That's okay, with their incredible year-round beer selection (particularly during their various festivals), I'm almost willing to overlook a little absinthe bait and switch. ;)

Speaking of Seattle bars that serve absinthe, The Bohemian, newly opened in West Seattle is among them now. Including a cocktial or two. I only saw Lucid on the shelf, but there may have been others, lots of labels I didn't recognize up there.

Oh yes, when going to Brouwers, I just have to indulge in the beer selection. Still can't see the purpose of drinking absinthe at a Seattle bar (unless you are into the cocktail side of it). I have a better selection of absinthe at home and don't have to worry about driving. And the cocktail side scares me... therein lies madness. Before you know it I will be buying rhum, botanical gin, an assortment of bizarre and obscure bitters, listening to Bossa Nova, and subscribing to "Imbibe" magazine (which incidentally came with my latest DUNY shipment)!

I hear tell that in California one can waltz into a place of business and buy some Cuilleres.

Are there places in the Emerald city where one might do this as I have yet to see any at the QFC. Case and point, we need an Absinthe bar/shop in Seattle.

Last night the Wyfe and myself went to the Knee High Stocking on Capitol Hill and enjoyed Pacifique and Obsello. I would have rather been given a carafe and accompanying paraphernalia; but the guy working the fountain seemed to know what's up. They will sugar it if you don't ask not to, just so's you know.

they also carry Lucid, Kübler, Marteau(out o' stock), and*ahem* grande absente and *cough* mata hari.

The chicken pot pie is pretty tasty as well. :)

Edited by buddhasynth

I hear tell that in California one can waltz into a place of business and buy some Cuilleres.

Are there places in the Emerald city where one might do this as I have yet to see any at the QFC. Case and point, we need an Absinthe bar/shop in Seattle.

There's an upscale kitchen supply shop down by Westlake Center (next to the Borders on 5th) that's had some new and vintage absinthe gear on occasion.

City Kitchens, and I'm pretty sure they've never had actual vintage pieces there, although they do generally have repro spoons, glasses and fountains on hand.

Case and point, we need an Absinthe bar/shop in Seattle.

"Case in point" ;)

Yup, City Kitchens. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of absinthe stuff, and none vintage. Maybe two or three spoons, and two or three styles of glasses, and one fountain with four spigots that's been there a couple of years now that retails for $275. Even if you wait until September when the whole store is 20% off, it's still a steep price (and don't forget 9% sales tax).

Aloha All,

I will be visiting Seattle this summer.

Could anyone suggest a store where I might pick up an absinthe brand or two that is not among the usual DrinkUp offerings?

Mahalo.

Could anyone suggest a store where I might pick up an absinthe brand or two

All our stores are state run, so available brands are the same across all stores, however, what they have in stock varies on a fairly regular basis.

Check out their site here: http://liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp

Search for absinthe, and you'll find pretty much all the potentially available brands. From there, the 'Find a Store' link can show you approximate inventories.

Bear in mind though ... I've found the occasional bottle not listed on their site, and their inventory online isn't necessarily up to date. So if there's something on the list you want, call the store with the greatest inventory first to double check.

For what it's worth, the least 'common' I've seen is Corsair.

I know it's been a while since this was updated, but I have to say outside of downtown Seattle my personal favorite absinthe spot is VoVina in downtown Kirkland. They have quite a nice selection and the bartender told me they've got more coming.

I'm coming into town for a weekend convention the end of this month, any suggestions? Nice place to hangout sip some and maybe listen to some good music?

Saying at the Red Lion.

I know it's been a while since this was updated, but I have to say outside of downtown Seattle my personal favorite absinthe spot is VoVina in downtown Kirkland. They have quite a nice selection and the bartender told me they've got more coming.

Did you get any responses? I'll be in town (staying at the Westin) in July.

Any recommendations for places to go for a mid 30's retired punk rocker who listens to a lot of jazz these days?

Up for absinthe/cocktails, record stores, "cool" book stores, restaurants, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I'm coming into town for a weekend convention the end of this month, any suggestions? Nice place to hangout sip some and maybe listen to some good music?

Saying at the Red Lion.

Did you get any responses? I'll be in town (staying at the Westin) in July.

Any recommendations for places to go for a mid 30's retired punk rocker who listens to a lot of jazz these days?

Up for absinthe/cocktails, record stores, "cool" book stores, restaurants, etc.

Saying at the Red Lion.

I wish I would have seen this earlier. At the Red Lion, you're right downtown, so you can walk to Zig Zag and Can Can, but the Library Bistro is becoming known for their craft cocktails. Check out the Polar Bar at the beautiful Arctic Club hotel for Absinthe, too.

You can easily cab it up to Tavern Law and their upstairs neighbor, Needle and Thread, who make specialty cocktails and carry absinthe. If it's one of the other up there, I'd recommend you make a reservation at Needle and Thread (reservations only for entry).

That said, now that Murray has retired from Zig Zag (and can be found at RN74), Liberty on Capitol Hill, on 15th, is my favorite little bar around. The make their own house bourbon and gin infusions, and make mean Absinthe cocktails. See what nights Andrew is working, as he is the main man, and the resident rockstar.

A belated thanks for all the help. I ended up going to the Zig Zag my first day there. Loved it so much I went every night I was there (6 nights in a row). Great staff, great vibe from the bar as a whole, including the fellow patrons at the bar. I would truly go back to Seattle just to hang out here again.

Oh, and a decent selection of absinthe. I finally tried St. George and have now found "my absinthe". From now on I won't be chasing the fairy, I'll be following the monkey...

Marteau Belle Époque can now be found in Seattle area bars and restaurants once more. These places have either taken delivery, or will do so soon:

Andaluca, Mayflower Hotel

Barrio

Bastille

Bathtub Gin & Co.

Bayou Oyster Bar, Bellingham

Boca

Café Presse

Can Can

Canon

Art Bar, Four Seasons Hotel

Gainsbourg

Grape Adventure

Kells

Liberty Bar

Naga Lounge

Nijo

Ocho

Oddfellows

Oliver's, Mayflower Hotel

Place Pigalle

Polar Bar, Arctic Club Hotel

RN74

Rob Roy

Sexton

Spur Gastropub

Taste, at the Seattle Art Museum

Tavern Law

The Knee High Stocking Co.

The Tin Table

Vessel

Vito's Lounge

ZigZag Café

Whatever (or wherever) Poulsbo is considered, it's always wonderful to discover a an eatery with excellent taste in spirits. :thumbup:

Edited by Absomphe

Just saw this over on the Seattle Met's blog "Sauced":

Green Hour at Marché

An absinthe-focused happy hour with seriously good food to boot.

(http://www.seattlemet.com/blogs/sauced/marche-seattle-happy-hour-green-hour-june-2012/)

Marche is where Campagne used to be, down by the Pike Place Market. Their "Green Hour" runs from 4:30 to 6pm daily and focuses on absinthe cocktails.

-Robert

Checked out Esquin Wine - now Wine & Spirits today ...

Pacifique (and Voyager Gin) on sale and very reasonably priced.

They also had:

Marteau

Abyss

Tenneyson

Obstinee

Michel P. Roux and the other usual Crillon stuff

Overall they've got a better liquor selection than most places, lots of craft stuff, and more whiskey than you'd imagine, but their prices are higher than most. So get your mid-shelf staples elsewhere, and save Esquin for when you need something unique.

Edited by brennivin