Sign in to follow this  
britgeekgrrl

Buying in London

Howdy all,

I'm spending nine - count 'em, nine - hours in London on Friday and I'm looking for somewhere to buy absinthe that isn't a) Heathrow (a lousy selection, by all accounts) or B) Gerry's Liquors in Soho.

The latter place was recommended on some other absinthe-y forums but, upon browsing their selection, I don't think it's worth hauling out to Soho for. Clandestine seems to be the only brand on their entire list that I'm willing to even consider - and, yes, I emailed to ask if they had a larger selection in their brick-and-mortar store and was told that they didn't.

I'm going to be spending most of the day around South Kensington and Piccadilly (and on to Paddington at day's end) but can hop the Tube pretty much anywhere.

The only other place I can think of would be the booze shop associated with Vinopolis, but I believe it specializes in whiskey and wine - despite offering absinthe tastings at the venue...

So, um, help?

Thanks!

- Johanna

(Yes, I know I'm replying to myself. I'm eccentric that way)

Naturally, five minutes after I post, I find some potentially useful information on tribe.net - hell of a surprise, really.

Anyone got anything - good or bad - to say about Soho Wine Supply?

Their selection is quite good - higher quality offerings than Gerry's, imho.

- Johanna

It's part of your charm. :)

You've considered all the ones from the LdF Retail Outlets page?

The Soho Wine Supply, 18 Percy Street, London W1 (PF 1901, Jade Nouvelle Orleans, Edouard, Verte Suisse, Duplais, Mansinthe and Blanche and Verte de Fougerolles)

Fortnum & Mason, Piccadilly, London W1 (Un Emile 68)

House of Frazer, Corporation Street Birmingham and Central Shopping Centre, Croydon ( Un Emile 68, Un Emile Sapin and Un Emile Blanche)

Lancelot Wines, 16 Bridge Road, East Molesey, Surrey (Jade Nouvelle Orleans and Verte de Fougerolles)

If your local wine and spirits supplier doesn't stock our absinthes ask them to contact us, we are always looking for good local distributors. If your suggestion is accepted we will give you a free bottle of your choice!

Perhaps you could email LdF in case there is someone new they haven't put on the page, yet.

-- T

(p.s. Did I ever send you a photo of how the costume turned out?)

The choice in Vinopolis is crap, even worse than in Gerry's. I would strongly recommended Soho Wine Supply. They are not too far away from Piccadilly - it's actually walkable distance (15 minutes or so) or you can take the tube, but you won't save a lot of time, because there's no direct line from Piccadilly Circus to Tottenham Court Road.

It's part of your charm. :)

Ahh, flattery will get you everywhere.

And... Fortnum's has absinthe? Score! I'm planning to stop by there to get a few foodstuffs for my dad, so that would be v. convenient!

Thanks!

- Johanna

PS - no, you didn't show me how the costume turned out. Were you happy with it?

because there's no direct line from Piccadilly Circus to Tottenham Court Road.

Ahh, the deceptiveness of the Tube map. It's a work of art, I acknowledge that, but man-oh-man, it's deceptive.

As I'm planning out my day, I'm printing out Googlemaps of the spots I'd like to hit and using *those* to figure out the walk or Tube? type decisions. As long as I keep the scales of the maps in mind, I shouldn't come a cropper!

Thanks for the referalls. Yours is the second thumbs-down I've heard re: Vinopolis' selection, so they're definitely off the list.

- Johanna

Fortnum & Mason no longer sell it. I spent a long time looking and couldn't see any sign of any absinthe (maybe La Fee XS, but I think that was in Selfridges on Oxford Street).