Sign in to follow this  
Leif Rogers

Recommend Lucid or Kübler?

So, I've gotten myself in a bit of a Tevye situation...

A friend of mine wants to try absinthe and wanted to know which kind they should buy. Essentially, I told them anything from LdF but then the caveat of "I don't want to pay for shipping" popped up--so now we're down to Kübler/Lucid. Then I froze. Which one to recommend? On the one hand, I have more of a love and a constant hankerin' for Kübler but then, on the other hand, Lucid isn't bad either. But on the other hand, Lucid is green and the ol' vertes are usually what folks think of when they think absinthe. But then, on the other hand, Kübler is clear and folks need to get introduced to the blanches at some point, right? Gah!

Of course, Kübler is also cheaper so that's a good mark as well, but then there's the issue of anise and the star anise and the etc.. Which may or may not be to their liking in any of them. Compound this problem with their desire to just jump in and not try samples.

At the moment, I'm leaning on telling them to get Kübler but is there anyone who can help? I just fear that I'll create another person who ends up hating absinthe because of that "mean ol' anise taste".

Heaven only knows why people ask my opinion but they do...

Edit: I know this is a subjective nightmare but any help will be much appreciated!

Yes. What you said. Lucid is green, Kübler is not. Lucid is higher in alcohol. It really is all up to personal preferences. Having both, depends on what mood I'm in, I find them both adequate.

One more thing,

I recognize the foolishness in this question :blush: and if they didn't live more than a couple hours away I'd just force myself on them this weekend.

Sorry everybody!

If they live close enough to you then give them a proper introduction to absinthe by offering them a selection of what you have and bring along the proper paraphernalia to illustrate the preparation ritual, etc. :cheers:

Otherwise, make life simple and just tell them Lucid. Most folks are lemmings and subconciously yearn to be told what to do and what to think. With Lucid being green, you can build on them already knowing about the "green" fairy. If you tell them they'll like Lucid then they probably will. Once they're hooked then they'll not be so reluctant to fork out the shipping costs for stuff from LdF.

One more thing, of Kübler or Lucid, which one do you prefer? I ask because if they buy a bottle and don't like it then you may score that bottle from them for free. Hence, recommend one to them that you know you like.

I recognize the foolishness in this question...
To quote some of my professors from my university days, "the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked."

In other words, if folks didn't ask questions they thought were stupid of foolish then they are merely perpetuating their own ignorance.

I have more of a love and a constant hankerin' for Kübler

Well, I know that I personally would steer a wide path around anything you told me you have a "hankerin'" for. But then, I'm just wary of foxes. An animal from the wild should never be fully trusted, even when they seem tame.

Don't be fooled by the lack of emoticons. studiofox is tame enough to eat from my hand. (I'm just missing some fingers I used to be rather attached to.)

I enjoy Kübler a lot more than Lucid but then again, I've become a lot more fond of Lucid than I ever thought I would have, so it could go either way. But I've given Kübler to people and they end up making the weird faces and saying how much they hate absinthe, so I worry.

I'm just glad I pulled out of my blind absinth ways and got a few more real absinthes under my belt before I was confronted with this, things could have turned out a lot different and vastly more ignorant.

Btw, where can I apply for a trademark on "hankerin'" :cheers:

Having had them both several times now, I'd send them Lucid-way. It's green, has higher abv, and overall hits more of the standard notes expected in an absinthe including cultural expectations. Just tell them, it's an entry-level product, but made traditionally at least.

Hope comments from a newbie are ok if not tell me to shut my trap.

Being new and having purchased both Lucid and Kubler53 I lean more toward Kübler than Lucid but they to me are both good. Mind you I don't have the experience with other brands to comment further.

Your opinion is valuable, too.

I prefer the Kübler, too but Speedle's points are well taken. I think they're both perfectly acceptable entry level absinthes.

I know! Why don't we start a thread where we can debate which is better, Kübler or Lucid? ;)

Seriously though, having said that, as long as the prospective absintheur is made to realize that just as apples and oranges are both fruit, these are different kinds of absinthe. They are both sincerely produced and marketed, and neither is an iffy, slapdash, or "pseudo" anything product. It's most definitely not and either/or situation.

I wasn't trying to make this a one vs. the other, I just worry when it comes to people first trying it as I've seen folks turn up many a nose to absinthe and was wondering if one profile was seen more favourably by newcomers.

As for myself, I ruined me with absinth from the hinterlands so I can't say what would have been a good intro other than not Stromu.

With that said, I'm thinking Lucid is probably the one I'm going to tell them to get only because that does fit the whole "image" so to speak. Although, I may tell them to get both and just take the hit and enjoy both. Go slow, smell, taste, etc.

Sorry for creating a potential either/or situation, that was not my intent at all!

I don't think you created a situation at all. You know how we love to hear ourselves shout. The loudest one in the bar must be right, right? ;)

Go with the Kübler. Looks like we're pretty well divided here. I didn't care for the first batch of Lucid at all but I would like to try it again. Come to think of it, if anyone has a recently purchased bottle they should PM me for a sample trade.

I don't think you created a situation at all. You know how we love to hear ourselves shout. The loudest one in the bar must be right, right? ;)

This has really nothing to do with anything, but I work with someone who simply cannot help but pepper every email sent out with an overdose of "?????" and "?!!!!!" for every sentence. Ah well, what can ya do?

My two pennies: Buy one bottle of each, make one dose of each with your friend, let said friend try both, let said friend decide which bottle to keep and which to let you have. Just a suggestion because that's what I'd do. I've only had Lucid once and Kübler many times, so my opinion on one or the other is no good.

I get annoyed with the whole "but Lucid's green!" thing. So what? The colour doesn't mean a thing after the first sip because its colouring herbs add almost no flavour. If you're going to suggest either Lucid or Kübler to a newbie, then just go with what you think tastes better.

In a more general sense, regarding blanches versus vertes for newbies, I don't believe colour should be important. When I'm letting people try absinthe for the first time I make sure they understand that blanches are just as valid; it's part of getting them to let go of their preconceived notions. It's not like they're going to get the hallucinogenic, fiery experience they expect anyway. And surprise, they almost always like the blanches more because they're a bit easier on newbie palates in terms of intensity. I usually let people try a range of both styles and they usually like almost everything presented to them, but find the blanches more drinkable.

Kübler simply isn't very good. Haven't had any Lucid yet, but it's quite easy to beat Kübler.

And yet Lucid fails.

It's all about perception, really. Green = absinthe! Which, is why the same logic ties in with why folks like Stromu, etc. who dye the living Bejesus (sp?) out of their products so people "know" it's absinthe, for reals.

Fortunately, the more real absinthe comes over here the worry about "isn't all absinthe green?" will become nonexistent because we'll have plenty of blanches and vertes of fine quality (dreaming for now, yes, but one must admit a nice large absinthe section at the local binny's, etc would be a mighty fine site). I imagine people will then learn it at least somewhat like wine--it's a rare day when you hear someone say "wait...wine isn't just red?"

I think I'm going to take your advice Baubel. An all or nothing purchase and then full committal to the bottle is rather ludicrous when there's options and people out there to share with. My flaw here was thinking it was an all or nothing situation and it really isn't. My friends know you won't trip the ballz or any of that other nonsense so I don't fear them being "disappointed" I just way over-thought the whole "what if they don't like the taste" aspect. Ultimately, if they don't like it from that aspect it probably wouldn't have mattered which absinthe was their "all of nothing" starter bottle.

Anywho, thanks everybody!!!!!! (that one's for you speedle, hehe) :cheers:

Well Peridot, I'm sorry you get annoyed with that line of reasoning. I thought my post above was pretty even-handed, and it's been a while since I mentioned my whole "green" preference thing. But, since you brought it up...

As others have mentioned, perceptions and preconceived notions are a big part of this. If a newbie "expects" absinthe to be green, and I'm trying to gently introduce them to the atypical and euro-centric flavor profile that most absinthes have, then I don't want to overload the equation by digging into blanches and why there are blanches, right off the mark.

Later, yes. First off, no.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that doing things the completely opposite way to what I've just described could just as well be the right way to go. I think it probably depends on just how open the person is to new experiences, and how fully they want to immerse themselves into the whole "culture", whether now or later.

Oh, and foxy, thanks for the anywho. :cheers:

If it's not too late I'm going to put my vote in for the Kübler. I know that people are interested in encountering the Fee Verte, but I find that the Lucid (apart from its tacky packaging) has a consistent aftertaste that almost ruins it for me. Of the five absinthes I've tried, the Lucid is the only one I would not buy again. At this point the only thing reason I take it out is to provide a standard for "minimally acceptable".

Having just gone through this whole process myself, and having just finished off the bottle of Kübler B) , I have to say that it's truly 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I beat my head over which to choose, but now I will be placing an order for the Lucid shortly, and after that I will get some PF 1901 and Roquette. I'm fairly certain had I bought the Lucid first, I would have purchased the Kübler next, and the PF and Roquette after that; The key is just having that first drink....

Lucid is drinkable, I had a glass last night. The PF 1901 and the Roquette will spoil you. JMO

We all have different tastes and that makes for conversation. :cheers:

I found Lucid to be much more accessible than Kübler for a newcomer to absinthe, but given the limited options here in terms of access to absinthe in the U.S., I plan on keeping a bottle of both around and continue to try to hone my absinthe palette by switching back and forth between different brands and try to rediscover the subtleties of each.

Holy smokes! I forgot about this thread! Here's the update:

I went ahead and had them try both. Lucid was the winner, but since I'm partial to Kübler--I had no problem taking that off their hands! :devil:

Holy smokes! I forgot about this thread! Here's the update:

I went ahead and had them try both. Lucid was the winner

Told ya! :cheers:

After several bottles of each I retract my statement, Lucid is the better of the two and not because it is verte.

Kübler to my taste is a bit too sweet but I still keep a bottle around and have a glass from time to time. But what do I know. Someday it is my hope we have some of the finer mixes available here so those of us that don't have the size of wallet required can enjoy better quality. It will be interesting to see or should I say taste what the very big difference is. I like wine very much especially from some of the smaller vinyards in the U.S. and I have found that many times a $10.00 bottle is as good if not better than a $50.00 bottle. I am wondering if it will the same with absinthe, after all when you get right down to it is it not just a matter of personal taste. Hey you are talking to a guy who likes to eat hot spiced guacamole on corn chips whilst sipping Lucid oh mercy! Maybe it's because I am old and can't taste all the difference. Anyway please don't throw me off the forum for this post I'm just an old bayou hound.