fredfry

Should I age my Absinthe?

Excuse me while I ask some dumb questions. :unsure: I am completely ignorant on the subject of aging Absinthe and could use some help. From what I've read some varieties of Absinthe improve over time by aging, while some others do not. How do I choose the correct type that would benefit from aging? Is choosing the brand to age completely subjective? Next, after I have chosen a particular brand to age, how is it done? Do I simply remove the cork and place the bottle somewhere safe? For example in a corner out of sunlight. Someplace where it wont get knocked over, or is there a more specific process that is used for aging? Finally if aging Absinthe is done by letting the bottle breathe open, does the level of original alcohol begin to decrease, evaporate over time? During breathing does dust enter the open bottle (I told you I was dumb)? What other changes are there to be expected from aging both positive and negative?

First, don't age it opened. You'll end up with an empty bottle in very little time.

Second, I recommend doing a quick search. There's 5 or 10 threads about this, all with pretty darned good info.

Short story:

1. Open the bottle and prepare a drink.

2. Cap/cork said bottle.

3. Wait a week or two and repeat step 1 and 2.

4. Repeat step 3.

5. Repeat step 4.

I love how the profile changes over time. Neat stuff this absinthe.

Interesting so just by the process of slowly drinking the bottle I am in essence aging the contents. So by default all Absinthe ages after opening, some for better and some for worse? I have read a number of times how in particular how Lucid sometimes improves with aging, and I'm using Lucid as an example because there is so much back and forth about Lucid and it's supposed fishiness. As with most other brands they seem to improve.

And by the way Thanks Shabba (also)

If you really want to age absinthe, there are three methods that I find works best for me.

1) Bury your bottles. This works best if you hire a golden retriever to do the actual burying for you, so that you won't know the exact location.

2) Hire a large man, preferably with monastic training--that's the only way you can guarantee he will have enough discipline to keep his own hands off of it.

3) Give the bottles to someone you don't live with and tell them not to let you have it.

I'll qualify Martin's second suggestion by adding that you'd better make sure the large man's monastic training didn't take place in Belgium.

Martin recommends very good methods. However...

Simply open the bottle, have a couple drinks, put the cork back in it. Put it away in a relatively cool place, upright, out of the light. If the bottle is clear, recycle a sturdy brown paper bag to make a sleeve around the bottle to further protect it from light.

By simply having a drink from it every week you'll end up with an empty bottle. ;)

Either that, or a hundred years from now when scavengers rummage through the remains of your abode and find the cache, they’ll come to the conclusion that you were a rich Absinthe mogul. Or an alcoholic. Or both. Cheers :cheers:

Do I open the bottle, not open the bottle or it doesn't make a difference? I've heard rumors unlike other liquors that Absinthe can continue to age, meaning improve/change in the bottle with out opening it, true? :g:

If someone put a fire under your butt, vaporized you and then condensed and collected that vapor, you'd want to take some time to chill-out and try to gather your wits back to a state of refined, relaxed and yet heightened awareness in keeping with the goals of that process, no?

If someone put a fire under your butt, vaporized you and then condensed and collected that vapor, you'd want to take some time to chill-out and try to gather your wits back to a state of refined, relaxed and yet heightened awareness in keeping with the goals of that process, no?

My wife will tell you that if that happened at least then I would be good for something. :dribble:

Lazy ass absinthe. Probably sat around so long it got dusty. Never a problem in my house. My latest tactic is to simply have more on hand than I can possibly consume. It's a war of attrition with no clear end in sight.

I've never understood exactly why some absinthes don't age well, but have seen it happen. I just assume that it was not that good to begin with.

fredfry, this was discussed ad nauseum at FV. I just gave you a perfectly good answer, elfn gave you a perfectly good answer, T73 gave you a perfectly good answer.

If you have enough bottles you can try each one a different way.

That's one of those questions that gets asked and (hopefully) answered again and again. It's no skin off my ample nose to discuss it and I think we can re-visit those things from time-to-time. If you're new to the Forum, it's nice to be able to ask a simple question without having to sift through all the threads. As WS continues to grow, that backlog of information only becomes more daunting.

Besides, I hadn't heard about wrapping a brown paper bag around my absinthe, Dakini. Of course, I'd look even more like a disgruntled wino. ;)

The things people ask repeatedly should be on the main part of the board, reachable by a search if possible.

It just makes life easier for everyone.

And not everyone visits the forums, so even those folks should be able to benefit from the accumulated knowledge.

Just a thought.

The things people ask repeatedly should be on the main part of the board, reachable by a search if possible.

Rule number 1 in the newcomer section.

1. Read the Absinthe FAQ (link at top of every page) before posting and especially before asking questions. If you don't, you'll most likely ruffle some feathers by asking very frequently asked (and answered) basic questions. This is extremely annoying. It's fine if you need to ask for elaboration or directions to references. Just don't come in here asking which brand has the most thujone. If you feel the need to challenge the established "conventional wisdom" or to seek validation of it, do so in a respectful manner.

If you have a question not covered in the FAQ, use the search function on both the main site and the forums. Chances are, your question has been covered somewhere. Be creative with your search terms. A list of other common questions which have been discussed is appended below. These will be added to the FAQ eventually.

If you have a question not covered in the FAQ, use the search function [/b] on both the main site and the forums. Chances are, your question has been covered somewhere. Be creative with your search terms. A list of other common questions which have been discussed is appended below. These will be added to the FAQ eventually.

I have a question that's not in the FACK or elsewhere in the forum. What are those expensive looking books behind your glass of absinthe???

B)

Now you guys got the ticket. More time for drinking! Less time for me to shoot off my mouth with this trigger happy keyboard I have.

I just noticed fredfry said he had some dumb questions. He got to ask one before I tried to snap off his head. So, please ask your other questions fredfry. I promise to be nice.