Sign in to follow this  
LeRoy

Minneapolis, MN

What a great bunch of folks those Twin Cities absintheurs are!

Hell, yeah!

The salt of the earth, they are.

And of 'em's even Da Bomb! :laugh:

Of course I'll invite you out for a drink! I'll fire up a PM here shortly.

Oh, and totally ON topic, I had my first ever real Sazerac the other night at Porter and Frye in the Ivy Tower, downtown Minneapolis. Made with Sirene and I know not what rye, but wow, oh wow was it ever fantastic! The guy that was behind the bar there, Ben, is my new cocktail hero, that's for sure.

Very glad you made it out, and was delighted to be a part of your first (f--king finally) sazerac. Yes, Ben at P&F is absolutely a stellar bartender.

I know this thread is pretty old, but if anyone tracks down any new absinthes available at liquor stores around here let me know! The main one I buy without resorting to the mail is Sirene, but I'd love to find some new good US absinthes showing up in our stores.

The situation is, unfortunately, still pretty much the same as it was when this thread was started. You can find St. George (but won't find me buying it), LTV (ditto), Lucid, Sirene, and anything else would be worse. Sirene is the only good one I find, and Lucid is the only other I'd consider buying (in a real pinch).

Gotta love the interwebs though!

I hear ya. Sirene is the only one I'll buy here locally, and I'm not a fan of St. George at all.

I made up a big list of absinthes I'd like to try as a Christmas list and added Kübler on the list just as a cheap option to help get free shipping...turns out now I'm getting a bottle of Kübler because they found it locally (Milwaukee)... Had I known that would happen I would have left it off! Oh well, it's the thought that counts

If your favorite liquor store deals with World Class Wine (recently purchased by Southern Wine and Spirits), they have access to all of our products. :cheers:

I was at south lyndale liquors today and they had a few more brands. Vieux Pontarlier, Heritage, and another brand that escapes me (it was a 350ml bottle from a California maker). I picked up some Vieux, it looked like the reviews weren't favorable for heritage.

The next time you go there ask about Pacifique. The Vieux and Heritage share the same wholesaler as Pacifique.

(I'm not asking you to buy Pacifique, just maybe ask about it's availability). I have family in Wisconsin and it would be great if they could see PD products on the local shelves.

The next time you go there ask about Pacifique. The Vieux and Heritage share the same wholesaler as Pacifique.

(I'm not asking you to buy Pacifique, just maybe ask about it's availability). I have family in Wisconsin and it would be great if they could see PD products on the local shelves.

I go there all the time and I'll be sure to ask. If they can get Pacifique you're going to make me a very poor man! I absolutely love it.

Lyndale Liquors was once a three minute walk from my old place... I am now five hours away... Marc, I am now in SW Wisconsin and would love to find Pacifique on a local shelf!

I stopped by South Lyndale Liquors yesterday afternoon and since it was slow I asked to speak with someone about absinthe. I explained to the gentleman that considering the two new options they may be able to get Pacifique, and asked if they would consider stocking it. His response was that absinthe sells poorly and he has to consider space needs, as he can only carry so much. I agreed that that makes since, and offered my opinions on the brands they carry. They have approx. 6 brands and said that I purchase two of the 6 only and Pacifique is be a better option compared to some of the other similarly priced they have that aren't the same caliber of quality (obstinee is 89.00 there, vieux pontarlier & heritage 69, st geo and Sirene are 59, I can't recall the other brands).

I left my info and he said he would look into it, and could at the very least special order a few bottles. His last question to me was if I ever hallucinated...I laughed a bit thinking he was joking, but in the end it didn't appear so. Hopefully they make the switch and decide to carry it instead! Otherwise, if there's enough people on here interested (depending on price) maybe we could get enough buyers to get him to order a case or something. I can keep people updated if there's an interest, just let me know.

MGM sometimes has the Amerique 1912, both verte and rouge. I had a bottle of this a long time ago but I don't think it was very remarkable. I've given up trying to get absinthe off the shelf here. If Pacifique turns up, I'm interested.

As an update I received a call from South Lyndale Liquors last week. As a result of our earlier conversation they picked up a case of Pacifique and it's now on the shelf for $64.99.

I just picked up a bottle, anyone in the area should go buy one so we can prove how worthwhile it is to keep it stocked on the shelf!!

That shop has the best absinthe selection I've seen in town. If they have Pacifique, I might have to stop and grab a bottle after work today.

On another Twin Cities note, there is a French restaurant in downtown St Paul called Meritage that has about a half-dozen absinthes on the menu. They have a lady fountain behind the bar and on some occasions I've seen it full of ice water. Last time I was in it was empty, so I'm not sure if they're using it or not. Unfortunately the selection leaves a bit to be desired. My boss is good friends with the owner, so I'm hopeful that I might get to steer him in the right direction someday.