OB1

Mixing ratio?

First I am a newbie. I did search a bit for a question similar, so if I didn't find it I apologize.

Anyway

I have heard people mention "I couldn't find the right water to absinthe ratio". I was under the impression that this was a taste issue not a proper ratio preparation recipe. I figured as long as I got the louche I could mix to my desire. If I want a strong drink less water after the louche, somewhat weaker then more water.

Am I wrong? Should I be looking for the exact ratio to properly enjoy my absinthe?

You are not wrong. You are quite correct. Depending on my mood, the water-to-absinthe ratio might change from glass-to-glass with the very same absinthe in the very same evening. It's all a matter of taste.

You're doing just fine. ;)

I've found that the recommended mix ratio found on some bottles is just that; a recommendation. Personal experimentation will provide you with your preferred mix ratio.

When I started drinking absinthe I often used a 3:1 water to absinthe ratio. Then Peridot recommended 3.5:1 and that became the norm for a long time. Now I'm consistently using 4:1 and am thinking of trying some at 5:1.

But I usually have only one absinthe a night so that could explain it.

I generally go for about 3.38:1, personally, but when I get particular I'll make it 3.375:1

What...doesn't everybody?

:harhar:

Dude...drink what you like, like what you drink, and life is happy.

I read an article somewhere about traditional absinthe glasses that said the purpose of the reservoir at the bottom of the traditional Pontarlier glass is to help measure the "dose" of absinthe, while the flutes help measure the "dilution." I got out my glasses from LdF (I hope they don't mind my hijacking their jpeg, below) and did a little checking with a measuring cup. Here's what I found:

post-1354-1204312023.jpg

If I add absinthe to the lower red arrow, to where the liquid just covers the bottom of the upper portion of the glass, and then add water to the top of the flutes, I get very close to a 3:1 ratio (which is my typical dilution these days). I have another Pontarlier-style glass that I bought from Luc in Paris, that gives me about 3.5:1 if I fill absinthe to the "neck" (the narrowest part) of the reservoir and water to the top of the flutes. So you might want to get out your glasses and do some measuring, see if there are any markings, flutes, logos, etc., to help you.

But this is just to help make it easy to get your dilution right, once you've decided what your own personal taste is. Personally, I like 3:1 these days for most. Lucid and some of the blanches I find better with less water, Vdf (Verte de Fougerolles) and maybe St. George, both of which seem sort of "hot" to me, need a bit more.

À nossa saúde!

Thanks Mayzandas! I sometimes feel like I'm not using my Pontarlier glass to it's full effect, but now I see I was only half filling my reservoir and therefore only reaching about halfway up the flutes.

Now I can drink more and feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of my glass. ;)

:blink: All this discussion of dilution ratios makes me feel like I'm going around in circles. So I guess I'll try a ratio of 3.1415926535897932384626433832795:1 to get aROUND it :twitchsmile:

:blink: All this discussion of dilution ratios makes me feel like I'm going around in circles. So I guess I'll try a ratio of 3.1415926535897932384626433832795:1 to get aROUND it :twitchsmile:
Try it at 1:1.61803399 and you're golden.

"Try it at 1:1.61803399 and you're golden."

Like Panbuh's avatar? I may be Abiff off.

I have no idea what ratio I use, though I fear I probably over water usually. I drink from a large perigord goblet. My measurement technique is as follows... "That looks about right."

I generally go for about 3.38:1, personally, but when I get particular I'll make it 3.375:1

What...doesn't everybody?

:harhar:

Ah! But how accurate are those ratios when you are doing a 30 minute louche? ;)

Remember, alcohol evaporates faster than water! And the evaporation rates will vary with ambient temperature and humidity!

Oh, so many variables! This will require me to drink copious amounts of absinthe...for research purposes, of course! :dribble:

Lucid and Kübler, I've settled at 3:1

Marteau Classique and Duplais, I usually do about 3:5:1

And the Taboo (which just came in the mail today! :yahoo: ) seems to like 4:1

OK, we've talked about absinthe/water ratios. I use the relax and watch the thing louche method. Every and I mean every glass of my absinthe is louched not by numbers but by sight, aroma, taste and the thin alcohol line just above the cloud. Some do very well at the ratios mentioned but I go by moon phase, planet alignment, lighting, activity around me and so forth.

In other words, when I want a silky smooth and creamy mouthfeel I cut back on the water. I like mine a bit on the strong side. One thing I don't care for is an over watered drink that is so thin tasting it's unpleasant.

Taste it as you go. sometimes more water will cut back the bitterness and make the drink sweeter but weak and thin.

Like drinking stale anything.

You'd be amazed the difference a few, two to five, drops of water can make in a drink.

I've been drinking a bit so just ignore this post if it doesn't make sense. :twitchsmile:

What does it mean if it made perfect sense to me?

I always do it by taste. I'll start with maybe 3:1, taste it and add more as required. Sometimes the ratio is affected by nothing more than my mood.

But you see, you started with 3:1 and then went by taste. I reckon my point was, I start where I start and finish where I finish. Louche François Guy at 3:1 and see what happens. Dismiss the gym sox crap.

Let me simplify:

I start with a dose of absinthe, add cold water to my taste.

My taste is just as you said....according to your mood. Your mood is set by your surroundings, day at work, SO's mood (very important), children etc. etc.

It's as simple as desire.

Ya'll have a nice day, ya' hear!

:cheers:

Who am I to tell you how much you water your drink?

peace.

I always do it by taste. I'll start with maybe 3:1, taste it and add more as required.
But you see, you started with 3:1 and then went by taste...

Let me simplify:

My taste is just as you said....according to your mood.

So, you have to call Selmac every time you make a glass of absinthe??

:poke:

:blush: I reckon I could have used My instead of your. Silly drunk Okie.

I try to hide my phone when I drink. I make calls and then have to write apologies the next day. :)

Good to see you again MTGrayling. :cheers:

Incidentally, if you don't have a slide rule handy to work out the ratios when you're mixing your absinthe, you can always just do what I do: prep until fully louched, take a sip, and if it's too strong, add a little more water.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I would really like to see an absinthe that comes with a complimentary slide rule. Marteau, for example? Hiram, you could start a whole new era of absinthe collectibles.

One could simply fabricate a spoon with a sliderule handle... or a digital calculator.

Absinthe, the final frontier.