Z_for_Zendetta

Your ten worst commercial absinthes

There is some great competition in the US and I wouldn't dare think I was going to dethrone any of those artists.

Oh, I don't know...

I think Lance may just be in a heap o' trouble. :tongue:

Unless you plan on using any of Boggy's recipes, that is. :cool-reaper: :cheers:

... Do watery French absinthes like Un Emile or François Guy even come close to making the list?
It's been years since I had bottles of any of the Un Emiles, but I'd have to strongly disagree on François Guy being on a watery list... I've had multiple ages of the stuff and it's lovely (in my opinion, of course).

Unpleasant for my palate:

La Fée Boho (was a free mini - free was fair)

Gothica (although it has a most intriguing louched colour and odd, flowery scent)

Reality (gimmicky twig in the bottle I sampled looked really swampy)

There are others, but those three stand out at the moment.

(edited to fix a typo...)

Thanks Zman. Yuck. They said it was green! :twitchsmile:

The next one after it was Lance Winters. He may be out there as far as his ingredients but I liked his attitude. No matter what I think of his product. JMHO.

I know, I derailed the thread. Sorry.

I think of it as cleansing the mental palate. :twitchsmile:

I'm sure that was Jean Lanfray's intent...the poor sap was just misunderstood.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Nice presentation, Lance!

well, the worst would be hills and taboo

deva was pretty bad

aside from the usual, i think Kübler is way overrated

I've made it a point to do my research and not waste money on poorly rated absinthes

well, the worst would be hills and taboo

Do you mean Taboo or Tabu? I know Tabu is terrible but I've heard good things about Taboo.

The three worst absinthes I have tried are:

1. Grande Absente- an absolute mess

2. Pernod- scent and taste reminds me much of Absente.

3. Bainsfathers Bitter Absinth- Nothing much here, to me tastes very light, a slow drip from a fountain really helps this one, has a semi-louche actually but not much flavor at all.

So far I've only had a glass of Taboo (regular, not Gold). It has a light verte taste with the "juicy fruit" tone everyone talks about, followed by an interesting finish that reminds me a little of the intense salt-brine one gets from Roquefort cheese.

It sounds weird, but I thought it was actually pretty good. I'd have no problem drinking often if I was in Canada, but I can see how it might not be for everyone.

I don't think I have an extensive enough tasting resume to lay out ten worst... but I have had some stinkers.

* Deva

* Mata Hari

* Mari Mayans

* Pernod

* Absente (though technically a pastis, sure)

The Un Emiles... I dunno. From today's vantage, they're pretty bad, but I remember when they were the best CO there was, and folks happily shelled out cash to ship them over from LdF. I guess I'm reticent to put them on the worst list because I drank so much of them for so long. Also: while not good, they're certainly not in the company of the truly bad labels out there.

1.Absinthe Caselli :puke: I wouldn't offer it to my worst enemy, Artificial blue color and horrible straight from Hell taste. If ever there was a rotgut "Absinthe" this might be it! Makes you want to shoot the bottle! :devil:

2.Kübler-Not offensive just found it very watery and lackluster, I mean it had no refined taste.

3. La Fee Parissienne- Bucketloads of Star Anise to make a blackliquorice flavor, not horrible but just not an authentic absinthe because of the artificial color and one sided characteristic, has potential as a mixer yet is marketed as a traditional absinthe, gotta give credit for cool labels and marketing.

That's about it luckily I have never drank LTV, Hills,Van Gogh, King of Spirits, Et Cetera, I have been very lucky about absinthe and have learned fast from my unfortunate experinces with crapsinthe and lackluster products.

Edited by Cajun Magic

Exactly how important is it to use only organic absinthe leaves .... :huh: :huh: ?

La Muse Verte Absinthe

90 PTS ULTIMATE SPIRITS CHALLENGE 2010. It's one of the rare absinthe on the market with ahistorical alcohol content of 68%. It's the only absinthe made with totally fresh cut organic absinthe leaves.

What is odd about La Muse Verte is that they use fresh cut leaves.

Probably one reason that this absinthe does not taste very good.

Traditionally,the herbs are dried first. In the traditional absinthe producing of France and Switzerland, you can see barns and sheds made for that purpose, and many are being used for that purpose today.

Dry the wormwood. All the cool kids do it B) http://www.ridgedistillery.com/what.htm