JJBlanche

Is Kübler really an absinthe?

I'm sure some of you would laugh at this question upon first glance. However, I've heard a number of people say that Kübler is more in line with a pastis than it is an absinthe. For those that have tried it, what do you think? A decent first blanche for the US market, or a glorified arak? I ask because I have a bottle scheduled to arrive tomorrow...

It's absinthe.

Some people have trouble smelling or tasting the wormwood in it. But in a bottle that's been allowed to breathe for one week I can detect it quite easily. And in my several-month-old bottle of Kübler the wormwood character is substantially stronger than in a friend's bottle of Duplais Blanche.

If it didn't have wormwood in it I'd say it's a lot like an arak, and bears little resemblance to a pastis.

A side-by-side tasting of Kübler and Razzouk really illustrates the differences between arak and absinthe and helped me learn to distinguish the wormwood present in the former. Even my SO who is not an absinthe freak says she can tell the difference easily now.

It's the only absinthe available in this country that I'd buy. Not a big fan of Lucid. I don't think it's necessarily bad but there is a "murky" taste I'm not too fond of. I think Kübler is much better, JMO.

The thing that really strikes me about the Kübler is the fennel. About 5 sec. after each sip it just hits you then lingers until your next. Not very complex but crisp and clean, delicious. I'm a fan.

A side-by-side tasting of Kübler and Razzouk really illustrates the differences between arak and absinthe and helped me learn to distinguish the wormwood present in the former. Even my SO who is not an absinthe freak says she can tell the difference easily now.

Hmm... So would you suggest a bottle of Razzouk as an educational tool?

That works out perfectly! I can order it and a bottle Kübler from BevMo and it's just in the money to use a $10 coupon (BEVTEN) and then pick up at the store to save on shipping...

Thanks,

-- T

Yes, Kübler is a fairly nice blanche Absinthe.

Enjoy your bottle.

As others have pointed out, a side by side tasting with Kübler and an Arak would prove quite educational. If you've got it around, I'd also suggest adding a pastis, like Pernod to your tasting.

Tease out the differences between anise and star anise. Wormwood and no wormwood. Sugar and little to no sugar.

~Erik

Pernod 45 is not pastis. It's a liqueur d'anis, the predominant flavor being star anise. Pastis is supposed to be based more on licorice. Pernod "51" is not bad for a pastis, but is not available in the U.S.

Pernod 45 is not pastis. It's a liqueur d'anis, the predominant flavor being star anise. Pastis is supposed to be based more on licorice. Pernod "51" is not bad for a pastis, but is not available in the U.S.

Fair enough. Are there any traditional Pastis* available in the US?

I like Bardouin, but I suspect its botanicals might be a bit too wide ranging to qualify as traditional.

Granier? Prado?

I was suggesting the Pernod to get a handle on a fairly single noted star anise based spirit/liqueur. Another choice for Star Anise might be Sambuca, but most of those are just so damn sweet I don't know how anyone drinks them.

*To be honest I hate using the term Pastis, as I don't really think it means anything. Sorry that I used it. There's got to be a better noun. Licorice flavored alcoholic beverages from the South of France just doesn't have the same ring.

As others have pointed out, a side by side tasting with Kübler and an Arak would prove quite educational.
Especially in terms of the difference a grape spirits base will make.

Does Arak have a grape spirit base? Kübler is made with grain neutral spirit.

Razzouk helped me learn that you can type 2000 words in a story completely lacking in punctuation. Oi vey.

BTW, for myself and other spirit noobs, what is the process for allowing a spirit to "breathe"? Is it simply opening and re-closing the bottle and letting it sit?

Not only can you use it as an educational tool, but it can be quite delicious in its own right. :cheers:

It's amazing how much flavor those Lebanese distillers extract from just a quality grape base, some good grren anise, and six months to two years of patient aging in those mystical clay jars.

I can taste the wormwood in it, but barely. It could use more wormwood in it IMHO.

Same goes for Lucid.

But then, what about the TTB tests?

So even those European absinthes under 10 ppm thujone might not be as flavorful as those between 11 and 35 ppm? You haven't started drinking Czech stuff have you?

Just so people know, "taste threshold for quinine sulfate = 3.376 mg/liter water". (I've just learned that human taste perception for copper in water is 5-7 ppm. But for nomilin, a bitter citrus limonoid, it is as low as 0.8-1.7 ppm. Hydrogren sulfide in water is also very low, 0.05 ppm cause taste and odor problems. So I guess it's entirely possible to taste the thujone.)

It's amazing how less flavour some of those Polish distillers extract from just a dirty spirit base, some low-grade wormwood and 0 months to 0 years of impatient unaging.

So even those European absinthes under 10 ppm thujone might not be as flavorful as those between 11 and 35 ppm? You haven't started drinking Czech stuff have you?

As was already mentioned before, even the Wormwood Blanche, which had some of the most flavorful Wormwood notes I've ever tried tested well below the 10 ppm threshold.

even the Wormwood Blanche, which had some of the most flavorful Wormwood notes I've ever tried

It doesn't mean it contained more wormwood.

My point was about :

(Zman @ Mar 4 2008, 04:26 AM)

It could use more wormwood in it

Have you tried the CCC?

A.A. and... A.A.