Sign in to follow this  
LeRoy

Minneapolis, MN

I did a little shopping around today. I didn't find much that hasn't been listed elsewhere, but I'll list the stuff I found interesting. Lot's of stores have Lucid, so if that's all they had, I won't bother listing it.

Surdyks:

Lucid set with glasses

Herbsaint

Henri Bardouin Pastis

Peychaud's Bitters

Gorgeous young blonde giving out wine samples

Franklin Nicollet Liquor Store:

Lucid

Arak Razzouk

South Lyndale Liquors:

St. George

No joke, half the customers in the building were swarmed around that table. All of which, happened to be guys. The other wine sampling table, just two aisles over, only had one couple there.

I forgot, Surdyk's has mini bottles of Absente too. I was tempted to get one, as they were only $8 and I've never had Absente, but I figured because I already know what assbinth tastes like, I'd pass.

Actually, LOTS of liquor stores around here have absinthe. Everything from Lucid, to Sirene, to St. george, to a couple other, more dubious brands.

Finding it is never hard anymore. Lucid has, delightfully, become a staple. (say what ya'll want- I seldom buy it, but it has been my DREAM since '97 to see absinthe at every liquor store... and now... I need a new dream.)

Stopped by Zipps today. They had the Lucid gift box, St George, and LTV.

They also had the Green Moon Vodka in a different section. I've forgotten to mention that I saw that in a few other stores. I'm sure no one minds. I did find it funny that they didn't put it near absinthe or vodka on the shelves.

Zipps has replaced LTV with Kübler. The spot was empty, but there was a tag for Kübler anyways. It was listed somewhere around 60-65 dollars. That'd be the first time I've seen anything about Kübler being available in Minnesota.

I stopped at Surdyks too afterwards, but I didn't see anything about Kübler.

If you want, have the shops contact:

Wirtz Beverage Minnesota

489 N Prior Ave

St Paul, MN 55104

651-646-7821

If there is a demand, they have the potential to eventually supply:

Vieux Pontarlier

Pacifique

Duplais Verte and Blanche

Mansinthe

Voyager Gin

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm going to start looking at the places mentioned and try to find a product. I'm new to the scene, but I have tried absinthe before when I was in the UK.

Thanks for the tips! Hope to post my findings and contribute to the forum!

Zipps currently has the widest absinthe selection in the Twin Cities. We have a choice between St. George, Lucid, Kübler, or Pernod. Given those choices, I'd go with Lucid (which is found in lots of stores).

Does anyone have any thoughts or insight on bars or lounges around here that serve absinthe? Yelp = not much help so far.

Who the fu....?

I mean, howdy stranger! :laugh: :wave2:

The last time I was in Minneapolis, absinthe wasn't even "legal" in this country yet.

I'm guessing LeRoy might be of some help, though.

Sorry, I can't help. Send Larspeart a message. He knows more of the city clubs.

Yes, my visits have gotten quite infrequent. As have my opportunities to travel, so I was trying to make the best of a potential trip. As it is, I have friend out there that really wants to try some, so I will indeed send Larspeart a message. Thanks!

Sorry to see is so late. At this point, one can find absinthe (serviceable to good, even), at any of the good cocktail bars in town.

Some good ones worth visiting:

Marvel- quite new. The head barman, Pip, has studied under some of the best bartenders in the world. If you go there, make sure to order a borealis. An entrancingly fun to play with cocktail. Yes. I said play with.

Porter and Frye. Not new, but under new management. Benjamin there is one of the most passionate bartenders I have met. If he hears an idea on Friday night that fascinates him, rest. Assured that by Saturday, he'll have a syrup, tincture, and the esoteric spirit needed to make it happen completed.

Bradstreet- the first true mixology place in town, and the best. In this region within several States for some time, they've gone a bit downhill, largely due to turnover. Their remaining truly good-good 'tender there is still my favorite, Jourdain.

Prohibition- nice view, nice stylings. Pricy, and a few douchebags can be found though.

Cafe Maude- go for the food. Stay for the cocktails. A great restaurant that believes in having exceptnal cocktails to match.

More later. I hate typing on an iPad. Fuck you, autocorrect...

Larspeart! Your answer was actually very timely, because I haven't managed to even get on the damn road yet! Actually, I'll be there July 11th to the 15th....hint, hint. But, at the very least, I'll check out as many of your bar recommendations as I can manage in 4 nights. It's a work/vacation thing with my wife, so, ya know, there's that. ;)

Of course I'll invite you out for a drink! I'll fire up a PM here shortly.

Slightly OT but I want to take a moment to mention that Saturday night my wife and I had a fantastic time meeting up with Larspeart, Nepenthes, Selmac, and Phoenix. What a great bunch of folks those Twin Cities absintheurs are!

Oh, and totally ON topic, I had my first ever real Sazerac the other night at Porter and Frye in the Ivy Tower, downtown Minneapolis. Made with Sirene and I know not what rye, but wow, oh wow was it ever fantastic! The guy that was behind the bar there, Ben, is my new cocktail hero, that's for sure.