Verte d'Absinthe
11 rue d'Ormesson
Paris France 75004
Map

Cantada II
13 rue Moret, 75011 Paris
Map

There was also the shop in Paris where Anthony Bourdain went

Heure Verte, who we heard from a few posts back, may know a little about this shop.

this is the shop that was filmed:

Caves du Roy, 31 rue Simart 75018 PARIS Tel. +33 (0)1 42 59 12 10

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

The 2nd map link displays VdA, as does the 1st. Just researching Paris as we've cancelled our Cozumel vacation in favor of another cruise that will take us to Europe again. A bit bummed that our stop in Le Havre for Paris takes place on Sunday. Remembering enough high school French to see that VdA is closed on Sunday, so looking for options. The Cantada II site left me knowing it could be an interesting stop. Anything tamer anywhere? Like some place one might find a nice glass of absinthe in the afternoon?

#3 Hans Conried

Hans Conried

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

Not far from Le Havre is the port village of Honfleur. We took a side trip there from Paris last year and stayed in a B&B. In Honfleur you will find l'Absinthe. We didn't eat/drink there, but if you check out their website, the scrolling border at the bottom is most certainly absinthe in nature (select high speed or low speed to enter English site).

Do a little checking, I'm not sure if they actually serve it.

http://www.absinthe.fr/

Attached File  l__Absinthe_honfleur.jpg   48.36KB   1 downloads

#4 Hans Conried

Hans Conried

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

Plus, while I wouldn't skip Paris for it, Honfleur is very pleasant and small enough to wander around for one afternoon if you can swing it.

Attached File  Honfleur_2.jpg   50.97KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Honfleur.jpg   42.63KB   1 downloads

#5 techdiver

techdiver

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:37 PM

Thanks; yes, looks nice. But as you say, don't want to skip Paris for it.

#6 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:56 AM

I live 12 miles away from Honfleur, it's a beautiful little harbour.
But the L'Absinthe restaurant is absinthe related by the name only (and a little cabinet that displays some absinthe/pastis antiques). They don't serve absinthe and they even use absinthe in their meals. A shame.

#7 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:24 AM

i had them try nouvelle-orleans and blanche de fougerolles about 3 years ago, but getting them interested in stocking absinthe was a waste of time...nice restaurant though and with the tourists pouring through the area you would think they would want to stock some...but then again, the same thing could be said about the vast majority of bars/restaurants in paris...sigh
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#8 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:44 AM

Yes, a shame, but a good restaurant nevertheless.
Try avoiding Honfleur on sundays, terribly busy.

they don't even use absinthe in their meals.

Mistake corrected.

#9 Boggy

Boggy

Delusions of Competence

• Canned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

Honfleur id good for plrein-air.
Surviving the attacks of mentally-deficient creatures of the dark and carrying on (since 1999).

[Ironically, 1999 is the year the Dunning-Kruger effect was first advanced. - Admin]=

#10 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

Actually myself and my wife had a glass of Absinthe in Paris in 2002, I am pretty sure it was Czechsinthe but it wasn't all that bad. A very prominent wormwood flavor and aroma but nonexistent louche. A strange venue with a neon sign "Absinthe Bar" and all blacked in windows. We were wandering around, I am pretty sure in the 19th arrondisement(we were staying right off the Place de Clichy a couple of blocks(stars) away from the Moulin Rouge) it was about 2:30 AM and we found the place, knocked on the door,and were shown down the stairs by some strange and a little too well-kept personnel(large buxom matron with Dragon Lady nails and a cigarette holder with prominently displayed cleavage and a reptilian host dressed black tie formal). They locked the door when we came in...The bar was an old wine cellar, dimly lit with little rooms off to the side....A very skinny but hot girl materialized and did the fastest striptease I ever saw in my life to some crappy disco and disappeared as quickly as she appeared. We also drank some unofficial homemade booze the bartender had, I felt it was safe because I saw him drink some with a couple other girls. The place looked like a good place to order up a girl, a ball of opium, go into the back room, and wake up two days later in the woods miles from town with no shoes. They played Black Sabbath on the stereo.

A couple days later my wife was walking down the street, looked at the plain black front of the place and saw the door open, a dragon-lady-nailed hand stick out and flick the cigarette holder and retreat into the darkness as the lock clicked on the door.

wish I could remember the exact address.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#11 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:35 AM

I visited a wonderful bar in Paris, it is a rock bar, Cantada - L'Ultime Rock Bar. They are located at 13 Rue Moret, 75011, in the East side of Paris. The website is Cantada.

The manager is a nice young French man, with a good English, very pleasant to talk. They have rock shows downstairs very often....

I was there Friday at 2 AM and stayed until 4:30 AM. They have a menu of more than 50 absinthe brands, most of them are Swiss or from Pontarlier... A few from other countries. I tried two, Duplais Blanche and Roquette.

The bar has a wonderful atmosphere, with interesting artwork. The "ambiance" is very friendly. And they also serve GOOD COFFEE at 4 am !!!! (I needed to be awake until the sunrise at 6 AM !)

I strongly suggest you to visit this bar if you are in Paris. If you like rock, check their shows. If you don't like rock, just go late, after the show is over, and enjoy their selection of absinthe and good people to talk.

Cheers,

- Marcelo

#12 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:38 AM

Maybe if you would have looked up the thread for the particular city (as the directions dictate), you would have been able to post this information under the information already posted for Cantada. ;)

Sorry, I'm a bit irritated this morning...

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#13 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:48 AM

yes.... I DO need to do research for every time, BEFORE I post anything in WS.... I understand the "spirit" now..

... if it is possible to delete my current post of Cantada, please do it.

I thought I was able to share my experience there, that is all....

- Marcelo

PS: or maybe an "google interface like built in WS" would help us to define existing posts, i.e., as we are typing, the interface shows previous records in the system........ :police:

#14 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:51 AM

I hear Peter sometimes hangs around Cantada, and if you're really lucky, he'll take you for some preban!
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#15 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:21 AM

Ach ! Must not be there often enough then :)

edit : Dammit Marcelo ! Since when is it polite to come right nextdoor to a fellow absintheur, go for an heure verte in a bar, and not propose to meet ? I thought after Boveresse we knew each other well enough !
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#16 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:04 AM

Aggelos : I did not know about this bar until 1:45 AM last Friday..... I was hanging out at the Sacre Coeur Basilica in Montmartre..... then I met an american guy, very friendly, from New York.... He said, I am going out to drink something, do you want to join ? Then I said, well, I cannot drink too much, because I am planning to stay awake the whole night until the sunrise at the Tour Eiffel...... he said, "I am going to an absinthe bar"..... and that made me change my plans in less than 3 seconds....

so.... that is the reason.... I was not planning to go out for absinthe, but the stairs of Sacre Coeur were full of drunks already and I had too much blood in my alcoholic system that time...

let's us try to meet next ! Right now I am back to Belfort.

- Marcelo

#17 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,811 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:26 AM

... if it is possible to delete my current post of Cantada, please do it.

I thought I was able to share my experience there, that is all....

I'd never want the post deleted. It's very good info. We want to hear about these experiences. We just ask that they be put in the right place so people can easily find them.

I'm going to merge this with the Paris thread.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#18 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Done.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#19 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

Can we do a trip to Paris as a group event? I miss Paris...it's been 25 years!

#20 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

Good idea. But shouldn't this thread be called Paris, France (just in case any Texans decide to look for their local absinthe shop and bars)?
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#21 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:36 PM

Is there any absinthe in Texas ? Maybe in Austin it seems possible....

- Marcelo

#22 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

This is a very good place to go:

La Fée Verte
108 rue de la Roquette
75011 Paris
tel : 01 43 72 3124

I had L'en Jôleuse and La Coquette there (6.5 Euros each)

I also tried a cocktail that they call Lait de Panthere : absinthe + Marie Brizard (very refreshing).

It is a nice atmosphere, and the street (rue da la Roquette) has several excellent options for a dinner before hitting the absinthe bar...

Aggelos, sorry that I could not contact you.... I just learned about this absinthe bar today, and I am in Paris for 1.5 day only, just in my way back to US from CdG airport....

cheers for all !

- Marcelo

#23 detroit442

detroit442

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:54 AM

I just got back from Paris and was somewhat taken aback as to the lack of Absinthe culture. As others have said, it (Absinthe) is still treated as taboo. I found my way to La Fée Verte and was very happy with the atmosphere as well as the selection. I highly recommend this bar/cafe. Also, just at the end of the street is the Pere Lachaise cemetery.

#24 Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Clement Arnoux (Aggelos)

Treasure Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

And at the other end la bastille :)

But well, yes, I have great difficulties educating people here
Absinthe makes me a different man. Why shouldn't he also have his two glasses ?
Unless Absomphe-related, if it's about old things, you can ask me

#25 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

8 more days and it is party time for you!!

#26 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

I met a group of 5 Parisians at the Kalispell Grand during RMGH, and they all thought Absinthe was dangerous and terrible tasting. By the time they left, they were interested in trying some.

I also got to practice my terrible French! Non, non, l'absinthe a un bon goût!

#27 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,679 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

8 more days and it is party time for you!!

Me, too.

Bastille day was my dad's birthday, and he would have been 98 this year.

Unfortunately, we didn't have the closest of relationships, and I've referred to July 14 as Bastid Day for decades, as a tribute to his pet name for me. :twitchsmile:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#28 mgs

mgs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

I was at Cantada today.

I had a Verte de Fougerolles and a Marteau... the price for drinking absinthe is very reasonable, comparable to a glass of wine... They have a very good selection of absinthe, but most of people there drink beer....

The place has ambient rock music, and downstairs they have the "Cabaret du Néant" with rock related activities. Of course, the people hanging out there are usually "old rock lovers" like me...

They have a simple but very tasty "medieval cuisine" to go along with the drinks.

The owner, Mickey, is a very friendly guy, and people speak English without any reservations... I again, recommend this bar in Paris.

Best,

- Marcelo

#29 stardust

stardust

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

I spent my first day in Paris today - went to Verte D' Absinthe and bought a couple of spoons and a bottle; then I went to La Fee Verte and was very pleased with the selection of absinthe and the knowledge of the bartender. I couldn't have been more pleased.

#30 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

Color me green! Sounds like a good trip so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association