26 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:46 AM

For this guide, our aim is to provide the most comprehensive resource for absintheurs as possible. If you have been to a city and have seen a bar or club that serves absinthe, or a store that sells it, feel free to add it here.

Before you do:

Check to make sure that the city isn't already listed. The sorting is done alphabetically by city.
- If it is, add your post within that thread.
- If it isn't, add a new thread, with the name of the city as the title of the thread.

Use a mapping system if at all possible. Link the location to something like Google maps. The more information, the better.

Also, if you have visited ANY of these locations and have updates, please post them as well do we can keep this as up to date as possible. If you can remark on what types of absinthe are offered, please add that information as well.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#2 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

You forgot to add Seattle to the list. Have you forgotten that Seattle is the capitol of the absinthe world? :devil:

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:05 AM

:harhar:

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

Great job, Shabba. I've made the default sorting alphabetical, to make it easier to scan down the list. It's going to get long.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:24 AM

Perfect! :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 Marc

Marc

absintheoriginals.com

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:03 PM

Just a suggestion, I would have sorted them by Country personally.

I wanted to add that place too:

France - Bonneville la Louvet
Mthuilli's Open Bar
24/7
Modern and vintage absinthes are served in some old materials.
The owner is a bit crazy, but doesn't bite.

:devil:

#7 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

That's a good idea for when the list has grown. As of now, it's still in its infancy, so there wouldn't be much in each category.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#8 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

What's the threshold for inclusion? I notice you mostly have large cities on your list. Do you want small towns and cities as well? Or would it make sense to (for the USA) include states and major cities only?

Was there any consideration of putting this resource on the main WWS site? That would seem like an appropriate place for it.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

I think that outside of the US, any town will work. I don't see an issue with it.

Inside the US, I think maybe stick to metro areas unless there's something really special. Or list small towns in the threads that correspond to the nearest metro area, kind of like what I did with Frankfurt.

Also, I don't really see the need to list liquor stores in the states that carry it, since we already know what they will be carrying, and also since most liquor stores are networked in most states.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

I think this is a really cool guide and have to agree with Hiram...

It's going to get long.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#11 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

That's exactly what my goal was (is).

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#12 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

So, does Kalispell and Missoula MT go in the Seattle thread? It is only a 10 hour drive. ;)
Perhaps Denver? Calgary? :harhar:
I am the wood nymph.

#13 Pan Buh

Pan Buh

Incomplete Absinthe Geek

• Indefinite Suspension
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

You want me to tell you the local outlets I know of?

#14 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Was there any consideration of putting this resource on the main WWS site? That would seem like an appropriate place for it.

I've considered it. ;)

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#15 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,819 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Also, please refrain from adding posts to these threads that aren't adding anything factual. We don't want people having to sift through a bunch of meaningless posts to find the info. Those posts will be made invisible.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#16 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

How about countries that don't have any absinthe at all? I recently went to Iceland and was really looking forward to buying a bottle to enjoy during my stay... only to find to my great dismay that it is illegal there! Had to have an absinthe-free holiday. :angry:
"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#17 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

OUCH!!!!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#18 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

Cross that out as a vacation destination. I'll just have to go down Etna to go watch an ichthyosaur fight a plesiosaur. Much better with a Rick Wakeman CD, and a bottle of La Grenouille.

Sorry, long tiring day.

#19 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

I don't know of any countries than ban it off the top of my head but I remember something about most Scandinavian countries not allowing anything over a certain proof. Absinthe being high proof would of course be illegal under those circumstances.

So much for moving to Iceland...

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#20 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

moving to Iceland...

...anything for love, but... :laugh:
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#21 Evan Camomile

Evan Camomile

"Mr The Judge"

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Aw come on! Fermented (in it's own digestive and waste juices) Shark! You just can't beat that. ;)

American Absintheur
Blog | FB | Twitter

#22 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

I recently went to Iceland and was really looking forward to buying a bottle to enjoy during my stay... only to find to my great dismay that it is illegal there! Had to have an absinthe-free holiday. :angry:

Absinthe IS legal in Iceland. You can even buy Pernod Absinthe in Duty Free there.

Oh, wait ...

How about countries that don't have any absinthe at all?

Some of the Middle East countries that ban all alcohol, e.g. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc.

And Vanuatu.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#23 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

To Alan Moss... Believe me, I asked THREE TIMES IN THREE DIFFERENT PLACES because I was so disappointed. Yes, in the duty free shop when I was leaving I saw Pernod and.. no NOT Pernod absinthe, READ CAREFULLY! It was that absinthe-like stuff without wormwood... which would have been good enough, except it was not available anywhere except the duty free shop at the airport. It was called Pernod essence of absinthe or something, made under the country's strict regulations (says on the front label). Again, that would have been good enough and I would have happily bought it, but I only saw it at the airport duty free when I was leaving. I was very clearly told three times by BARTENDERS that absinthe is illegal in Iceland. This was less than two weeks ago.

I did check one liquor store, but it had no Pernod, no Pernod essence of absinthe, NO ABSINTHE. I didn't check every liquor store in Reykjavik, and if I had checked a bigger store I might have found that essence stuff... but after having been assured that absinthe was illegal I gave up, having no idea I might find a satisfactory (?) substitute.

Edited by crow, 05 October 2011 - 10:01 AM.

"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#24 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

Bartenders: The Final Word on Absinthe. :dry:

Honestly, if you listen to bartenders, you'll end up with a flaming shot of day-glo paint thinner. Or better yet, asking for absinthe, the bartender saying "we don't have any of that" and having to point at the bottle you're talking about. Where it's probably possible those bars didn't have absinthe, and I'm positive the bartenders believed themselves to be right...I've found most of the time bartenders don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to absinthe.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

#25 Père Ubu

Père Ubu

Veni Vidi Bibit

• 4,572 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

So Alan, Claude's stuff is available in Iceland? I might have to rethink canceling my active volcano 4x4 tour. :biggrin:

#26 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

No, we don't sell anything to Iceland.

To Alan Moss... Believe me, I asked THREE TIMES IN THREE DIFFERENT PLACES because I was so disappointed. Yes, in the duty free shop when I was leaving I saw Pernod and.. no NOT Pernod absinthe, READ CAREFULLY! It was that absinthe-like stuff without wormwood... which would have been good enough, except it was not available anywhere except the duty free shop at the airport. It was called Pernod essence of absinthe or something, made under the country's strict regulations (says on the front label).

You mean this? By "Pernod essence of absinthe," maybe you mean "Pernod aux extraits ..." The same as sold in the USA and elsewhere. I think the Wormwood Society classifies it as absinthe. And it would not be courteous of me to disparage a competitor's product, would it?!

Maybe the Iceland bartenders were correct, but I'm constantly told by prospective customers that "absinthe is illegal here," only to find it isn't.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#27 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Yes, maybe that was what I saw. The price, though... $27 as opposed to the $60 of the regular Pernod, made me think it was not what I was looking for. Again, had I seen it earlier in the trip I would have bought it in a sec.

As for not taking the word of the bartenders... I am a naturally suspicious person which is why I asked three times. I clearly wasn't going to find it in a bar. I even started asking for Pernod and couldn't find that either. There was one large liquor store that might have had it, but of course it was closed on Sunday, the day I happened by. IF absinthe is available in Iceland at all, it isn't readily available and I hope someone will please post WHERE I can find it in Iceland.

Not that I will be going back any time soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association