out Kirk Burkett's wares on Oxygenee's site. I like the Artemisia Grille.

If you drip slowly enough, the sugar shouldn't pile up at the bottom too much. Use simple syrup if that's an issue. The reason I stir my drink is because it's layered and uneven after a really slow drip. Sometimes there is a pocket of clear water at the bottom but even if there isn't, I can see variations in the louche that even out after a good swirl with the spoon. Yeah, I sweat the details.

It's been discussed over and over.

Make your homework.

I'm sure you meant do your homework. Maybe I wanted some up to date answers. I did look at the other posts about this before. If you do not want to answer simply DO NOT ANSWER. Sorry to mess up the flow of you day. Easiest thing is if you see a post from me, don't read it. Problem solved. I don't understand why people just want to tell you to "make" your homework. I'm looking for help, not bad grammar which I've been yelled at about before for no punctuation. So make your grammar. Thanks. :poop: You complained about my old avatars....didn't you? I know it was you. Me--> :puke: :dead: <---- you

Edited by TheHearTburNcaT

Folks, folks, folks. Fair enough- I think everyone's made their point here and we can continue with the discussion in a civil fashion. Perhaps mthuilli had a bad day, or it was a quick response. For that matter perhaps the Cat was slightly Heartburnt. Lets agree to 'put it up' and all remember to mind ourselves. Either way I advise we all relax, and have an absinthe.

By the way, HBC, you have to understand our position. There are so many new people who come in here and ask very simple questions that have been discussed ad nauseum which would have been resolved with a simple click of the search button.

Sometimes we just don't want to have to rehash it for the millionth time. Some of these topics have have a dozen threads, all with several pages of discussion. We just want people to read up BEFORE asking the same thing.

By the way, HBC, you have to understand our position. There are so many new people who come in here and ask very simple questions that have been discussed ad nauseum which would have been resolved with a simple click of the search button.

Sometimes we just don't want to have to rehash it for the millionth time. Some of these topics have have a dozen threads, all with several pages of discussion. We just want people to read up BEFORE asking the same thing.

I already have clicked the little search button. I've seen things rehashed in here already. With no comments about them doing it. I may not have a lot of posts on here but I'm on here a lot to read through. I was also in here a lot before I even signed up , just for good information. I may be a noob posting, but not to being here. :poke: Oh, and if you can find me another post about asking the difference or the pros and cons about what I've asked here please link it to me. Thanks

By doing your research, you're in the minority. But you still have to put yourself in our shoes. Don't worry, you'll be the same way in about a year or so.

Nah never. This isn't my 1st rodeo. I understand rehashing, is annoying, but I know to research 1st. Shabba are you Jamaican? I know a Jamaican named Shabba. But I'll be the better person and apologize for my posts and continue with my glass.. :cheers: