Lemoncello

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Andress

Rick Andress

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

I am currently making my 5th batch of lemoncello. I just love the stuff. I generally put 2 shots lemoncello to 1 shot Svedka Vodka and top off the 12oz. glass with ice and Italian Lemon Soda or 7-up. It is refreshing and crisp.
I hope I can someday attend an event and bring some to you all.

I just zested 20 lemons so now I will go add the everclear and vodka.

Be well all. :biggrin:

Edited by Hardtime, 24 February 2008 - 12:31 PM.

"Oh wad a gif the gif he gie us to see ourselves as others see us" -Robert Burns

#2 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

I make limoncello quite frequently. It's good stuff.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#3 biznacho

biznacho

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:03 PM

I tried to make some a couple months ago, it turned out nasty. Way too bitter. I think I zested off too much pith. Next time I try will be when lemons are in season and cheaper.

#4 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:49 PM

When I first tried to make lemoncello the same thing happened. It was very bitter. I added a little more simple syrup, bottled it and let it sit. After a few months, I tried it and it had really changed. Very drinkable!

I recently made orangecello. I tried it as I was bottling, but have not had any since. It had lots of orange aroma and flavor at that time. I'll let it sit a coupl more weeks and try it.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#5 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Make sure you just get and use the zest (only the very outer colored part of the skin) and not the entire rind, which includes the pith (the white, bitter part). Use a zester, which will help make sure you don't go too deep.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He to whom this feeling is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed. -AE

#6 biznacho

biznacho

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

I did use a zester, but it was my first try with it so I may have screwed up. It's still sitting in the garage fridge. Maybe it's gotten better with age. Maybe.

#7 metodd1

metodd1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

You can still go too deep using a zester. You must have gotten some of the pith, or it would not be bitter. I've never made a bitter batch and I make sure not to use any pith.

#8 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

The batch of mine that turned bitter didn't have much pith in it. I didn't have a zester and tried to use a peeler without going too deep. At that time, I didn't realize how much it would affect the taste.
Since then, I have used a zester and haven't had any problems.

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#9 Jetzster

Jetzster

Advanced Member Äbsintheuris~Practicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:48 PM

B) Saw a bottle of Danny Devito's Brand Lemoncello at BevMo,anyone tried this?I didnt know he has his own brand..Probably gets it going on those benders with Clooney :laugh:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.."-Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948)
. ......".Barkeeper!...Marteau!!...and fresh horses for my men!...."

#10 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,187 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:53 PM

The stuff sounds delightful on warm day sitting in the shade. :)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#11 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,274 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

I'm a limoncellist too.

A peeler is going to pick up way too much pith—any pith is too much. You'll never regret picking up one of these.

Hardtime: why do you use Everclear and vodka? They're the same thing; vodka is just grain neutral spirits that's been watered down.

Try macerating your zest in Everclear. While that's soaking, take two cups of sugar and one and a half cups of water and gently heat on the stove until all the sugar is dissolved. Let it cool and bottle it (an empty Everclear bottle is good). After a week or so, strain the macerate and mix 1 to 1 with the simple syrup.

The adventurous should try using limoncello to sweeten their absinthe some time. With some absinthes it works really well, with others, not so much.

Maker of Marteau Absinthe and Foxtrot London Dry Gin
Distiller, Stone & Szilard Distilling Co.
www.absinthemarteau.com

#12 Rick Andress

Rick Andress

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:38 AM

I'm a limoncellist too.

A peeler is going to pick up way too much pith—any pith is too much. You'll never regret picking up one of these.

I actually found a peeler that works for me. It takes no pith and allows me larger pieces of the rind. It's a real pain using coffee filters to get out all my microplaned rind.

Hardtime: why do you use Everclear and vodka? They're the same thing; vodka is just grain neutral spirits that's been watered down.

It seems that when the maceration and simple syrup are finally mixed (mine is 4 cups sugar and 5 cups water) the alcohol content is perfect. It's a bit strong for some but perfect for us. :)

Try macerating your zest in Everclear. While that's soaking, take two cups of sugar and one and a half cups of water and gently heat on the stove until all the sugar is dissolved. Let it cool and bottle it (an empty Everclear bottle is good). After a week or so, strain the macerate and mix 1 to 1 with the simple syrup.

My zest or rind sit in the alcohol for 40 days before the syrup is added. I check the rind periodically after 35 days. When ready for finishing the rind will almost be crisp like a potato chip.

The adventurous should try using limoncello to sweeten their absinthe some time. With some absinthes it works really well, with others, not so much.

I will have to try this. I also mix it with homemade iced tea...I call it "ICEPICK"
Be well all

edited for spelling(as always)

Edited by Hardtime, 25 February 2008 - 02:46 AM.

"Oh wad a gif the gif he gie us to see ourselves as others see us" -Robert Burns

#13 Rick Andress

Rick Andress

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Today is day 26...it is halfway there.....drool :dribble:

Edited by Hardtime, 17 March 2008 - 03:06 PM.

#14 Entropy

Entropy

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

I like the little limoncello lemonade drinks they have at olive garden. Couldn't force me to eat their garlic laden food, but I will go for a limoncello and a piece of lemon cake any day of the week. Never once thought about making it. Sounds like a fun project.
Do nothing and leave nothing undone.

myspace

other myspace

livejournal

#15 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

It's fun an relatively easy. The batch I did this summer came out a little too bitter, so I haven't quite gotten it down.

There's a variation I'm going to try any day now when I sit down and make the time. :cheers:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#16 Entropy

Entropy

• Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:18 PM

It's fun an relatively easy. The batch I did this summer came out a little too bitter, so I haven't quite gotten it down.

There's a variation I'm going to try any day now when I sit down and make the time. :cheers:

I'll remember that the next time I'm in Albuquerque. I broke down there once on a trip from Arizona to Mississippi. A nice bit of home brew would have really helped the situation.
Do nothing and leave nothing undone.

myspace

other myspace

livejournal

#17 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

There's plenty of that batch I'm not drinking.

However, there are better things to drink while meeting other forum members here. ;)

#18 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

I've looked at several recipes for lemoncello. I've made some and it tasted ok to me but everyone has their own idea of what it needs or has too much of.

I've done lemon-limecello and orangecello as well. I haven't touched them in a month or so except to give as gifts to friends.

Limes are tough to zest because the zest is so very thin. I'm no expert or anything but I did enjoy putting the things together and sharing. I need to send some northwest sometime soon. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#19 Julie Legate

Julie Legate

0 jobs. 2 cents

• Advisory Board
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

Bill creates wonderful cellos! The lemon made its way to Doc Jaz's house. The Lemon-Lime and Orange reside at the Ridge. All are delicious.
Thank you so much for sharing! :heart:
I am the wood nymph.

#20 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:57 AM

Hmmmm, lemon, lime and orange.....they all sound healthy. I reckon after a few nobody gets hurt.

Enjoy them and thanks. :blush:

#21 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

How many lemons should I zest for one bottle of Everclear?

I'm sure it's some manner of sacrilege but I may try to make a batch of this using a sugar substitute.

#22 StevePrime

StevePrime

• PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

A friend of mine and limoncello lover was pondering an Absinthe+Limoncello (+sparkling water) concoction. Anyone try mixing the two?
"flaming absinthe cocktail was probably the classiest thing I've ever had."
-Overheard on Twitter

Twitter: StevePrime
Facebook: StevePrime

#23 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

I use about 12 to 15.

#24 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

I use about 12 to 15.

Do you use vodka or everclear?
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#25 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

I use 190 proof Everclear.

Zest the lemons (no white pith)
Put the zest in a wide mouth jar capable of holding booze and zest.
Put a lid on it and set aside for as long as you can stand it. I can't take the wait so I do mine in about two weeks.
Here's the fun part, make simple syrup. I think I use six cups water and six cups of sugar. Let it cool.
I put a screen in a funnel and strain the booze/zest into a gallon jug.
After the zest is finished dripping, remove them from the funnel and pour the simple syrup into the jug.

2 1/2 liters of sweet lemony goodness.

Keep the stuff in the freezer. Best served and sipped cold. It's a sneaky drink be careful.

This may be contrary to other recipes but it seemed to work for me.

After all, it's your booze!

:cheers:

Edited for safety. I changed the simple syrup ratio.

#26 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:03 PM

#27 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,730 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

A friend of mine and limoncello lover was pondering an Absinthe+Limoncello (+sparkling water) concoction. Anyone try mixing the two?

Bamn!

#28 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

I'm sure it's some manner of sacrilege but I may try to make a batch of this using a sugar substitute.

If you do, advise how it turned out...

#29 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

I use 190 proof Everclear.

Zest the lemons (no white pith)
Put the zest in a wide mouth jar capable of holding booze and zest.
Put a lid on it and set aside for as long as you can stand it. I can't take the wait so I do mine in about two weeks.
Here's the fun part, make simple syrup. I think I use six cups water and six cups of sugar. Let it cool.
I put a screen in a funnel and strain the booze/zest into a gallon jug.
After the zest is finished dripping, remove them from the funnel and pour the simple syrup into the jug.

2 1/2 liters of sweet lemony goodness.

Keep the stuff in the freezer. Best served and sipped cold. It's a sneaky drink be careful.

This may be contrary to other recipes but it seemed to work for me.

After all, it's your booze!

:cheers:

Edited for safety. I changed the simple syrup ratio.

I followed your and Gwydion's recipes, they are very similar...I used Sorrento lemon from a import friend of mine...I used 18...I zested the lemons...this is the 8th day and the zest are totally white now and the alcohol is a very deep yellow. I have been gently shaking the mix once every day...will keep an update..
:)

#30 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Bill creates wonderful cellos!

Seconded.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association