Z_for_Zendetta

Your ten worst commercial absinthes

Back in 2004, when it first struck my fancy to try absinthe, I almost bought a bottle of King of Spirits GOLD for $200. Websites like this one saved me from the Czechs and their blatant whitesploitation. I ended up getting the Verte de Fougerolles instead.

So to make a long story short, I just *barely* missed the exciting period when most absinthes that people drank were neon green and had bits of Vincent Van Gogh's ear floating in them.

What are the ten WORST brands that people on this forum have tried? I'm seriously curious - what is worse out there, the King of Spirits, Hill's or Staroplzenecky? Do watery French absinthes like Un Emile or François Guy even come close to making the list?

:cheers:

:puke:

Edited by Z_for_Zendetta

I thought he said "absinthe". ;) I don't consider that czech stuff as legit absinthe - but that's another thread.

I think Un Emile and Guy are ok, but still worlds apart from anything like KOS Gold.

It's a tough call with the faux absinthes. Anything sold as absinthe but which doesn't taste anything like it is a bad absinthe, y'know? Even daisies, as pretty as they are, make really horrible roses. That said, IMHO,

Elixier

Staroplzenecky

KOSG

KOS

Mata Hari

Van Gogh

Hill's

Of these, the Hill's and Van Gogh are at least drinkable, just nothing at all like absinthe.

Jades (NO and PF), Blanchette and Verte Suisse to some extent show some promise

UE68

UE45

François Guy

Segarra 68

Mari Mayans

Duplais Balance

Kübler

Two more...

Stromu (regular) and Hill's if considered "absinthe".

If not:

anything Tunel or Diablo

I've been horribly lucky. I came within an inch of buying Fruko Schulz as my first bottle, luckily (or unluckily, however you want to look at it) I at least bought a bottle of La Fee. Though not a "good" Absinthe, it's still fortunate that I picked it over Schulz...

That being said, I've never had an Absinthe I just didn't like, but my least favorites are:

Lucid (the aroma is just bizarre to me...I can't really say why)

Montmartre (I have to be in the mood)

and of course La Fee

I've thought about buying some small bottles of "Absinth" from Alandia just to educate myself, but I haven't found a time yet where I've had money to throw away...

Elixier

Staroplzenecky

KOSG

KOS

Mata Hari

Van Gogh

Hill's

To this execrable list, I can add Krut's Karport, Perrigan, and Segara 68, which might have been decent if not for "Dr.O's Blunder", which made it wretched.

I was going to include Logan Fils, but in retrospect, it just wasn't quite awful enough.

Iconoclasm: it's what's cool at the moment. Everybody wants to be cool, Shabba. Don't you wish you were cool? I sure wish I was cool and the cool kids kids liked me. Maybe if I insult the uncool sucessful people and show the cool, unsuccessful kids how cool and unsuccessful I am, they'll let me join their club.

Spike! Hey Spike!

Spikechester1.jpg

Boggsy. What in you opinion makes the Jade line part of your list of the worst absinthes? If you don't mind me asking.

As you have seen it concerns only the two of the whole line, so it is not the general criticism. Why NO? Because it is weird at least to me. Why PF1901? Although interesting, it is still far from Pernod fils. As Blanchette seems to be the best of the whole line, VS is almost that good, whereas Edouard I have not had, so cannot form an opinion.

Hence, out of 5, I don't like just these 2. If I try Edouard, I might like it, who knows. Moreover, the absinthes from the list are in no particular order, I am not fond of any of them for various reasons.

Absinth Original

I've avoided of the bottom end drek since then.

UE68 wasn't that good.

La Fee - good in coffee. Otherwise ich.

Beyond that I've enjoyed the remaining Absinthes I've tried. Some are far from the BE samples I've tried, some not so far off but still lacking.

Moreover, the absinthes from the list are in no particular order

I understand that, but I think that, even if you don't particularly care for the nuances of the Jades, if you've had more than 20 CO absinthes, I'm sure you can find 10 of those that are far worse than any of the Jades.

Boggy, I love ya man, but just from your previous statements and bandwaggoning, I think it has much more to do with what Hiram said.

The PF 1901 is a pretty decent approximation of the greener 1914, to me, except for two important differences...the 1914 base is much better, and there doesn't seem to be as much apparent wormwood flavor in the finish of the 1901.

Boggy really likes 'em on the bitter side, so that may be it.

I understand that, but I think that, even if you don't particularly care for the nuances of the Jades, if you've had more than 20 CO absinthes, I'm sure you can find 10 of those that are far worse than any of the Jades.

I have followed your advice and may exchange these two Jades in question for the following CO's:

Pere Kermann, still if it is to be considered an absinthe

La Fee Parisian

Absinth Original Young Blood

Apsinthion Grand De Luxe

Boggy really likes 'em on the bitter side, so that may be it.

Who knows me better?

Boggy, I love ya man

Luv ya, too :cheers: your help in wines and vintage whisky really paid back.

Here's a whisky suggestion for you, B...

Go in on that Black Bowmore deal. Sure, $250 is a lot to pay for a shot of Scotch, but if you've never tried it, I can tell you it's the best you'll ever taste, and since this is the last barrel, you'll never get the chance again...it's truly sublime stuff, even if it isn't Edouard Pernod. :thumbup: :cheers:

Yes indeed! I have only just seen them. I feel calmed, fascinated, and absorbed. It would be nice to have the full sized ones hanging on my wall, in good light, have a glass of Absinthe and just look at them awhile. As Z_for_Zendetta said, you would never tire of them. Nice work dakini!