Sign in to follow this  
Retrogarde

Corpse Reviver No. 2

I'd say there are much worse things in life to be than a zombie, but that's because I met my wife dressed as one. Exhibit A; our first date:

post-1809-1203572140_thumb.jpg

(Glad the gift got there in one piece!)

Yup! I got 'em from my wife's aunt as a congratulations-on-the-birth-of-your-son gift. Here in America it is customary to give Living Dead toys on such occasions. Don't you have that tradition Down Under?

That flippin' rocks. Thanks for the link! Our little man has a onesie with a drawing on it of :censor1: our preferred Presidential candidate. Of course he's such a drooler all anyone ever sees is his damn bib!

I love doing zombie make-up! When I taught stage make-up, the kids got the biggest kick from zombie day. The "Zombie Rot Tooth Decay Polish" even tasted of mint.

The pic is two cheerleaders who were some of my class favorites.

post-736-1216934485.jpg

Nymphadora:

totally rule!

Hectma: Wow! I should send them our picture for their testimonial page!

Chrisemt74: it is my heartfelt desire that I will one day have the chance to meet George Romero in person, tell him how much his films have meant to me, and then devour his brains.

Retro, I support you in your goal. I bet his brains are tasty! What did you think of his two newest movies? I thought Bruce Campbell should have had a role in them....

Land of the Dead was not everything I hoped it would be. Big Daddy was a poor substitute for Bub, the Dead Reckoning effectively neutered the zombie threat, and the war on terror allegory was rather ham fisted.

Romero seems to have had similar misgivings. He said in an interview that it ended up like a Mad Max film (which is the direction those Resident Evil films have gone as well). I haven't had a chance to see Diary yet, but it looks like it's back on track as far as focusing on the human interaction more and incorporating a solid social satire.

What did you think of them?

Well, for me, Land of The Dead was a disapointment. Poor dialogue, so so acting. I think the polititcal statement was overdone. I went in looking for a classic horror movie, instead I got a public service announcement on diversity. (Which I am all for, and think is extremely important, don't get me wrong.)

To be fair, I did not see Diary yet. Though I did read the screen play. I was disapointed it did not get a cinematic release. I am writing a zombie flick myself. (From more of an Ambulance crew perspective.)

Anywho...I reccomend the novel "World War Z" very well written, and the film is currently in development.

Cheers

WWZ name drops MY Portland, so it's all good. Did you know that's Mel Brooks' son?

Anyway, I wish Romero got a cut every time someone made a zombie film using his rules. He didn't invent zombies, but by freeing them from their voodoo trappings he made the living dead the single most versatile metaphor in horror canon.

I saw both Diary of the Dead and Land of the Dead. I liked a few bits of Diary, but was mainly disappointed with both.

WORLD WAR Z ROCKS!!!!!

I've read that book twelve times already and also lay claim to his Zombie Survival Guide.

I've read the book about six times. I can't wait for the movie. Without Romero we would probably have more of Bruce Campbell running around with a chain saw for an arm. (Not that it's a bad thing....)

I don't know, until Sam Raimi stops treating Bruce Campbell as his butt monkey I don't think we'll ever have the pleasure of seeing Ash on screen again. And by butt monkey I mean casting him in bit parts that he cut out anyway (Quick and Dead), giving him less than thirty seconds of screen time (Darkman), and casting him in a cute cameo in one film (Spiderman), then using that as the excuse for not casting him as the badguy in any of the sequels! I guess we have to wait six years for Del Toro to finish the Hobbit so we can see Bruce as Lobster Johnson in Hellboy III...

Bummer, no Absinthe in Corpse Reviver Cocktail according to the 1941 edition of Old Mr Boston's Bartender's guide.

On the other hand I really liked the campy "xxx of the Living Dead" from the 60s when we used to be able to go to the $1 a carload flicks.

You an actually get 13 people in a 1956 Cheve Belaire, although you have to pull several out of the trunk to let them watch the movie.

I miss drive in movies. There are a few around but I reckon it just ain't the same. Dusk to dawn was the way to go. $1 per car sounds cheap and it was but we were teens. That has been quite awhile ago and lots of cheap wine and coors.

:cheers:

I liked the old sci-fi stuff, although the XXX of the living dead came close.

Mathilda May in Life Force was hot!

Day of the Trepids was way cool in the day. Dumb, but fun.

"The Thing" 1982 Kirk Russel - just plain fun.

"Blade Runner" 1982 Harrison Ford,... A real thought provoker in light of genetic engineering as we now it today.

We still have a drive-in theatre here. It is $5 a carload for two movies. The beginning movie is usually something for the kids. The sequel is for adults, but nothing that a kid wouldn't be allowed to see. People bring their chairs and grills.

By the way: haven't met Raimi, but I've met Tom Savini. He is a staple in the zombie movie circuit from make-up to acting. George Romero was scheduled to appear at one of the Dragon Cons I attended, but he pulled out at the last minute. (sigh)

In the summer here (which is March through November), the Alamo Drafthouse does free outdoor movies every Monday. It's the closest thing to a drive-in around here, plus they have lots of beer.

Bummer, no Absinthe in Corpse Reviver Cocktail according to the 1941 edition of Old Mr Boston's Bartender's guide.

I took the title from the drink as listed in Imbibe magazine... I have no control over how others make it! :wave2:

Ahh, drive ins. The last time I was at one was right about the time lazer pointers became readily available in gas stations and convenience stores. It seemed like every piece of human garbage that showed up at the movie felt the need to point out where each actresses nipples were. For the whole film.