Sign in to follow this  
Brooks

Anthony Bourdain in New Orleans

Cheers, clan.

For the next day or two, Anthony Bourdin's "No Reservations" (Travel Channel) is airing an episode on New Orleans. If anyone has time to check it out, I'd love a report. I'd watch it myself, but am TV-less.

Mr. Bourdin can be cranky, but cranky is more interesting than Rachel Ray.

post-143-1202266050.jpg....Thanks....and Happy Mardi Gras!

I watched a couple episodes last night. The guy did a respectable job on the parts I watched.

Anthony can be a bit, hmmmm, insensitive at times but what I watched last night was quite good.

I enjoyed it immensely, Brooks. It was a sentimental trip to a ravaged city fighting for its future. Typically, Anthony visited with a lot of locals and their stories were really heart-felt. My opinion of Emeril Lagasse changed for the better, especially the information about the Emeril Lagasse Foundation. Bourdain apologized for the way he's treated Emeril over the years but ended that by saying, "Rachael Ray still sucks." Good stuff. ;)

I wore my Mardi Gras beads all day today, and never saw any other nod to it in the whole city, and I live in San Francisco, where any excuse to dress up funny is a big deal. Only the raging hottie who works the counter at my gym got into the spirit when she saw my beads. I offered to give them to her, for the traditional price, and she smiled at the suggestion, but declined. At least I tried...

His first go at absinthe was done up pretty conclusively, even if they did succumb to the temptation to use melting wallpaper imagery. A brief mention of absinthe's connections, both old and new that are unique to that city would have been an easy way for him to fill up ninety additional seconds with something cool, if he needed more stuff, though.

Wish I'd seen it. I read his book a long time ago, but I've only randomly caught two or three episodes of the show, including the Paris episode that I watched online. I liked that, though.

I haven't eaten restaurant specials/seafood early in the week since reading that book. ;)

Thanks for pointing out the New Orleans episode, it was sitting on my Tivo playlist (which I never look at any more). I'm looking forward to it.

-W

Two summers ago, my 26-year-old TV gave up the Casper. Tubeless living isn't tough, but once in a while something airs that I'd really like to see.

Like this episode of "No Reservations." Glad it wasn't too snarky. New Orleans is struggling.

Appreciate the feedback. :cheers:

Yes, the episode was good. I watched it a couple of times. I like Bourdain, I have a couple of his books.

It was a good look at how the city is trying to survive and come back. He did the 9th ward trip to illustrate the devastation and resilience of the people there, met with Emeril. Hung out with some locals and they told their stories. He also ate at Antoines and noted emphatically how there was nobody else in the place.

Antoine's is a beautiful and historic restaurant in need of an overhaul. It was going downhill and losing customers years before Katrina.

Hope its fortunes change. It was a great restaurant once.

We saw the show and liked it a lot. No love for the current administration. No surprise there!!! Here's another Emeril story for you, T73. When he had his Orlando place built... he wanted authenticity. That meant cooks, waiters, etc. from NO. As he hired them, he told them to ask their parents AND grandparents if they would like to move also. He paid for it all to keep the families together.

Seems to be a driven guy. I like him.

That's a different image than the "BAM" dork.

I wasn't sad to hear his show close but I get the feeling, I'd really enjoy sitting down and talking with the real person. He seems like a guy with class.

Antoine's is a beautiful and historic restaurant in need of an overhaul. It was going downhill and losing customers years before Katrina.

Hope its fortunes change. It was a great restaurant once.

I can still call up the flavor of the Pompineau en Papillot (sp) I enjoyed there in 1972.

A great restaurant, indeed. :cheers:

That's a different image than the "BAM" dork.

I wasn't sad to hear his show close but I get the feeling, I'd really enjoy sitting down and talking with the real person. He seems like a guy with class.

Okay, so I started reading this post backwards. I thought you were talking about Bam Margera.

I also love Bourdain's take on Sandra Lee.

She...must...be...STOPPED!!!! :laugh:

I agree. Her sing-songy inflections make me want to pull out my hair. Or maybe hers.

True, but she's much better looking. ;)

Than Anthony Bourdain? Yes. Than Rachael Ray? No. I'd do RR in a heartbeat. Sandra Lee--I'll pass.

Thanks for the nice Emeril story, Sonny.

Wow, Abs....1972! The early '70s were great years to visit.

Doc, you make me laugh. I like you more and more (not that I ever didn't like you).

Brooks, the 70s were good for a lot of things. I actually remember a few of them.

Me, too, T.

Or at least I think I remember them. :twitchsmile:

Doc, on a purely physical level I can relate to your RR affinity, however, from my perspective, she'd need a 'pacifier' to keep that insuferably big mouth distracted. :devil:

Okay boys.

I was moved by the episode. It was well done from opening to close. You could tell a Katrina survivor by the look in their eyes. It has been 20 years this summer since I last visited New Orleans. I spent two New Year's Eves in Jackson Square when I was in college. It was quite the party. I was moved by the people who mowed the lawns in their devastated neighborhoods. It is a sign of civilization, community and humanity.

Brooks, the 70s were good for a lot of things. I actually remember a few of them.
Ditto. Most of all, I remember thinking that I would:

Always look hot :dead:

Always be in control :no2:

Always have enough money :laf: and

Never feel burdened by adulthood :3869-sadbanana:

Oh well.

Maggie, I was in the Quarter both those New Year's Eves. Actually, I owe you a huge apology for peeing on your shoe.