Wendy

Best Brands for Beginners in the USA

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and to absinthe. I am looking into buying my first bottle of Absinthe and was wondering what brands you would recommend for a first timer. I am in the USA and have found Lucid and Kuger, but should I be looking for something better?

Any and all recommendations you all may have would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Wendy :unsure:

I'd recommend either the Jade PF 1901, or Edouard, if you're looking for the richest tasting traditional absinthes, but if you'd like a couple of less expensive, top quality, and somewhat more idiosyncratic brands, the Doubs Mystique, and The 1797 Absinthe Roquette (both from the Emile Pernot distillery) should fill the bill nicely.

Also, watch for the summer (hopefully) release of the second batch of Belle Amie, also from Pernot.

Welcome!

Now, how about an introduction? :cheers:

Thanks for the suggestions!

As far as the intro, here goes nothing.

:wave2: My name is Wendy (which I am sure is obvious). I am 31 and currently live in Ponchatoula, Louisiana (located about an hour outside of New Orleans). I lived in New Orleans, but thanks to Katrina can no longer reside there. I am brand new to Absinthe and my boyfriend and I are going to be purchasing a bottle soon, so I was trying to find out which are the best for a newbie such as myself. I have been lurking here on this web site and forum for sometime just trying to learn as much as I can before I finally dip my toe into the green rivers of Absinthe.

I can't wait to try it and I am so glad it has become legal again here.

Thanks,

Wendy

:wave2: Howdy and welcome to the best group around. I am new also but have already tried two brands

and I like them both. The first was Lucid which was good and the second was Kublar53 which I think is better than Lucid. The folks here will tell you their favorites but everyones taste is different so I think one must try different brands to find your favorite just be sure to follow the buyers guide here and the product reviews and jump right in but be careful. We used a 3/1 mix with sugar mmmmmmmmm good.

Greetings :cheers:

I am in the USA and have found Lucid and Kuger, but should I be looking for something better?
Unless a liquor store in your area carries St. George and La Fee, you won't find any other absinthes in the USA...yet. Some more brands are working toward approval this year. The brands Absomphe recommends can all be had from Liqueurs de France and a couple of other sources overseas. :euro: However, be prepared to fork out big bucks to have it shipped. :shock:

As for something "better", like ETexas said, that's subjective. You won't find a lack of folks telling you what they like and what they think you should like but the true individualist will possess the wherewithal to figure out what they like on their own.

All of the above options are good. For less expensive (but albeit not the best tasting) go with the Lucid or Kübler, since they are available near you. If you don't mind forking over a bit more, I'd go with the Edouard or 1901 from LdF as well.

By the way, you should meet up with us at the Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans in July! There's going to be a fairly large contingent of WS members there! :cheers:

Shabba,

I am actually planning on going for the Green Hour and Absinthe Ritual presentation that they are having on the 16th. I just got added to the mailing list. Do you happen to know what the ticket prices usually go for?

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions, it is really helping alot! Plus it is giving me names to lookup online while I sit at work being bored to tears. :huh:

Thanks again!

Wendy

Welcome! :cheers:

What they all said about recommendations, except:

Unless a liquor store in your area carries St. George and La Fee

I know they're planning on trying to bring it here, but will someone please point me to where it says that La Fée is available in the US?

I'm sure he meant "La Tourniquet."
Maybe I meant La Fie.
...will someone please point me to where it says that La Fée is available in the US?
Oops, :blush: I must have misunderstood. I guess it was implied rather than expressed given the Epicurious blog tasting review.
Numero Quattro in the Epicurious Taste Test:

Absinthe Taste Test Part 4: La Fee Parisienne

Who are this "they" of which you speak?

La Fee.

At the TotC, Simon was prancing his way around the hotel bragging about it and talking about it being legal and available in the states. They had the penthouse suite across from the pool at the Monteleone converted into their own mini tradeshow room where they were advertising their entire line, flaming samples for everyone.

Who are this "they" of which you speak?

You know..."they". Like "you know they say that eating too much oregano will make you get warts" or "they say that strategically placed magnets will draw the badness out of your feet roots". :poke:

Seriously, I have no idea what I'm talking about. But I've seen the "La Fee is in the house!" things too and have been left scratching my head as to whether or not they were and are and etc and the nearest I could ever figure out was that if they said so long enough...they were?

Wendy,

The ticket prices will get to you if you're on their email list. It seems they went on sale in March or April last year. I don't remember but I know we had plenty of time. As for the prices, they are different for each event. I think $35 was about the starting point.

I just hope we have another farewell dinner like last year. Now that was one of my favorite parts of the trip. We had a superb trip and have talked about going this year before we left NOLA last year!

Besides all that, you're from around there and you could show us some stuff. Sounds groovy to me!

:cheers:

nearest I could ever figure out was that if they said so long enough...they were?

They're just trying to build up hype through marketing. I don't know why the Internet absinthe sites/companies would want to sell their products direct in the US. They're probably making a fortune on the shipping charges alone.

But as of today, the Public COLA registry at TTB does not list a "La Fee" for anything. Even "fee" only finds coffee liqueurs and the like.

I don't know why the Internet absinthe sites/companies would want to sell their products direct in the US. They're probably making a fortune on the shipping charges alone.

I can think of one reason: the burgeoning "legit" absinthe market in the States. Even LDF will lose its customers here in time, as the number of quality absinthes being sold domestically grows (unless they get in on the action, that is).

For now, with only Lucid and Kübler available on shelves here, people will spring for the top-shelf items available only from Europe. But when we have a selection of high quality products here, that willingness to pay the shipping charges will start to disappear.

I speak here to general issues, not to the matter of La Fee in particular.

Hi Marlow, I'd agree. Right now the incentive isn't there yet, but eventually yes. One must consider too that most of the European manufacturers are quite small. And to bring a limited production spirit to the US is a very expensive operation. Especially if you want to reach more than a couple markets, like New York and LA.