#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:15 AM

LdF Retail Outlets page?

The Soho Wine Supply, 18 Percy Street, London W1 (PF 1901, Jade Nouvelle Orleans, Edouard, Verte Suisse, Duplais, Mansinthe and Blanche and Verte de Fougerolles)

Fortnum & Mason, Piccadilly, London W1 (Un Emile 68)

House of Frazer, Corporation Street Birmingham and Central Shopping Centre, Croydon ( Un Emile 68, Un Emile Sapin and Un Emile Blanche)

Lancelot Wines, 16 Bridge Road, East Molesey, Surrey (Jade Nouvelle Orleans and Verte de Fougerolles)

If your local wine and spirits supplier doesn't stock our absinthes ask them to contact us, we are always looking for good local distributors. If your suggestion is accepted we will give you a free bottle of your choice!

Perhaps you could email LdF in case there is someone new they haven't put on the page, yet.

The choice in Vinopolis is crap, even worse than in Gerry's. I would strongly recommended Soho Wine Supply. They are not too far away from Piccadilly - it's actually walkable distance (15 minutes or so) or you can take the tube, but you won't save a lot of time, because there's no direct line from Piccadilly Circus to Tottenham Court Road.

Fortnum & Mason no longer sell it. I spent a long time looking and couldn't see any sign of any absinthe (maybe La Fee XS, but I think that was in Selfridges on Oxford Street).

Gerry's, 74 Old Compton Street
Vintage House, 42 Old Compton Street

Both these Soho shops have big selections (including 1/2 gimmicky products to steer clear of). From recollection Harrod's has a smaller selection and may be more expensive than buying over the internet.

Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:51 PM

Some bars that purportedly sell absinthe:

Zensai
16 Inverness St. Camden, London

Zuma
5 Raphael Street, London

Hush
8 Lancashire Court, London

Match W1
37-38 Margaret St, London

Player
8-12 Broadwick St. London

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:30 AM

>Fortnum & Mason no longer sell it. I spent a long time looking and couldn't see any sign of any absinthe

F&M still sells Un Emile 68
Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#4 britgeekgrrl

britgeekgrrl

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

>Fortnum & Mason no longer sell it. I spent a long time looking and couldn't see any sign of any absinthe

F&M still sells Un Emile 68

Seconded. I picked up a bottle in the second week of February (and was very glad I did so. Nummers!)

On a related note: beware the selection at Heathrow Duty Free. When I was there in Feb '08, they only had two incredibly awful brands. Sebor and something else that escapes me, but it was some other crapsinthe that I was NOT willing to buy, even at Duty Free rates. I'd heard that they used to carry La Fee and Mansinthe, and maybe they did, but there was no sign of it during my time there.

- Johanna
Rough Cut

"All cynics are romantics underneath. It's why they become cynics."

#5 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:42 AM

If anyone wants to SELL absinthe in London (and not just buy it), here is a job opportunity that looks interesting.

And the "absinthe" concerned is this one.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#6 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

That would be a dream job for me if it were for a good brand. Xenta is turrble.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#7 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,534 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:26 AM

"Xenta Absenta is an absinth of exceptional quality, obtained following a unique and legendary recipe dating from the nineteenth century. This involves the steeping of aniseed, fennel and artemesia absinthium in alcohol for many weeks."

And then...?

Oops, no mention of distillation!

Plus, it's called an absenta and an absinth...perhaps they could add some twigz™ for extra balztrippin' goodness.

Even I don't lack enough integrity to sell such an assbath. :laf:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#8 JustImbibe

JustImbibe

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

Hey Brian - thanks for the list of pubs/bars in London; I'm going to go on an "Absinthe Tasting Tour" one night soon!
They speak of my drinking, but never think of my thirst.
---Scottish Proverb

I LUV
London

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Make sure to keep us up to date too!

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

On a related note: beware the selection at Heathrow Duty Free. When I was there in Feb '08, they only had two incredibly awful brands. Sebor and something else that escapes me, but it was some other crapsinthe that I was NOT willing to buy, even at Duty Free rates. I'd heard that they used to carry La Fee and Mansinthe, and maybe they did, but there was no sign of it during my time there.

- Johanna

Does anyone have any updated info on absinthe at Heathrow Duty Free? Any ideas on how to find out what's being sold there? My daughter's going to London in a couple of weeks...
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#11 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

We should have a few Brits lurking around here somewhere. :laugh:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#12 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

Does anyone have any updated info on absinthe at Heathrow Duty Free? Any ideas on how to find out what's being sold there? My daughter's going to London in a couple of weeks...

Just La Fée Parisienne. Last time I was there the 70 cl bottle was £28.

Assuming you don't want that, you could ask your daughter to go here, where they have one of the best retail selections of absinthe in the UK, including all the Jades, 3 Artemisia lines and Maison Fontaine, but beware the others. Their absinthe selection.

I've been meaning to update the London page for a while so here are a few more bars:

Nightjar: the biggest selection of quality absinthes in the UK, with sixteen products, almost all from Liqueurs de France and from Artemisia. Amazing cocktails and the winner of the Best New UK Bar of the Year.

Brompton Bar and Grill: London's first absinthe bar. Small selection, but highly focused on doing everything right.

Purl: a leader in molecular mioxology, but you can have your absinthes served the classic way too.

I was just sharing emails with an absinthe VIP, and we both agree that there is a real resurgence in absinthe in London right now. And it's led by real absinthes with hardly a bottle of artificially coloured, pre-sweetened "absinthe" going into the best bars. So far, it's only happening in 20/30 bars in London, but it's definitely happening.

I'll try to add a few more here in future.

#13 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:55 AM

ugh, La Fee... My daughter says she doesn't want to put a bottle in her checked bags, but I'll give her the info about the Whisky Exchange and put a little mom pressure on her. Thanks, Alan.
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#14 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

Checked bags are much "safer" in my opinion. Since no airline in the world allows you to carry on liquor that wasn't purchased in the Duty Free shop, I've got very relaxed about having liquor in my checked bags. Not that I would ever take in more than the legal allowance of course ....

#15 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

I've been meaning to update the London page for a while so here are a few more bars:

Nightjar: the biggest selection of quality absinthes in the UK, with sixteen products, almost all from Liqueurs de France and from Artemisia. Amazing cocktails and the winner of the Best New UK Bar of the Year.

Nightjar's new absinthe collection reviewed. A couple of errors in the review, but it's clearly the best quality range in the UK with only one artificially coloured brand stocked.

#16 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

Whoa... I'm thinking I need to make a trip to London really soon. I do have a week off in April...

I especially like the drink that is described as being served "ice cold in a steaming teapot." Excellent.

#17 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

I'm heading to London in about two weeks. Have a few places from this thread to visit for getting my absinthe fix while there. Any other suggestions that aren't listed here?

#18 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Stick to the more recent suggestions here.

Add:-

Montgomery Place
Zetter Townhouse (Not the main Zetter Hotel next door)
The Hide Bar

#19 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Cool, thanks!

#20 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Just got back from London. I only had a chance to visit two bars that serve absinthe: the Brompton Bar and Nightjar.

The Brompton Bar was very nice, but had only about three absinthes in stock: La Clandestine, Butterfly, and Angelique. Good choices though. I didn't try any of the cocktails, but they did pull out a nice little absinthe fountain and the small plates of food we got were delicious. We sat at the bar, but it seemed more of a restaurant than a bar to me.

Nightjar is one of the most beautiful bars I've ever been in. Lots of dark wood, ornate tin ceilings, cozy snugs, and a great, underground atmosphere. We were there on a night with a solo pianist who accompanied his Italian-accented blues vocals with some fantastic playing. Unfortunately the crowd was just starting to really get into the music--singing along, a little clapping and hooting, at least one couple at the far end of the bar had gotten up to dance and we were settling in for a long fun night--when the guy stopped playing at 11 pm. Apparently there is a law...

And the absinthe. A very impressive list of 16 different brands. I wish they would publish the list somewhere online; I haven't been able to find it. When it was just me drinking absinthe I was given a silver see-saw dripper (I have to get me one of those) but when we both ordered absinthe they brought out a lovely fountain. I tried five of the absinthes and liked them all.

I loved Nightjar and will definitely go back next time I'm in London. My one complaint was the service; maybe we just got a bad waitress but she didn't seem very interested in doing her job. Also, we apparently had such a good time that when we left we forgot to buy a deck of their playing cards which have photos and recipes of cocktails on each card. Damn I really wanted those!

Posted Image

Edited by crow, 28 April 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#21 Ian Hutton

Ian Hutton

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

Barts of Chelsea (famous for their 'Up in Smoke' Perique-based cocktails) now serve Enigma verte and Brut d'alembic

Barts of Chelsea

#22 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I'll be poking about in some cocktail bars from September 20th - 25th. Anyone want to catch a drink?

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association