Sign in to follow this  
Fata Morgana

dried Wormwood

I don't have any practical advice, though it's used to flavor homebrew beers/wines and in some recipes. But useless ideas, I can provide.

If it's reasonably fresh, it should smell great (at least in my opinion, a sweet minty floral/herbal sort of thing). Stick some in a little cloth bag to let people smell if you're introducing anyone to absinthe.

Also, taste it. 4 or 5 flakes should be enough. It's called one of the world's bitterest herbs and boy howdy is it.

The difference between good wormwood and bad is astonishing. I was at our local hippie store and found some. It smelled like old tea. The aroma was so unlike any wormwood I'd ever smelled that I had to sneak a taste to be sure of what it was.

I keep several varieties of absinthe herbs handy. It helps isolate the flavors when hosting absinthe tastings (but keep in mind, raw herbs taste very different from distilled herbs). If you have nice fresh wormwood, I think the aroma is heavenly. Eventually, everyone has to taste a little of the wormwood which is very funny in a bitter, bitter sort of way.

I've got a fragrant bag of wormwood here. I'll use it for something, I'm sure. I scared my mah pretty good one night when I handed to my dad. I have know idea why though, it doesn't look like anything suspicious/illegal to me. :twitchsmile:

baubel: classic

Morgana: If you haven't bought the stuff from the hippie store yet, and you intend to, check to see if your area has a winemaking or homebrew store. They'll (usually) have fresher/better herbs.

baubel: back in the long-long ago, my mother came across a baggie of Skullcap I'd bought from a local store after reading up on Native American medicines. It was clearly labeled. She still had a moment of panic and called me at college. It didn't help that I didn't really remember buying the stuff. The tea is in fact relaxing, but not exactly appealing.

Hurray for mums!

-A

Seconded.

The momentary paralysis Mah had was great. I told her it was just wormwood (but in a tone similar to T's- ;) ), and opened the fragrant little baggie of herbage for many to enjoy, including a curious cat. The obvious punchline being, "No Mah, I don't grow my own but instead have it shipped, garden direct." :cheers:

Using it for goose stuffing might be great if I could ever find goose for sale in my neck of the woods.

I don't know about Poland, but in this country it's just not a staple commodity at the local supermarket.

Most of the C&S AA I've seen is usefull to keep the squirrels out of the flower beds and not much more. Even when bought through homebrew supply stores I've never seen good quality AA.

I don't know about Poland, but in this country it's just not a staple commodity at the local supermarket.

And here it is, either. Getting a decent goose, or turkey, or something in that vein is not an easy task.

A frozen goose can be had at a moments notice on any given day here. I do not think I would ever stuff one with A.a. though. Call me a traditionalist but sage is just fine and dandy for me.

What a coincidence. I was just up in the local Home Brew shop yesterday too and noticed they had little pouches of dried A.A., Star anise, Juniper, ect... The Star anise looked half decent but the A.A. looked dreadful. I guess it would suffice for use in tea or home brewed beer. Heartburn and I are experimenting with a Nut Brown Ale. We brewed it last night. I see he is peddling his wares again too. He told me he has a nice shirt, right off his back. PM him for details.

:groupwave reversed: :groupwave reversed: :groupwave reversed:

I do have a top quality halo 3 sweatshirt for sale.. All ready broken in ...PM me for details. Oh, and if you need some good boxers or socks i have them too.

:groupwave reversed: :groupwave reversed: :groupwave reversed:

baubel, um, you don't really want to leave a straight line like that laying around. I mean, just when I thought you were getting your love life together again.

Heartburn and I are experimenting with a Nut Brown Ale. We brewed it last night. I see he is peddling his wares again too. He told me he has a nice shirt, right off his back. PM him for details.

I'm doing an oatmeal stout and a nut brown for my wedding in May. No A.a. at all to be found at the brew store...but I now have 50 pounds of grain in my living room until my brew buddy gets over his current case of "ick"

Hopefully this weekend...the grain's already milled. I have no shirts to give, though.