8 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:54 AM

Fine Spirits Corner (Cava de los Faros) is located in Barcelona - Plaza Universidad, nș 5. Lots of goodies there. Also, several absinthe bars in the bohemian section off of the east side of Las Ramblas. You won't find much good absinthe though. Mostly Czech stuff.

In Barcelona, along with all of the normal sites to see, don't miss a stroll through the market. Mercat San Josep (Mercado de San Jose), or more popularly known as La Boqueria. The entrance is located on Las Ramblas on the east side of the street, in the Raval District. It's tough to miss while you're walking along that Paseo. It truly is one of the most amazing markets I've EVER seen. Try to make your way through the whole thing. The seafood and fruit sections are the best, but there's also some good cafes on the back side where you can get a lot of really good spanish classics and maybe even drink some absinthe.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:02 AM

I made it to Spirits Corner, in Barcelona, the real store. It is called "La Cava de Los Faros." After walking a few miles to the location, I arrived to a closed store. I was pissed. All this absinthe in the window, and I couldn't get in. However, all stores in Barcelona randomly close throughout the afternoon for extended lunches... or something like that. So I had a few cigs, waited around, and sure enough, the shopkeepers came back and reopened it. There were two elderly folks, a man and a woman. I told them I had purchased from them before, but they did not recognize my name (I haven't ordered from them in years). I only bought a bottle of Montmarte from them while in the store. This picture is the left side of their main ABSINTHE window.
Posted Image

This is the right side of the absinthe window.
Posted Image

Store Front
Posted Image

Store Front
Posted Image

Here we have another VERY popular absinthe in Barcelona, and in the other cities I visited. Blue and Red Absinthe.
Posted Image

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#3 LadyCarmilla

LadyCarmilla

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

I have found a couple of shops in Barcelona where you can buy Obsello - just Obsello. Not a great variety, but hey, if you just happen to be around... Maybe they'll expand.

-Celler Mestres
Carrer del Tenor Masini, 28
08028 Barcelona

-Torres
C/Nou de la Rambla, 25
08001 Barcelona

Of course they have all kind of liquors. Maybe Brian would enjoy a visit ;)
"Absinthe is the aphrodisiac of the self. The green Fairy who lives in the absinthe wants your soul. But you are safe with me" - Gary Oldman as Dracula

#4 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,825 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

I've always enjoyed visiting Spain. Any part of it. Planning on hopefully going back in the Spring.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#5 seeker of truth

seeker of truth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I'd empty the Clandestine, Mansinthe, Un Emile, and the Montmartre before I put them in the window... you know to protect 'em from the sunlight.
I talk like a drunk man walks, in every which way but where he is headed.

#6 LadyCarmilla

LadyCarmilla

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Very disappointed right now.

Husband is in Barcelona today and offered to buy absinthe from me. I told him to go to La Cava de los Faros, and to purchase either La Clandestine or Mansinthe (saw those available on the website). They told him they were out of Mansinthe, and that they could get for him Clandestine for Saturday, but he leaves the city tomorrow, so there was no time. And then they tried the thujone sales speech with him, saying that thujone is the only thing that matters in absinthe, that the French remove all thujone contents from their absinthes. Husband said he had to bite his tongue to not say that La Clandestine is Swiss.

Oh well...
"Absinthe is the aphrodisiac of the self. The green Fairy who lives in the absinthe wants your soul. But you are safe with me" - Gary Oldman as Dracula

#7 TheLoucheyMonster!

TheLoucheyMonster!

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Sad to see Spain has so few traditional quality domestic absentas

The Spanish speaking world could well use a good forum and website like WS in Spanish.

#8 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,750 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Es la verdad, Louchie.

Edited by Absomphe, 15 November 2012 - 01:24 PM.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#9 LadyCarmilla

LadyCarmilla

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Sad to see Spain has so few traditional quality domestic absentas

The Spanish speaking world could well use a good forum and website like WS in Spanish.

Indeed! I recently told someone I enjoyed absinthe, and he told me that his friends took him to a bar where he was served an awful-tasting shot of absinthe. I put my teaching hat and proceeded to explain the basics: that absinthe had to be diluted, that it should taste of anise to begin with... He was not convinced by my explanations, though. I should insist that he seeks the name of the bar for me, so I can check it myself (he did not remember it).

I have purchased until now three Spanish absinthes, Obsello, Deva and Lasala. Deva and Lasala, I like them both, but I guess it is because I love the strong anise taste. It's very difficult to find anything else in them, apart from a slight bitterness. I liked the Obsello too, so different from the other two, but it's becoming more difficult to find here, even online.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association