printmkr

Latest in Legal USA Absinthes?

Nah, that's not what he meant. There are a few folks that love to Breaux-bash and hate everything from Jade whether they've tried it or not. I hope we try to judge beverages and people more objectively than that at WS.

I'm just trying to point out that generalizations are crap. FV isn't anti-Breaux and WS isn't pro-Breaux and different people have different opinions. The few folks you describe are an extreme minority even at FV.

Yet those few are almost always given disproportionate attention.

I don't think you really understand what I'm getting at regarding eclecticmage's post.

No, I understand exactly what you are getting at. I prefer to play nice. It's a fault, I know.

I agree. The disproportionate few are given disproportionate attention possibly because they've been around awhile and carry some measure of credence, right or wrong. It would be easy for someone new to be intimidated by them. If a new member encountered that barrage of Breaux-Bashing-Bullshit, it would be easy to lump the whole group as overbearing. That is not my opinion. I have tremendous regard for FV, the vast majority of it's members and administrator(s) and I enjoy that forum very much. Generalizations are just that but when you've picked the one bad apple out of the barrel, it's not always easy to enthusiastically grab another.

Clarification:

I have received a lot of good support and suggestions from people at FV. However, the old saying "The squeeky wheel gets the oil." holds very true in this sense. While they are a minority at FV, the people who like to act elitist and, in turn, like complete assholes to anyone who is not as knowledgeable as they are tend to stand out more then the people who are nice. Its a sad fact but its how the world works. The good is often overlooked by the boisterous.

As for Breaux-Bashing-Bullshit(sorry, love the alliteration in that), I don't mind people not liking his stuff but instead of actually giving reasons to why they think it may be hyped crap or not they just bash the absinthe and then bash the poster thinking themselves better for knowing more. It's frustrating to someone like me who is interested in learning all I can about absinthe in present day but getting met with harsh words as opposed to well thought out opinions presented in a civil manner.

And finally, I have to agree with T73 on his last sentence,

Generalizations are just that but when you've picked the one bad apple out of the barrel, it's not always easy to enthusiastically grab another.

I have posted a few times on FV and received good conversation but invariably at some point one of these "bad apples" will float to the surface and spout their messages of arrogance and hate and ruin any possibly good conversation. I just think its stupid that people take such a smug attitude online because whether you are knowledgeable on a subject or not, you are still only talking on the internet, after all. Why be an ass to someone you don't even know who is only trying to learn when you can just as easily educate them through intelligently phrased ideas and perhaps convert someone to your ideas as well?

At least thats just my opinion, take it how you will.

*Edit*

My apologies for hijacking the thread as I had a serious question as to if anyone knew what the next few brands that would be available in the US would be. However, it went downhill from there.

Edited by eclecticmage

To be fair and clear, I should point out that this is what I had a problem with:

I hate to say it but I get a feeling that some people really dislike Ted Breaux over on the FV forums.

Which suggested to me that what you didn't like is that some people dared to dislike Ted at FV, not how they expressed it. And that here at WS we're good kids who stay in our proper places instead of committing such blasphemy.

I appreciate your clarification.

And also to point out with my quote I did say some people. That narrows it down from a generalization to a small amount.

However, its not that they dislike his absinthe but rather him as a person. I have seen a number of posts where some people(theres those words again) just say negative things about him as a person. I don't personally know but from the way they would make it sound, it's like he is single handedly giving the absinthe community a bad name. I know that is not the case at all but at the same point I don't see how bashing him as a person is in anyways helpful to critiquing an absinthe.

I saw your top 10, peridot, and saw that the Jade Edouard was on your list. Now I cannot say I have a learned palate, being that I have only had 3 real absinthes(the one czechsinthe doesn't count). Those are the Jade Edouard, Verte Suisse 65 and Kübler 53. So far, the Kübler I enjoy because it has a nice taste and the Verte Suisse I really liked because the flavor was noticeably different then the Edouard. The Edouard so far has not been my favorite but due to previous experience, it is not my least favorite by a large margin. All this I said to preface my next statement. I am really wanting to get some PF 1901 and Belle Amie as it seems a lot of people love those particular absinthes.

Side note, your avatar is strange and I don't understand it. Who is that and what is he "saying"?

Stromu is one of them. Under 5 ppm as reported on their own site.

Has just been officially imported to Poland (available in Warsaw only so far). 9.6 mg/l. The price is 80zł/70cl (circa 32 USD).

I saw your top 10, peridot, and saw that the Jade Edouard was on your list.

I like some Jades and not others.

I am really wanting to get some PF 1901 and Belle Amie as it seems a lot of people love those particular absinthes.

To be fair, even though I consider Belle Amie to be my favourite current CO, it's not without its glaring flaws.

Side note, your avatar is strange and I don't understand it. Who is that and what is he "saying"?

It's Nergal from the band Behemoth. The song is Decade of Therion.

I prefer T73's read on the avatar.

I also believe flaws are not necessarily a bad thing. A flaw can lend an unmistakable character to the thing in question, whether that thing be a beverage or a forum poster. Of course, since taste is an inherently subjective measure what actually qualifies as a flaw can be a sticky issue, too. Interpretation, tools of measurement and personal likes and dislikes themselves can always be fallible, unreliable and open for further discussion. There's a lot of reading between the lines necessary to establish one's own window of preferences. Absolutes are pretty dang hard to nail down. Moods change. Circumstances change. Heck, the seasons change, thank goodness. And yet through all the flux, all this constant will to change, we'd prefer to think that identity remains unfazed. Whatever it is, to err is human and I know I'm sure as sure not perfect and I probably wouldn't recognize a perfect absinthe if I had it right in front of me. Except I'd have an even harder time recognizing it if wasn't right in front of me. And that's a big, important difference right there.

It's Nergal from the band Behemoth. The song is Decade of Therion.

Hmm. I thought he was saying "Behold my creation! I've decided to call it... 'The Wheel.'"

To be fair, even though I consider Belle Amie to be my favourite current CO, it's not without its glaring flaws.

Agreed.

Mostly due to a heavy hand in the coloration step, and too light a hand on the anise.

Hopefully, the next run will have addressed these issues.

That would be why I didn't recognize him. I figured it was a metal band but not one I had listened to actively. (shameless plug) I have my own metal band and if you guys are interested the myspace page is Here.

Back on topic,

As I said before, my knowledge of absinthe is limited to the three I will actually claim. I am wanting to broaden that and, hopefully with the help of a nice tax check, purchase a sample of the original pre-ban stuff. I have been talking with David at Oxygénée and I am excited but broke. Cest la Vie right?

Otherwise, I will have to say that of the three I have really enjoyed the Jade VS more then the others but thats just my personal tastes at the moment.

I wouldn't drink the pre-ban until you've had some more experience under your belt. Spending that kind of money, you want to make sure you're going to be able to fully appreciate it.

I didn't say don't get any. Just put it away for a while when you DO get it.

I offer a 'safe keeping' service for this type of situation. Feel free to PM me for rates. :devil:

Luscious Oily Lesbians! I'm sure. I bet you also have some great "lake front" property in Florida to sell me.

Side note, I got the cheap fountain and it improves the experience by at least 10 fold. Good times!

I see it is approved on the COLA site, but haven't heard of it before today.

Yeah!

I'm sure it's another bandwagon company, unfortunately.

I have a feeling we are going to see a flood of absinthe into the market in the near future.

That's why a place like this is so important. Inevitably, many of these bandwagon absinthes--great term by the way--will get tested by members here and we'll quickly learn the ins and outs of them. Poopy times for the guinea pigs, but for the greater sake of absinthe posterity, someone's gotta take one for the team!

Thanks for that post, peridot! I just checked their own site!

I guess I was just thinking of their approval to sell in the US.

Watching the US absinthe market mature is going to be just like watching the European one, only without the shipping costs. I'm going to save thousands!