• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

Plenty of Czech crap everywhere, but La Fee is showing up in many bars. Still haven't found any distilled absinthe selling in a bar yet, but I'm convinced I will soon.

Until then, there are various places you can buy bottles from:

Absinthe Salon

Has a wide range and good prices.

Ultimo Wine Centre

La Mercier is available here.

Nick's Wine Merchants

A decent range, but not as wide or as cheap as Absinthe Salon.

Edited by dannyhawaii, 11 March 2008 - 07:33 PM.

#2 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

For those of you that are considering importing absinthe into Australia, note that customs may ask for documentation proving that the content of thujone is no greater than 10mg/kg. Information on this can be found in the national food standards under section 1.4, with specific mentions in Standard 1.4.1: Contaminants and Natural Toxicants and Standard 1.4.4: Prohibited and Restricted Plants and Fungi.

Edited by dannyhawaii, 17 March 2008 - 05:31 PM.

#3 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

Camperdown Cellars has Mansinthe, Kübler, Lemercier, and La Fee in stock.

They also have Rittenhouse rye whiskey, which is supposed to make for a respectable Sazerac.

#4 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

Absinthe Salon

Blog with video clip HERE

The providores of Parisian perfection at Absinthesalon invite you to their imbibing premises of distinction to savour the delights of authentic French and Swiss absinthe. As the ice cold water drips slowly through the sugar cube, as the absinthe swirls and dances in the glass below, as the louche begins and the intoxicating aromas mingle, you are transported to a bygone era. The Salon offers a range of superb absinthes including Jade Nouvelle Orléans, Jade Edouarb, Jade PF 1901, Duplais Verte & Blanche, Viex Pontarlier, Mansinthe, Obsello, Brevans, Kübler, La Clandestine, Angelique, Un Emile, Eichelberger Limitée, Libertine, La Volate Bovet, Verte & Blanche de Fougerolles and Lemercier. Prices range between and per glass for the absinthe experience of creating your aperitif with the traditional water fountain, with a 3 glass maximum per person. Also available are French petit brioche and the most decadent absinthe centred chocolate truffles.

#5 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I haven't been here for a while and have been catching up a bit.

To those from oz

here's a comparison that might get you thinking

Absinthe salon (Australia)

BREVANS AO SPARE= $125

JADE PF 1901= $199

VIEUX PONTARLIER= $170

delivery = Free

TOTAL $494

ABSINTHE.de (Germany) Markus Lion

BREVANS AO SPARE= €39.95= $53.74

JADE PF1901 = €65= $87.40

VIEUX PONTARLIER=€49= $65.90

delivery €40=$53.80 (for all three bottles together)

TOTAL= $260

That's $234 cheaper

I know where I'll be ordering from when I'm back there.
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#6 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:09 AM

Interesting to read this post, having just read the thread about DUNY stopping their free delivery offer. Knowing what the levels of alcohol taxes are in Australia and the costs of going through the 3 tier system in the US, then it's not surprising that bypassing/evading the proper system will result in lower product costs.

But if DUNY deserve the support of Americans for everything they have done for the availability of good absinthes in the US, then AbsintheSalon deserve the support of Australians even more. Without them, then I'd wager that 99% of Australians would think that absinthe = Green Fairy and La Fée.

In any case, I'm aware of Australians having recent online orders confiscated, or only released to them once the full Australian duty had been paid. And if the absinthe cannot be shown to be under the Australian limits, confiscation is a real probability.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#7 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

They are very good points Alan,

I'm all for supporting local business but I am not a wealthy man and can not help be swayed a bit by a better deal. Especially when the difference in costs are so glaring. Customer loyalty is one thing but greed for profit is another. These costs may very well be the result of our laws and taxes on a small alcohol business but I wonder is it the end users problem to wear it? Or the business lobby in Australia to flex muscle and force change? This leads to political discussion which is taboo here I know.

So far all the business lobby has done is try pressure the government into taxing the hell out of overseas bought items, it has fallen on deaf ears for two reasons, the first being businesses in Australia have had a cornered market for too long and have been grossly overcharging so the sympathy level from both gov and the people is pretty low. Secondly (perhaps the most important) is the government completed a study that showed it would cost more to collect the tax than the money it would actually bring in. (finished with politics)

The Absinthe examples I chose are already sold in Australia so customs shouldn't be a problem, to be on the safe side perhaps an email to the seller asking for a document with wormwood/thujon levels stated wouldn't hurt. I'd bet but can't say for sure that Markus would be happy to stick something like that in the box.

You did mention duty being paid, there isn't any duty on items (privately bought) under $1000 Australian dollars anything over occurs %10 gst.

I lied about the politics thing....... If the people would like a strong example of how the consumer gets kicked for governments taxing imports highly to protect local business then take a look at Germany. The import tax here is very tough, designed as they say to force the consumer to buy from local companies. With the exception of alcohol most items that Americans and Australians can buy for a decent if not cheap price are extraordinarily over priced here, labour is paid a pittance so there is a select class that reap the benefits of that strong tax system. It denies the free market. anyway that's probably too much apologies if this is a bit of a mad rant.

Cheers
"I just want silence. Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

#8 Nouveau

Nouveau

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

Hi Ignis,

I thought I would introduce myself to you, my name is Gaye. My partner, Joop, and I are the importers of the absinthes you are referring to and the owners of Absinthesalon.

With all due respect, I think it wise to get your facts correct before you go off on a rant regarding prices, taxes and legislation here in Australia when it comes to the liquor industry.

We have been importing, wholesaling and retailing absinthe now since 2005..... all of course legitimately .... unlike some overseas online absinthe vendors. As Alan points out, obviously goods will be remarkably cheaper when trading beneath the radar of government legislation. Of course this will be more enticing to the consumer. There is absolutely no way to compete with these prices especially now the flying monkeys are offering ridiculously low prices on freight since the GFC, just to keep their planes flying.

If you think we base our business on greed for profit you are sorely mistaken especially as you do not seem to understand the layers of costs that are involved in just being able to offer the 24 absinthes that we bring in to this country. We are very passionate about what we do and the re education of people here regarding the nature of the Crapsinth they have all been throwing back for the last decade.

Buying absinthe online from overseas is buying ALCOHOL. This is considered as unaccompanied alcohol as it is an importation, whether 1 bottle or a pallet, whether for personal or commercial use. It is not the same as bringing back a couple of bottles on the plane with you duty free. Alcohol (and tobacco) when bought in unaccompanied attract an excise equivalent goods tax which goes straight into the governments coffer, as welll as customs duty and GST.

This is not like buying a book on Amazon Ignis.... which falls under your example of private purchases of $1000 or under and the whole GST debate. That is just a goods and services tax of a piddly 10%. EEG tax is a whole other matter and goes up twice a year with no cap.... ever! Australia is one of the highest taxed countries in the world when it comes to alcohol. Some bottles we have to pay up to $60 AUS in EEG tax alone.

So when you combine the boutique nature of our shipments, the road costs to get them to port in Europe, the shipping costs, the EEG tax, customs duty, GST, wharf handling costs, under bond storage, customs charges every time we take stock out of bond etc and then oh yes a renumeration for our business called a retail markup, you end up with an elevated price in relation to the overseas online prices.

And yes of course there are the import permits required which is basically just an inconvenience and not so problematic when you know how to attain them.

We are slowly growing and may be able to drop our prices a little in the near future but that is because of the support of our online customers in Australia as well as all those who frequent the Salon, who dearly want to see us succeed in a market jam packed with assbinth and big companies with plenty of advertising dollars to brainwash the masses. We will never be able to compete with the roque online traders with their untaxed prices and often times false declaration of goods. It would be gallant of them though to at least let their prospective purchasers know that there is the possibility their goods could be seized and taxes paid. But then they generally pass the responsibility of knowledge onto the purchaser and wash their hands of it.

So Ignis, apologies for my long rant, but things had to be clarified :) I hope this information answers a lot of grey areas.
www.absinthesalon.com.au Purveyor of quality absinthes in Australia. Sydney boutique and licensed salon now open in Surry Hills.

#9 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

Hi Gaye,

That sounds like a terrible environment in which to try and run a business , however if you notice in my post I did say 'These costs may very well be the result of our laws and taxes on a small alcohol business' then went on to say 'but is it the end users problem to wear it?'

I sympathise with your situation of dealing with the monkeys we elect to run our piece of dirt but at the same time the consumer is in reality in the same boat as you and has to deal with the grossly incompetent mismanagement(of the country not the business).

I would happily pay a little more for a bottle from you but due to the problems that you explained, you can't compete and as callous as is sounds I would still try and get it cheaper.

Let me put it this way, if I came into your shop and saw a Fountain that cost $200 I bring to the counter and hand over $150 would you sell it to me? I'm guessing the answer would be negative and I wouldn't blame you because you are running a business designed to make you money so you can eat. You have chosen a business that has an interest for you and probably is enjoyable (mostly) but at the end of the day you would like to make money.

I work for a living and try as hard as I can to not only have the basics in life but a little extra to add a bit of colour to it as well, there is very little margin for me between sustain and enjoy which brings me back to the point of hunting for the best deal for my money. Is it disloyal to my fellow Aussie? Am I being unsupportive and in the end shooting myself in the foot?

As for the tax, dutys etc on ALCOHOL I stand humbly corrected and is something I wasn't aware of and in hindsight should of checked before posting it. I am however going to check now and get the costs occurred explained to me.

Regards M

Edited by ignis, 21 October 2011 - 01:58 AM.

#10 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:56 AM

ok, as I said I would find out the duty costs etc that you mentioned Gaye

here they are

5% duty + $60.92 per litre of alcohol + 10% GST

applying this to the example used in this thread it adds

$146.62 to my costs figures

$260+$146.62=$406.62.

$494-$406.62= $88.62

so if someone wanted to wait the time it took to get posted to oz with the risk of lost items and or broken items and then deal with the customs bureaucrats he could save $88.62

Is that trouble worth it? Not sure

Does it put Absinthe out of range for a normal wage earning Aussie? I would say a certain yes.

Shame really

#11 Nouveau

Nouveau

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

No it is not a terrible environment to run a business...just a more challenging one, because these are the laws we have to abide by to run a legit liquor business. Everyone is in the same boat. It is just obviously tougher for the boutique importer to get the product distributed over such a vast country, especially one such as ourselves with a niche product.

I don't want to start getting into the whole politics of the system and discussing the far distant possibilities of changing a governmental policy of high taxes on alcohol etc, it is all too convoluted. Call it apathetic if you want, but I believe we are all guilty of that to a certain degree. We all try to do the best we can with the circumstances that prevail. Is it the end users problem to wear it? We all wear it in every part of life.

In the larger picture though, as a online customer living in Australia and ordering the same absinthe from Europe as is available here, then yes in the long run that person would be unsupportive and shooting themselves in the foot. They could arguably be considered the greedy one in wanting to have a product for a lesser price more often, than for the local price perhaps not so often, so then supporting the local businesses which in turn employ people and are the backbone of the economy. But you can go on and on about it. People will do what they want for their immediate circumstances, it is all relative I guess.

I am pretty sure Kamal would feel the same way though. We get many many US tourists through the Salon, students and adults alike, and I always give them Drinkup NY details so they know where to get their absinthe when they get back and encourage them to support their US based absinthe distillers with their fine products, which they did not even know existed. We have a permanent link to his site as well as the Wormwood Society on the computer in the Salon.

The amount of $60.92 you quoted has not been around since about 2005, you can safely add about another 25% to that and you will be in the range of what the EEG tax rate is now... but you get the idea of it now in regard to the expenses on top of the cost price.

On a last note take this price comparison in Australia. A 500ml bottle of the swill we all know so well called Koruna retails at $101 in the shop. Compare this to our website price of $145 for a 700ml bottle of Duplais Verte delivered to your door. Volumetrically if the Koruna was a 700ml bottle it would cost about $142. So.......

'Does it put Absinthe out of range for a normal wage earning Aussie? I would say a certain yes.'

Not necessarily. It is all education. Education about product distillation, quality and integrity and how the system works here and why it is more expensive. At least we have a fantastic venue in the Salon where this can be expressed. We will be starting trade and public training next year which will be sure to be a hit. We are in it for the long haul. :wave2:

Edited by Nouveau, 23 October 2011 - 08:52 PM.

www.absinthesalon.com.au Purveyor of quality absinthes in Australia. Sydney boutique and licensed salon now open in Surry Hills.

#12 ignis

ignis

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

And despite my original post that was advising buying overseas therefore indirectly against your little company, I wish you all the success. Perhaps we need more distillers that can churn out a class product home grown.

#13 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Some press on the BBC.

#14 sean112

sean112

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

Interesting to read this post, having just read the thread about DUNY stopping their free delivery offer. Knowing what the levels of alcohol taxes are in Australia and the costs of going through the 3 tier system in the US, then it's not surprising that bypassing/evading the proper system will result in lower product costs.

But if DUNY deserve the support of Americans for everything they have done for the availability of good absinthes in the US, then AbsintheSalon deserve the support of Australians even more. Without them, then I'd wager that 99% of Australians would think that absinthe = Green Fairy and La Fée.

In any case, I'm aware of Australians having recent online orders confiscated, or only released to them once the full Australian duty had been paid. And if the absinthe cannot be shown to be under the Australian limits, confiscation is a real probability.

Green Fairy is disgraceful! Dan Murhry's does have Mr'Jekyll and "The Bottlo' can get Grande. various do sell Pernod. I'm happy with Mr.Jekyll..heh heh.
Hope this helps
Sean

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association