There are a few places in Seattle you can be guaranteed good absinthe service (besides my house), probably the best is going to be:

Zig Zag Café

1501 Western Ave

Below Pike Place Market on the Pike Street Hill Climb. (Map)

Zig Zig won two awards at the Tales of the Cocktail Annual Spirit Awards: Best Classic Cocktail Bar and Best Drinks Selection. Bartender Murray Stenson was also nominated Best Drinks Mixer. According to the judges, if you want a better drink than Murray can mix, you'll have to go to the Pegu Club in New York and get proprietor and Libation Goddess, Audrey Saunders, to make it for you.

The bar staff at Zig Zag are passionate cocktailians who know their way around a shaker and know how to properly serve absinthe and absinthe cocktails. Show up at opening at 5:00 (traditional "green hour") and watch the Murr the Blur in action.

Can-Can Cabaret

94 Pike Street, Pike Place Market

I love this place! Can-can dancers/waitresses. Burlesque. Great food. Fun ambiance. Zack is a dedicated and quite talented mixologist. Makes a great Sazerac. Read this review, it pretty much nails it.

I was up at Oliver's Twist last night and they had Lucid, Kübler, St. George, and one other that was new to me (good, could have done without the sugar, but I'm a little suspicious about the color). It was my birthday, and what a wonderful present to be able to order up an absinthe as easily as anything else. It's a beautiful new world we're in, my friends.

So, despite the lack of presence on the Washington State liquor board site, Kübler is now available in stores here (at least at the 4th ave store) along with the aforementioned Lucid.

In a strange turn, St. George is on their site, but not in that store. Supposedly at U-Village and Newcastle though.

So, that brings the list to ...

Lucid

Grande Absente

Kübler

St. George

Not the best list, but it's growing :)

Those are the only four that I've seen in my liquor store meanderings. The Washington State liquor board site is notoriously unreliable. Best thing to do if you want something in particular is to put your name on a list.

The liquor store on Broadway and John now has Lucid. This is the same liquor store that 5 months ago I came in asking for it and the guy was a condescending asshole. Deal with him at the cost of your self-respect.

You can special order Leopold Bros. Absinthe through the Wash. St. system as of today. Our Leopold's Gin is available as well.

Great persistance, Todd!

However, I'm still under the impression that any special order involves a minimum of a case, (at least that'swhat two liquor store managers here in Belligham told me, a couple of years ago) and as much as I'm more than a bit smitten with your yummy absinthe, that's a bit pricy for a single order. As long as I can order it from California for an extra $10-15 with shipping, I'm satisfied.

Your efforts are always greatly appreciated, in any case. :cheers:

in any case.

You just said a case was too expensive. Make up your mind Old Man!

btw, where's you entrepreneurial spirit? By a case in any case, a few for yerself, and sell the rest to yer Leopold loving friends. For a small handling fee of course. :devil:

What you need to do is drop by some of the great cocktail bars that Bellingham has and ask them if they have any absinthe. When they say no, have a nice casual conversation wit hthem about it, and recommend that they order some. Eventually it will (hopefully) make it in to your stores then.

The liquor store on 12th and Pike has Trillium, which ain't what I want but is heartening to see nonetheless. I did talk to the guy on Broadway about ordering Leopold Bros and got the response Absomphe got, that it had to be by the case.

So it may be that all you need are five willing souls to share in the order.

:arrr:

What does a case run? I would be willing to go in on a bottle as I have not yet tried that one. There are more than enough of us here in WA that we should be able to cover a case.

EDIT: And Hiram does Zig Zag carry your Marteau?

Edited by cwlovell13

Yes, all of the places I mentioned in your intro post have Marteau at the moment.

Wonderful. I may post a review tonight. Is it possible to print a hard copy of the review so I can fill it out there and type it up later?

When I was last in Sea-town, I had a glass of Lucid at Oliver's Lounge, located at 405 Olive Way (NW corner of the block containing Westlake Center, in the Mayflower Park Hotel). The young bartender was pretty proud of the fact that they had "imported real Absinthe, from France!" and he louched it up pretty well from their fountain. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was available through the WSLCB (in case he didn't know).

It was $9 for a glass, but still, it was indeed Absinthe...

One question I always had, as a Seattle (er, Shoreline) resident... if you can nab the same absinthe from a WA State liquor store (with it's taxation heaviosity) vs. free shipping from DrinkUpNY, is DrinkUpNY actually a better deal?

As a Lynnwood resident, the DUNY price isn't that much different. However, as someone who doesn't drive, ordering from DUNY saves me the hassle of bussing here and there to see if someone has something in stock. You can always call, but by the time you get around to getting there, the bottle of whatever may be gone. Good stuff goes quickly here. I just prefer having it delivered to my office, and save the hassle.

They also have a lot of stuff you can't get here in WA.

Brouwers Cafe now serves Lucid. Mrs. Absomphe ordered a glass this evening, and the clueless bartender was about to water it rapidly with one of those spritzers, but she rescued it (temporarily), and watered it slowly. This did not ultimately save the pitiful critter, which reeked, and tasted of star anise, with underpinnings of unsubtle pepperminty wormwood, and a vulgar, black licorice-y finish that refused to die. It had been a long while since we had tasted Lucid, and it will be an even longer while til we make the same mistake again. Certainly not the worst absinthe we've tasted, but galaxies removed from the top-echelon, noble examples of our pet beverage.

Was it a new bottle Abs? I've found that freshly opened Lucid can be rather stinky, but that it mellows noticeably after a couple weeks. Still not in the same ballpark as the good stuff, but hey...

The bottle was nearly empty, but that doesn't guarantee that it had much breathing time, since there might have been a run on the stuff when word of its availability got out.

At any rate, I just gave our take on it. Perhaps we've been a little spoiled by some of the exquisite HG we've been priveleged to enjoy, coupled with the fact that we only tend order our favorites, and don't stock up on any "everyday" absinthe, but whatever the case, Lucid was tasting pretty bleccchy (that's the scientific term B) ) last night.

It seemed strange to me as well, but the louche was so quick, and opaque, and no matter how much water we added, it remained opaque, and the excessive heat and harshness did, as well.

Maybe it was a particularly bad bottle, (or stored in direct light), who knows?