Sign in to follow this  
Ghostorm

Which Spanish absinthe to choose?

I’m heading off to Spain for one week in April and of course I’ll make sure that I try some of the Spanish Absinthes as I never tried any of them before. I also want to buy some bottles for my small collection. In order to avoid bad quality absinthes I want you guys who tasted Spanish absinthes to tell me which one did you like best and why. I know that most (if not all) of The Spanish absinthes are oil mixes and they can’t compare to the best French and Swiss ones, but as I will be in Spain anyway it would be silly not to taste some of them. I know that Daniel loves Serpis and T73 recommended Deva, Lasala and Mari Mayans in one of the posts. Any other suggestions?

Cheers! :cheers:

I usually keep a bottle of Serpis on hand. I've never tried any of the other brands mentioned and doubt that I would ever be willing to spend money on a bottle of any of them. On the other hand, my curiosity would prompt me to try them under the appropriate circumstances, like an adventure in Spain.

What Shabba said. My affection for the Spanish oil mixes is merely nostalgic. They are cheap, simple beverages that can't hold a candle to the top COs. That said, if I was visiting Spain, I'm sure I would have a glass or two. ;)

Serpis and Segarra are your best bets.

Absolutely.

Just make sure it's the Segarra 45, and not the awfully bitter (due to A.A. in the coloration step ) Segarra 68.

There's a new one, Obsello, a distilled Swiss-style absenta. A very nice person sent me samples of a couple of prototypes and the final version. I haven't really tasted yet, but it smells very promising. Unfortunately it's only 50°. I'm not sure if it's available yet. I'll post some impressions at a later time.

I had Segarra 68 not too long ago.

It was less bitter than Angelique.

I'll take your word for that.

If I want an Angelique, I'll stick with the Belgian ale.

Thanks everybody for the recommendations! I'll certainly be buying a bottle of Serpis. As I understand 65 version is a better one or isn’t it? I’ll see if I can try a glass of Segarra somewhere in the bar first, because it’s really expensive to buy a whole bottle. It looks like Segarra is in the same price range as Jades, so I doubt that it’s worth to buy the whole bottle.

The only Spanish brand I've had was Segarra 45 and I thought it was decent. Like Abs said, make sure it's the 45 and not the 68 which fell victim to the classic Ordinaire blunder. I'd like to try Serpis 65. I've heard good things about it. It sounds very unique.

I'll certainly be buying a bottle of Serpis. As I understand 65 version is a better one or isn’t it?

Yeah, get the 65. It's real tasty.

They're pulling your leg, Ghostorm. The 65 is over-priced and reportedly (I haven't tried it) tastes like shit. I've had a sample bottle of the 45 sitting in my bar for over a year. It's alright but not my cup of tea...er, absinthe.

Serpis 65 is tasty. Not by any means the best thing on the market, but I do enjoy it. It is a very unique tasting absinthe.

T, I think you're talking about Segarra 68.

I agree. The Serpis 65 isn't that bad. Unfortunately, it's the only Spanish absinthe I've tried. Or perhaps that's a fortunate thing. Do they all have that antiseptic aroma? That's the major flaw I find in it.

Yes, the Obsello would definitely be the choice to make if they have it anywhere. I'm not sure if they've managed to get it out there in time for April but if you see it, buy it.

Looks like I know what I'm going to look for when I go back over this year!

I wrote a bit about Spanish absinthes in my introduction post, but I've tried three or four, and have to agree with the consensus here - Serpis 65 is the only established one worth trying (I can't speak about Obsello, it's new since I last bought any absinthe from Spain).

The Deva 50 was non-offensive, but as I mentioned in my intro post, I have three or four doses left in the bottle and intend to try it again tonight to see if my tastes have changed and it's better or worse than my memory serves.

The Philipe Lasala was a total waste of money - no louche, no notable aroma, nothing to make it memorable in any way.

The Mari Mayans and Segarra products have always looked overpriced to me, because I've been one to think that if I'm going to spend that much, LdF and the Jades are the way to go.

I've been intrigued by the blended products that mix absinthe and (can I post this?) cannabis. Can't say I've had them, but I'm intrigued...

Edited by khiddy

I've been intrigued by the blended products that mix absinthe and (can I post this?) cannabis. Can't say I've had them, but I'm intrigued...

Marketing bullshit. Frat boy silliness.

Absinthe and pot have nothing in common. Flavor-wise, what could cannabis bring to the table? An interesting coloring? Nah...

If you want good absinthe, get good absinthe.

If you want good smoke, that's for a different forum. ;) Seriously, I think that blend is trying to take advantage of the absinthe "bad boy reputation" and that is probably not in absinthe's (or WS's) best interest.

I concur 100% on the question of "what can cannabis bring to the table?" I agree that it's purely an appeal to those who seek to "trip ballz". But, all BSing aside, who hasn't at least wondered what it's like?

That said, as I mentioned, I want to tread lightly as I even mention it on this hallowed forum. I am just emerging from lurking, after all.

Aside from the great probability that the absinthe it's made with isn't absinthe, and the fact that it uses hemp oil for the "cannabis" content... well... what more do you need to know, I guess.

I'd drink it just to know what it tastes like, if someone gave me some, but I'm not so curious I'd pay for it. If I wanted to get high, I'd do a bong hit. If I wanted to get high with absinthe I'd do a bong hit with some decent absinthe... then puke.

Perhaps I'm being a snob, but I have absolutely no interest in so-called cannabis absinthe. As Hiram said, it's a marketing ploy to lure the stoner customer into buying a mediocre product. They same way Big Beer uses a pretty buxom girl to keep your attention away from the mediocre contents on their products.

As a Texas friend with his heavy Lubbock accent once said in reference to the activities of our youth:

Ah, the good ol' days. May they never again return.