Milan

Advice on selling a vintage bottle of Absinthe

Hello,

My best friend found a collection of around 15 bottles (only one of which is absinthe) in the Beacon Hill section of Boston about four years ago. They were wonderful antiques so he brought them home as knick-knacks. Of the bottles maybe 5 were empty, five half full, and five sealed. The nicest of the sealed bottles is absinthe. It is particularly stunning because it has a fairly nice paper slip cover with a fetching art nouveau print on it, which makes the actual label pristine. We have both heard of the historical "legend" of absinthe and have occasionally wondered about either cracking the bottle open to sample or somehow finding a crazy rock star who would be willing to buy it. Instead I found your website. (We did try some from the half full bottle of 120 year old brandy at New Years this year and my taste is obviously woefully unsophisticated!) It is Pernod Fils, probably from 1890-1900, well sealed and stored with a slip cover.

I emailed the folks at oxygenee, but haven't heard back yet.

Can you advise us on how best to find a buyer for this antique absinthe? It appears to be from just before the turn of the century and the collection as a whole has some fascinating hand types importation labels written to the owner of the liquor. It sounds easiest to sell it to oxygenee, but it also sounds as if they would generally buy lower in order to sell higher to an end user.

Also, can anyone throw out a ball park price either for selling to oxygenee or selling direct to an end user. I've looked but can find no price quotes. So I have no idea if my friend stands to gain $300, $3,000, $30,000

or what. It is a very pristine looking bottle, but I can't say much more about it since it is actually in my friend's possession so I can't look at it directly now.

Thanks so much, I doubt I'll ever be an absinthe pursuer, but I can respect what you all are doing.

best wishes,

Milan

Can you post a picture or two? There are several people (not me) here that can help you determine it authenticity and it's value. Assuming it is indeed authentic, there will be questions about it's condition. It's value could literally be between a couple hundred dollars for a really cool bottle full of garbage or less-than-$4000. Or, you could break it up into 50cl or 100cl samples.

But really, could you post some pictures? Thanks.

Hi,

I'm on my way out of town for the weekend. I'm sure that my friend will get some photos together soon and hopefully he'll send them over and I will try to post them. If the bottle is perfectly sealed, which is what I remember, wouldn't the buyer assume that it is in good condition, or does a buyer use a needle to sample and if they do, wouldn't that compromise it's value. Especially if the buyer then didn't buy it!

What I assume is that the condition is some how assessed visually only. Are there people up in Boston who are qualified appraisers?

It's exciting and I'll try to post photos when I get them. Also, how rare is the paper sleeve?

but you're saying that a typical price for a nice bottle is around $3,500? Also, would you advise that he just stash this under his bed for 20 years? It seems to me that as rare as they are today, they will be non-existent in twenty years...

thanks.

Probably, I would advise sending it to me. ;)

There are a number of factors that could effect the contents including how and where it was stored. Waiting 20 years would certainly improve it's value if the contents are in good condition. If the contents have spoiled, the increase in value would be minimal.

I'd guess $3500 would be the high end of it's current value right now. Like I say, there are others here much more knowledgeable than I. I wouldn't guess value of the accompanying things. Everyone will question the authenticity until it is confirmed authentic by a respected expert. I know there are a couple in your area.

Good pics will help us to at least superficially assess value. When you post your pics, we'll let you know what other pics need to be taken. Things will progress as needed.

Value of the bottle (and sleeve) is based on dozens of criteria. So, as T73 said, it could be worth anywhere from $200-$4000 or so.

HA!

Reminds of one that did exactly the same on FV.

Needless to say that we've never seen any picture.

Milan, your bottle is worth $200 sealed in perfect condition. Period.

So, you asked Oxy and he wasn't interested enough to answer? How strange...

Pre-ban!! Good for you. It is some tasty stuff if it aged well.

I would think an empty bottle would go for nearly $200.00!

I gather mthuilli knows something about this gig. If he says it's worth only $200 bucks, I believe him. There aren't many people that know as much about absinthe value.

Ahem. As a member of this forum who lives in pretty close proximity to this alleged bottle, I nominate myself to go and inspect it. I will need a glass, a spoon, some sugar cubes, and complete privacy for three hours. Yup. That should do it! :devil:

Mthuilli used to sell bridges. ;)

Still does. He gave me a great deal on an old bridge from London. I'm just waiting for it to be delivered from Arizona.

Mthuilli used to sell bridges. ;)

Still does. He gave me a great deal on an old bridge from London. I'm just waiting for it to be delivered from Arizona.

Wanna buy the Eiffel Tower?

Free worldwide shipping.

I also have some islands and stars in stock ready for immediate shipping.

Always PM. mthuilli would hate to start a bidding war.

Not to detract from mthuilli (whom I covet every item he posts), I am anxiously waiting for the other shoe to drop. ;)

I was just downtown today and saw that Skinner is having an auction of rare wines later this week. Your friend could schlepp it across the Public Garden & maybe try his luck there.

Hey all,

So I've got the photos, but...

They are all way over the 100K Max. single upload size.

What now? Is there a photo section of this site or something?

I've sent them to a couple of possible buyers, but I am still looking for advice on how my friend can make the most on his sale.

Thanks for any advice,

Milan