printmkr

Latest in Legal USA Absinthes?

Just checking in! Is Kübler and Lucid still the only absinthes in the USA at this point? Anyone heard rumors of what is coming next?

Short story is that Kübler and Lucid are slowly making their way across the country. St.George is not readily available and some are questioning whether it is real absinthe anyway. La Tourniquet is not readily available but that's a good thing because it is not a good thing.

The rumor is, big things are happening and they're just around the corner.

I am in a city of less than 1000 people and we have Lucid and (ahem) absente here now! As fast as these arrived here, I'm sure great things are around the corner!

We're still behind the times here in PA. Can't even get a decent pastis let alone absinthe. Luckily I live in southern PA and a quick trip across the MD line and I can get Lucid & Kübler. Me & Heartburn just made a run today actually. It's $59.00 for Lucid and I think $54.70 for Kübler, but I can't remember.

The LCB in this state sucks. I've had a few conversations with them and it always turns out that I know more than the person I'm talking to. They're usually like... "Isn't that stuff illegal?" Then when you go to a liquor store they're like... "Yeah, we have that."... and then walk over and point out the Absente & Pernod pastis.

Oh well, I'm just thankful that we get cable TV and high speed internet here I guess.

Then when you go to a liquor store they're like... "Yeah, we have that."... and then walk over and point out the Absente & Pernod pastis.

I experienced that myself on Friday at a local liquor store. I didn't expect them to have it, just "testing the water" so to speak. The counter guy proceeded to point out absente. He seemed to get a bit chafed when I tried to explain that absente was not true absinthe.

Dan and I went to one of our favorite stores this last weekend, and I was hoping they'd have one or the other, since they've had an open space available right next to the Pernod, Ricard, and Absente. I didn't dare even look at the employees lest they go into their memorized speech again.

You have to remember that these folks aren't liquor experts. They've been told by the distributor that it's absinthe, and not being experts they just go along with that.

Further, just because it's available in other states, it may not be available in yours. Every state has its own liquor control board with the right to be more restrictive than Federal regulations, if they so choose.

We're still behind the times here in PA. Can't even get a decent pastis let alone absinthe. Luckily I live in southern PA and a quick trip across the MD line and I can get Lucid & Kübler. Me & Heartburn just made a run today actually. It's $59.00 for Lucid and I think $54.70 for Kübler, but I can't remember.

The LCB in this state sucks. I've had a few conversations with them and it always turns out that I know more than the person I'm talking to. They're usually like... "Isn't that stuff illegal?" Then when you go to a liquor store they're like... "Yeah, we have that."... and then walk over and point out the Absente & Pernod pastis.

Oh well, I'm just thankful that we get cable TV and high speed internet here I guess.

Yes PA sucks big time. I stopped in at a state store and they had shown me an email stating that Lucid and Kübler would be available but only through online sales. And I bet when it is finally available we'll be able to get it cheaper from Drinkup NY.

There was an article in the Baltimore Sun recently. Apparently it is making it's tasting rounds in this vicinity. I'm looking forward to being able to have a dose in a club around here sometime.

Just went down to Canal's Discount Liquors and bought a Belle Amie 2005 and Jade PF 1901.

Can't wait to try them.

Just wanted to see what it felt like, typing that.

Thanks for clearing that up. My jaw dropped to the floor when I read that top line. Whew!

Shitbird! ;)

No offense intended. :cheers:

Yeah, Hardtime.

For a couple of seconds there, that line from Simon and Garfunkel's Wednesday Morning 3 a.m. "I held up and robbed a hard liquor store" was echoing in my head.

I'm better now, though. :cheers:

Yes PA sucks big time. I stopped in at a state store and they had shown me an email stating that Lucid and Kübler would be available but only through online sales. And I bet when it is finally available we'll be able to get it cheaper from Drinkup NY.

Yes, I've been told the same thing, that when it is available it will only be so through online sales. This was at a Wine & Spirits in East York. I don't feel very optimistic about the future of absinthe in PA. Like I said, at least I'm close to the MD line. You're not too far either luckily. You're just a hop, skip and a jump away from me actually.

The Kübler is $59.70 actually, just realized that today. The Lucid is $59.00. I got my first good look at the Green Moon too. I was pleased to see that it said "Anise flavored vodka", and didn't pretend to be something it wasn't. At least they're marketing it honestly.

In South Jersey I have seen Lucid often and Absente just as often, but have not seen Kübler.

...in stark contrast with my spotting Kümlaut Kübler at a corner 7-11 in my neck of the woods.

Ain't life strange?

Wouldn't it be more appropriate if 7-11 carried Serpis? The display is right next to the Slurpee machine in my fantasy world. ;)

So here just outside of Nashville I have found Kübler and Lucid. I asked on the other forum if and when we would see any Jades and all I got was an "oh boy".

I am really hoping to find some good quality absinthes at the store I frequent because the guy behind the counter is really good and buys the good stuff typically. Hell he even got a $100 bottle of 21 year aged rum for a friend of mine.

So do we know what to expect next? Any inside information? I am glad the the TTB put the 10ppm ban because that will keep a lot of czechsinthe out.

Feel lucky you got an "oh boy", considering the source. They're especially warm and fuzzy over there at FV.

Oh, and believe me, there are plenty of Czech absinths that czech in under the 10ppm rule. And still taste perfectly horrid. And may even have eyes on the Amurickan market.

La Tourniquet is not readily available but that's a good thing because it is not a good thing.

Nice turn of phrase! :euro:

Ha ha,

Thanks Shabba. Actually the only reason I ask about the Jade's in the US is because I have tasted some Czechsinthe a friend had which got me interested in learning more. From there I poured over reviews and my first real Absinthe was the Verte Suisse. I have a bottle of Kübler now and I also have the Edouard but I am really wanting to get the Verte Suisse again and a PF1901 because I hear great reviews of it.

I hate to say it but I get a feeling that some people really dislike Ted Breaux over on the FV forums. I like the attitude over here much better; less looking down ones nose and more appreciation of a great drink.

Edited by eclecticmage

Wouldn't it be more appropriate if 7-11 carried Serpis? The display is right next to the Slurpee machine in my fantasy world. ;)

Slurpis?

I like the attitude over here much better; less looking down ones nose and more appreciation of a great drink.

Yes.