Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,803 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

Absinth Depot
Weinmeisterstrasse 4, 10178 Berlin-Mitte

Not sure what types of absinthe they sell, but it's listed on Alan's blog, which adds some validity to me at least.

As of 2005 (Retrogarde's last visit there), it was a well stocked store that sold high quality Absinthe and a nice selection of reproduction glassware, spoons and fountains.

You can visit their website here.

Note: Retrogarde just translated some of the text on their page and it has the old "THC and Thujon" foolishness. Too bad.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

Assel
Oranienburger Str. 21

A basement bar and grill right in the middle of Berlin. This is where I had my first glass of Absinthe. Although I have no idea what the brand was, I know it wasn't a Czech Absinth. The waitress did not prepare the drink for me, but I was not offered matches either, so that's a good sign.

The menu includes Vegetarian options too, if that's your thing.
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#3 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

The exterior of Assel on a summer day.
Attached File  assel01.jpg   52.31KB   2 downloads
My first glass of Absinthe, in the back room at Assel.
Attached File  firstdrink.jpg   28.3KB   2 downloads
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#4 Gertz

Gertz

Stale pastry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:18 AM

Assel

A basement bar and grill right in the middle of Berlin. This is where I had my first glass of Absinthe. Although I have no idea what the brand was, I know it wasn't a Czech Absinth.

I have vague memories of having a beer in that bar. I am pretty sure their absinthe was Tabu. The bar is nice. Tabu is not.
+

#5 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

in '04 I was briefly there, but all the Absinthe I could find was thujone-boosted this and that. My Dad was giving me shit about drinking "brain-rotting poison" whilst stocking up on Cuban cigars, I told him one of those cigars could kill us six times over if infused into a drink, one that in retrospect wouldnt taste too much worse than Czechsinthe.

A great town, though, I really loved Berlin and would return in a heartbeat.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#6 Harry

Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

in '04 I was briefly there, but all the Absinthe I could find was thujone-boosted this and that. My Dad was giving me shit about drinking "brain-rotting poison" whilst stocking up on Cuban cigars, I told him one of those cigars could kill us six times over if infused into a drink, one that in retrospect wouldnt taste too much worse than Czechsinthe.

A great town, though, I really loved Berlin and would return in a heartbeat.

i was in berlin in summer of 1990. the wall had just come down symbolically.....large sections were still up though.... it was difficult to find anything worth drinking in east berlin at that time...... west berlin was totally the opposite. but germany as a whole is a great country, especially bavaria..........

#7 drdaniel5

drdaniel5

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted Today, 02:08 AM

My brother stopped by the "Absinth Depot" this week and had a very pleasant experience. the employee who was there was very helpful and his girlfriend ended up with a bottle of La Grenouillarde by La Valote Martin. I had by brother pick up a bottle of Berthe de Joux for me while he was still in Berlin so I'm looking forward to getting a good French Absinthe without paying a billion dollars in shipping.

They have all the Jades and other good European brands to go along with their selection of faux thujone brands. Though my brother said the employee described the majority of Czech absinthe as "Potent, but with crap taste." and when asked about the "Cannabis Absinthe" the guy said not to get it it's just a tourist trap. I'm not sure if the guy buys the Thujone hype but at the very least if you're in Berlin and want some Absinthe you can buy a bottle there or have a glass at their bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association