scuto

Long-winded introduction from Massachusetts

Greetings, all! My name is Wendell, and I’ve been seduced by the Green Fairy.

It all started recently when my Google start-up page showed a link to “How to drink absinthe.” I was intrigued, both due to the lore, but also because I recall enjoying a glass of Spanish (I believe) absinthe with a family friend while I was on a road trip (sugar, louche, and all). My researcher tendencies swung into action, and I read a few articles (Wired, New Yorker come to mind), found this forum and its reviews, and became even more fascinated. I went to the local liquor warehouse a couple days later to try my luck, and recognized Lucid as the “starter” absinthe mentioned in a few articles about T. A. Breaux’s work. I’ve found it to be pleasurable (aroma, louche), refreshing (with the sugar), and has even spurred on some creativity, though I am somewhat of a skeptic when it comes to “secondaries.” Well, other than having a clearer mind than one normally would while imbibing. (Herbs acting in concert?) The louche is inspirational enough, and knowing that it is a precipitate (hooray high school chemistry!) only deepens my appreciation.

My budget is not friendly to more brands of absinthe at the moment, as the Lucid is now being enjoyed with ramen (heh), but I have my eyes on a few, including the Kübler still on the shelf. Here’s hoping sooner than later! I look forward to trying less beginner-level absinthes in the near future, possibly with other New Englanders!

I decided to join the forum today because I chatted online with a friend in town to see when he’d like to have a tasting. I fear I may not have been tactful when learning he had had a Czech crapsinth and that it was “like drinking turpentine with rubbing alcohol in it.” He took it well after I distinguished what I had to offer from what he had experienced, because he said he looks forward to a less horrid-tasting beverage. However, I fear I ruined it when writing in all-caps “F_ _ _ Fire!” upon learning how it had been prepared for him. After reading a bit of the forum, I can see that y’all tend to take a similar tack when confronted with crapsinth (which I haven’t had, admittedly). I would like to hear how some of you have taken diplomatic routes when talking to those folks who have only experienced crapsinth and may have been subjected to crapsinth’s marketing machine. Nothing speaks better than the real thing in front of them, of course. I’m curious about your experiences, what you did, how it went, etc. Speak up, ye absinthe evangelists!

Welcome to the Forum, Scuto. :cheers:

Should your friends want to try the burning thing, again, remind them the Czechsinthe Fire Ritual works best as a colonic. :devil:

Howdy Podner. :cheers:

Back when I found out about this place, and absinthe, I told a friend of mine about it. A week or two later I mentioned it to him and he said "Is it the good stuff?" I asked him what he meant, and he explained that he had been informed that "The good stuff is from Eastern Europe." I believe I was civil and told him what I knew, from coming here. Whether he believed me or not is up in the air though. He did eventually try some absinthe one night and said he liked it.

Welcome! :cheers: I think searching through some links in the ignorance abounds thread might give you some idea of how we explain things to those who have fallen under the assbinthe spell.

Thank you for the hellos, welcomes, and advices!

Heheh, I'll have to practice the civility thing, I realize. The colonic thing I'll leave to a professional. (How much do you *really* know about that, T73? ;) ) And the "Ignorance Abounds" thread is proving quite helpful. Thanks again! :cheers:

(How much do you *really* know about that, T73?

Apparently not much. Every time I suggest someone stick their czechsinthe where it belongs, they get upset.

Thanks, y'all!

Believe me, that whole diplomatic thing gets tough after a while. It's hard to tell someone they paid $200 + S&H for something they could make at home for $9.95.

Whoo, boy--I can imagine! I can just picture the sort of face I'd be wearing in that situation... hilarious in one sense, sure, but still awkward!

Luckily I'm reading my very first Jane Austen novel, so I may learn some fine techniques--wow 'em with my diplomatic verbiage so that they just *can't* feel offended!

I would like to hear how some of you have taken diplomatic routes when talking to those folks who have only experienced crapsinth and may have been subjected to crapsinth’s marketing machine.
Diplomatic? :euro: I don't know how "diplomatic" this is but I tell them, in a matter-of-fact tone,
You have drank what the absinthe community calls Czecsinthe or crapsinth, not classic absinthe. If you want to try the real deal, let me know. :cool-reaper:
If they ask questions then I educate them further. If they don't then clearly they're philistines that deserve the bliss their ignorance gives them.

The friends that introduced me to "Absinthe" are still pretty stuck on crapsinth. They believe the only way to enjoy absinth is to take a shot straight and have pringles and beer ready to wash the taste and burn away. Admittedly he learned the habit from soccer hooligans while he was on a tour of duty in England (what a sweet deployment btw). I haven't been able to visit for some years, but when I do, I will bring a proper bottle of absinthe and let them judge for themselves.

Some people just enjoy pain.

Ahoy-hoy!

Welcome to the forum. Bluescat and I lived in Woods Hole for ten years. The fact that Absinthe is available in a store there (or anywhere ) is incredible. You will learn a great deal here.

Welcome from another Mass resident! :cheers: Personally, I found the Kübler to be much better than the Lucid, which I found, frankly, to be a little boring. It's even cheaper!

Thanks for the welcomes, all! It is indeed a party. :cheers:

Misanthrope, I like that approach--basically saying, "I can help you learn the way, but you have to want to follow." Caring as much as they care to know the real deal, so that if they turn out to be thick-headed then one takes it less personally.

Hiya Bluescat and Sonny Mann! What a small world! I'm in East Falmouth, and my parents lived in Woods Hole for a while in the 70s! Looks like you're in a spot (accoding to G-maps) that may be milder in temperature, but just as salty. Heheh. A friend of mine is looking at Seattle as a potential move. How do you like the Olympic Peninsula?

Poor--it sounds like the student has become the master! England does sound like a good deployment to get. May you educate them, and they graciously accept the true knowledge!

InAbsinthia--Now I am looking forward to trying Kübler even more! Very curious to A/B them. Glad to see Mass folks on here! Do you know how numerous we are, and if it would be possible to converge for grand louching?

Edited by scuto

Scuto, fun to hear from you. We took care of an estate on Church St. near Nobska beach. We like Seattle a lot (Generally, we dislike cities a lot) and we LOVE the Olympic Peninsula. Our town, in particular.

InAbsinthia--good to hear was have some MA representation here, and that there are occasional meetups. I checked out the blog; good stuff, and I like that it's a little different in content than other sites--more variety to show the breadth and depth of the community of absinthe-drinkers! That sucks about your (your friend's?) Jade Edouard!

Sonny Mann--Too cool! As a matter of fact, two friends of mine from high school are doing the exact same thing on the exact same street at the moment! It's all patterns, no? I tend not to dig cities myself (I tried out NYC for a year. Love the people there, but couldn't do it.), but it sounds like I should check out Seattle at some point! At the very least visit. If/when I do, I'll be sure to get a good dose of the Olympic Peninsula.

it sounds like I should check out Seattle at some point! At the very least visit. If/when I do, I'll be sure to get a good dose of the Olympic Peninsula.

Absolutely! We love to visit Seattle and we're bound and determined to retire on the Olympic Peninsula someday. It's all very cool. :cheers: