Milan

Advice on selling a vintage bottle of Absinthe

I got nothin'. I sent 2 email addresses that could take the large photos. Nothin', yet.

Better take breath, mthuilli.

I have the photos. Waiting for permission from him to resize and post. The label is most impressive. Almost unbelievable (but not in a faked way), but the contents are probably not potable.

Well, a big let down. Apparently, for whatever reason, he doesn't want the pics posted. I don't really know why, but I'll keep bugging him about it.

Well, a big let down. Apparently, for whatever reason, he doesn't want the pics posted.

Hmmm, trying to sell a product but you don't want the pictures posted. :g:

Now, why isn't that a big red flag? Or bullshit alarm? I'm just asking.

To be honest, I saw the pictures too, the bottle itself is superb, has its original paper slip cover, it's an american Edouard Pernod.

But it has been re-sealed with red wax since, so nobody can guarantee the content. It is half full.

I'm waiting to hear more about it.

Once it is sealed you can talk people into buying anything unless a small sample is drawn from the bottle through syringe for further analysis.

Hey folks,

Thanks very much for the advice that I've received so far. To be honest I've thrown a huge amount of info and e-mails at my friend about these bottles (that he trashpicked!!) and I think that he needs to sleep on it for awhile. (for starters he has to go from hearing the possible price for a perfect bottle, to considering what a probably previously opened bottle might be worth!) (my memory of the bottle being sealed didn't account for a red wax which is probably not original)

I was advised to not post the photos from a middleman who is concerned that I will affect his market by my own efforts.

Obviously I've never done this before, and probably will never have a bottle of vintage absinthe to sell again in the future. I also don't want to screw up too badly on behalf of my friend - (who is not enormously motivated to sell in the first place).

You can also imagine, that I don't care two whoops about absinthe in and of itself (other than a general fascination with antiques, etc.) I would just like to see my friend realize a fair and hopefully significant payday. So if I have acted without following typical protocol I can only plead ignorance.

So, I will let my friend sleep on it for a few days, and will have to leave mthulli's and shabba's (who you all presumably trust) evaluations speak for themselves.

Again, any advice is welcome, and thanks for your patience and understanding.

Kind Regards,

Milan

Edited by Milan

Thanks for the update Milan.

To drink Edouard Pernod and re-fill it with anything within the reach of hand?
Pay attention. The bottle is half full. If someone wanted to scam a sale they would have filled the bottle.

If it is half full, then it is even easier, as in needs half full replacement and half full drinking of Edouard Pernod (if it is actually there in the first place).