Paris

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 stardust

stardust

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

It's been a great trip so far; the friend I'm staying with compiled a comprehensive list of absinthe related destinations in Paris; her first two recommendations were spot on.

At La Fee Verte, the young girl behind the bar looked like she couldn't be over 22 years old; yet I asked her (as a precaution) whether they set their sugar cube on fire, and she said, "No, we never did that with our absinthe; it's just for show. No fire here!". She knew a bit about absinthe, though she conceded she didn't know as much as she should; but every glass I tried, she'd smell the bottle and then smell the louched glass (when I offered, of course) to compare the different aromas. She brought a fountain over, and when I started dripping the absinthe, she said, "I see you know what you're doing" and left me to it. I could not have hoped for a better experience. The best part was that it wasn't expensive at all. At the Edison or Varnish in L.A., a glass of absinthe will run me $15-18; at La Fee Verte, they charged €5-8 - and the €8 was for the Jade PF 1901.

#32 Vanessa

Vanessa

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:14 AM

Stardust, that sounds like a perfect experience (though everything in Paris is a perfect experience). I can hardly wait to go.
Hedonist. Sybaritist. Lover of all things NERD.

#33 Mr Fianchetto

Mr Fianchetto

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

I spent my first day in Paris today - went to Verte D' Absinthe and bought a couple of spoons and a bottle; then I went to La Fee Verte and was very pleased with the selection of absinthe and the knowledge of the bartender. I couldn't have been more pleased.

I will be in Paris for business this weekend. I think I may just have to follow your steps exactly. I've been trying to find some peraphernalia for some time now. All the glasses I find in Prague have "King of Spirits" plastered across them :dry: .
Na Zdravi!

#34 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Carlos Madriz at The Bar of L'Hotel in Paris is one of the best and humblest bartenders in the world.
The atmosphere is very old-library cozy and you can toast to Oscar Wilde, who chose to die in one of L'Hotel's rooms. Anthony Bourdaine stayed in that room when he filmed his No Reservations pilot episode.
When asked for 'an absinthe', Carlos pulled an as yet unopened bottle from his back-self, a Jade Edouard.
He posed a tall, chilled wineglass on the bar and poured a dose. He then filled his shaker with ice and water and shook it, then strained the ice-water into a small, beaker-shaped carafe and set it beside the glass. It was simple and perfect, without forced affectations.
His cocktails are also amazing...On most nights he is also serving the drinks, so be patient if necessary, and he also speaks English.
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#35 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I will be trying to get to Luc's place Saturday the 23rd of the current, and Friday night of March 8th.

I'm TGVing it the south, via Gare de Lyon, as I heard it is far more pleasant than the flight, and the TGV stops right outside my workplace.

#36 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

What about drinking together ?

Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#37 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

That is always a good idea. :)

I'll be spending the night of 08March2013 in Paris, hopefully having a drink or twenty, before passing out on the return flight, and it sure would be nice to have company.

On my way in, 23Feb2013, I will have a few hours in the middle of the day, I was hoping to raid Luc's place so I can have something green during my two weeks, and PV advised me to have lunch at the Blue Train in the GdL.  Drinking with company would also make this part of the trip easier. :cheers

Edited by Père Ubu, 07 February 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#38 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Oh, I think both would be feasible :)

May I recommend, in stead of having lunch at Le Train Bleu, which is, in my humble opinion quite overhyped, eating at La Fee Verte, at Bastille, which is equidistant from Luc's shop and Gare De Lyon ? It would depend on how much time you have (your luggage could always be left at GdL), but would make a far better experience, IMHO.

Be careful with your timing though, Luc's shop is only open in the afternoon

Otherwise, March 08, my place, in La Défense, good stock, the occasion to have a sip of a good tarragona, and only served in antique barware. And as I always do, I will be the cook, which is above average compared to parisian restaurants, and far cheaper.

#39 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

March 8 is definitely looking better now :) , as the King of Poland would greatfuly love to visit your abode.  A bit of a ways from my accomodations for the night, but between Google and Metro, I'm sure there is a manner for this wayward traveler to find fine dining. :cheers:

On February 23, I'm hoping to arrive at the GdL before noon, lock up my luggage,  per your advice, visit La Fee Verte for nourishment and refreshment, and then head to Luc's for some bottles of good green stuff to take to Occitania, where apparently Ricard & 51 still hold sway.

Edited by Père Ubu, 08 February 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#40 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

I must say that I've discovered (for myself) some wonderful absinthes on this trip to France. Desiree and 65, are up there with the best. L,Enjelouse (sp?) and Belle Amie are pretty darned good too.

#41 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:28 AM

Every one of them has been crafted mostly by Luc, with a good hand from Sébastien. Most of them are exclusive to Vert d'Absinthe (Désirée, L'enjoleuse, Belle Amie), and I must say that one of the things I will miss the most when living Paris will be going to the shop everytime one of these references is reedited :)

#42 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the advice on La Fee Verte, the food, service, and drinks were first rate.
Shopping at Luc's was also a memorable experience. I got Belle Amie and Desiree with me, but I hope to find a home for them before heading north.
Not a sign of absinthe anywhere near me. The Biterroises love their wine and cheap pastis, but don't care much for absinthe.

Edited by Père Ubu, 27 February 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#43 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for the advice on La Fee Verte, the food, service, and drinks were first rate.

Well, you are welcome, and I'm glad to hear they are finally up to the task. Last time I went there was with Maison Fontaine's Sven, and the drinks service and quality were far below par (broken glasses, absinthe gone bad...).

As it happens, the next day we were at Luc's place, and the owner of La Fee Verte came by, and was horrified by our experience :) She apparently threw a tantrum and had her team trained anew

#44 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

It must've worked. :)

The waitress even slowed down my drip, when in my tired state, I opened it too much.  I was impressed.

I'll be at the Airport Sheraton march 8th, but a few metro rides should put me at your place. 

#45 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

You were not kidding, about southern France being an absinthe desert.  They have all kinds of anises and pastis, but not a single bottle of absinthe, not even crapsinthe.  and mention ot a local that your dring absinthe, ans the usualy litany of 'rend fou', 're-formule', and 'I tried a shot, but hated it'.  And zero enthusiasm.  I get a sense the younger guys have no sense of history.

#46 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,301 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:53 AM

I've met many French folks who still believe that absinthe is dangerous.  Hey, a century of deep-rooted mythology takes awhile to undo.  

#47 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Don't tell me about it... Even antique sellers tell crap to their buyers when I am not around.

Yes absinthe has too much of a stigma in France, and yes, we have developped since the ban a culture for other beverages of the same family, pastis in particular. Doubtful in these conditions that we might seen a new boom in the coming years

#48 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

I got one solid convert with Desiree.  I left him the rest of the bottle, he is an avid 51 drinker, and immediately recognized the superior product when he saw it.  He happily had two glasses right then and there.

I notice there is little pride in history among some younger folks, no pride/love of city or region the way folks in the USA do, so they just don't seem to have curiosity about the past.  I, had fun at the totally empty Musee du Biterrois, but then I'm am a bit of a nerd.  Correction, I am a nerd.

#49 Navidson

Navidson

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

Stopped by La Fee Verte yesterday and I agree with all the positive things said already.  Lovely place, great selection of high quality absinthes, and some fantastic food, to boot. I think it's safe to say it now occupies a place on my list of places I must visit whenever I'm in Paris.

#50 Wormwoad

Wormwoad

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

I will be in Paris tomorrow evening after a concert... I looked around and found a place that looks like it could be promising.
It's called Marlusse et Lapin.

Here's their menu; I hope they don't burn this stuff...

• Lucid 62°

7,00€

• Esprit Edouard 72°

9,00€

• Jade 1902 68°

9,00€

• VS 1898 68°

9,00€

• Route du Paradis

6,00€

• Shot

4,50€

Really hoping that since they have the dignity to have Jade products, that they treat them correctly. It's in the Montmartre area (and I will be coming out of a concert in a section of the Moulin Rouge) so my first, and likely only experience in Paris for a while could potentially go very well.

If anyone is in the area, I will be there at midnight on Sunday evening/Monday morning.

Edited by Wormwoad, 22 February 2014 - 04:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association