Sign in to follow this  
Z_for_Zendetta

Thoughts: Liquorice in Absinthe

Purely speculatively, I have been wondering about the possibility of someone adding a small quantity of liquorice root to absinthe during coloration.

I noticed that quite a few of the old absinthe recipes call for liquorice, but I don't think I've ever had a brand that actually includes it.

Has anyone sampled such a concoction? Is it overly sweet? Does it cause one to grow very tall, like a tree, or tiny like a mouse?

I have had absinthe with licorice used in the production. Like any other herb, it was another component but I didn't particularly care for it. There is a commercial absinthe that reminds me of that same flavor but if I mention it, Absomphe will get all huffy with me, again. ;)

:shock: what they have done to the recipe. Star anise, licorice, maybe nettle and basil as well :devil: ?

edited for clarity.

Yes, I know there are some that do use it, but VdF seems not to be an appropriate choice for that inclusion; it contains enough green anise to require sweeteness' enhancers.

There is a commercial absinthe that reminds me of that same flavor but if I mention it, Absomphe will get all huffy with me, again. ;)

:laf: :laf: :laf:

I said it before, and I'll say it again, T.

Rerate the crap, and give it, like, a 3.2, already, onacuz a 4 seems too generous for an unsubtle, watery, unbalanced beverage that reminds you of licorice, fer cryin' out loud! ;)

I have been wondering about the possibility of someone adding a small quantity of liquorice root to absinthe during coloration.

As others have said licorice root can be used in the intial maceration; but it is never used in the coloration.

Fritsch almost gushes about the possitive effect of the use of powdered licorice in absinthe, after distillation and coloration. Thus lies the question of how many distilleries used this technique and just didn't advertise it:

post-49-1204215620_thumb.jpg

an absinthe improverer AND a fining agent in one simple step!

the 'step that shall not be named'...and very hard to test on a small scale before dumping 25 grams into 100 liters and possibly not having it do what you would like it to do...

Fritsch almost gushes about the possitive effect of the use of powdered licorice in absinthe,

But some lines later, he praises antimony which we know now has not that positive effect:

"As we have just seen, licorice powder can replace the fining of absinthe; but it is preferably used concurrently with antimony."

Licorice is still a safer one in that game and adds a nice note, indeed.

:laf: The ultimate pre-ban recreation? Wow! I can get aniline-10 ml shall be enough to boost the louche and vert de Grece for natural colouration; when do we start?

Maybe. I dunno.

Seriously, I don't know if Belle Amie has licorice but there is something in it that reminds me of licorice. I didn't detect that flavor in any of the pre-ban Pernod Fils I've tasted but perhaps in the American Mohawk absinthe. I wouldn't bet more than 25 cents on anything my taste buds tell me because they're not very sensitive. I blame it on all those hot peppers and bottles of hot sauce I've ran over them. Yep, fried my buds. :twitchsmile:

If a lot of people had come back with "yuck, it's too sweet, it overwhelms the other flavors" then I probably would pass, but judging by the responses I think I'm going to give it a try. I like the VdF.

Another herb that I would like to taste (in absinthe) is cardamum. As with liquorice, there's a possibility I already have, without realizing it.

I think the next absinthe I try is going to have cardamum and liquorice in it, and I'll see how it tastes.

there is something in it that reminds me of licorice.

It might be anise :devil: Seriously, Peter should know-he was there so can say whether they have altered the original recipe of ... or not. However, one American, one European and the person who was very close to its birth assured me it is what it should be, so licorice should not be found there as an ingredient. Otherwise I am praying they have not added too much of it :thumbdown: against tradition.

It might be anise :devil:

One problem with that line of thought:

I didn't detect that flavor in any of the pre-ban Pernod Fils

Otherwise, I'd think you were on to something. ;)

Next, you'll be telling me there's no tobacco in my zinfandel. You guys are just crazy. ;) You ol' silly fuddyduddy, I never said there was licorice in it. I said I don't know but...

... there is something in it that reminds me of licorice.

I had an Old Rasputin stout the other evening that sure reminded me of chocolate. :devil:

I had an Old Rasputin stout the other evening that sure reminded me of chocolate. :devil:

Was it the 200 pounds of Michel Cluizel Noir Infini that North Coast throws into every barrel that gave it away? ;)

Fritsch and De Brevans both use it in the "coloring" for Absinthe Ordinaire.

That's because the characteristically sweet and active (hypertensive) compound in licorice, glycyrrhizine, is transported hardly at all (or not at all) during distillation. So distillation is not a suitable method to obtain a licorice extract.