techdiver

Speed louching for diabetics

Found a quick, but not artistic, way to get a glass of absinthe in a hurry. Absinthe in glass, packet of Splenda dissolved in ice water, and pour. Having not had more than a few glasses at a time, the sugar hasn't been a problem. But this way, I can quickly get to more than one and not have to worry about my blood sugar getting out of whack. Of course I gotta check before since if it's low I'm screwed too.

I have type 2 Diabetes myself, and wondered how it would effect blood sugar. With the Splenda, what sort of spike are you getting?

The only data I have noted to date is a rise of 26 with 3 glasses prepared with sugar. Since Splenda dissolves so easily in cold water, I figured I'd give it a shot. Also note, this was with Duplais which my little experience has shown needs less sugar than others I've tried. I'll collect more data over the weekend and see what I come up with. At present it seems absinthe doesn't have a drastic effect if consumed with moderation.

No it won't, my reason for trying it. On the other hand, alcohol has a negative effect as the liver processes the poison (alcohol) before anything else. Therefore, a diabetic with low blood sugar will stay low and risk a diabetic coma if they drink more than they eat. A delicate balance; I always check my levels before I drink. If it's below what I consider an acceptable level I always eat something first.

Alcohol gets turned by the liver into acetaldehyde, and thence into glucose, along with whatever else is in absinthe that the GI tract can break down and process. In general any food, even with no sugar, will cause sugar spikes in your blood to one degree or another. On the other hand, during the processing of alcohol + other ingredients, the liver uses glucose, which will transiently cause a decrease in blood sugar levels until the alcohol has been turned completely into glucose.

Has anyone tried using stevia as a sweetener? Since it's already kind of anise-y in flavor, it seems that it might be a natural choice as an Absinthe Sweetening Bedfellow (ASB).

My dad, 84 years old, loves absinthe... and is diabetic. I'm going to get some stevia and try the stevia/absinthe combo for him soon... but I thought I'd see if anyone in this thread has already tried it. Maybe it's a terrible combo!

Maybe they're chemically incompatible!

Maybe it makes the absinthe burst into flame! :shock:

Do you other diabetics put a can of orange juice beside your bed if having a drink in case of an unexpected drop or am I just paranoid? :blush:

You can never be too paranoid. I'm partial to mini Snickers.

OK, my data is in. With 1 sugar cube, blood glucose increase is about 10 mg/dL per glass. With Splenda, it is unchanged.

Don't know which brand you are using, but some of those glucometers have error margins of 20-30 mg/dL. Medtronics have been the most consistent in my experience, but even the best of those can swing almost 10 mg on repeat checks. You might try checking a bunch of values to get a bell curve for each type of food/sugar/drink you consume, which would be much more statistically accurate in terms of the measuring the average increase in serum glucose for a specific item consumed. There will be blood, I know, but it's all in the name of science. :)

I've got some powdered Stevia here, and my mah was trying to grow some last year. I've thought about using it in tea, but the package (for the powedered) says it's a real pain to get fully dissolved due to all the fiber thats in it. I might give it a try sometime though.

And then, of course, there's this news from today which could have impact this whole discussion...

As far as that goes, I learned a while back that high is better than low. First episode found me on my back, and fairly unresponsive, on the bathroom floor as I was trying to check my blood sugar. Second time was on a plane from LA to Papeete. Since the flight attendant wasn't fast enough, I asked Kathy to get me some regular Coke fast. By the time she got back, I was unresponsive again. I envisioned that I was throwing up on myself; it was actually the Coke dribbling down my chin as she was trying to get me to drink it. But enough of this, I actually have it very well controlled for now. In reading the article I realize just how well. My last A1C was 6, up slightly from 5.6, the previous test. I still get carried away from time to time eating, but it all works out. Only downside is having to pass on dessert in most cases.

We bought some stevia plants in the autumn. Unfortunately they're not looking so good now. But it really is amazing. You take a little nip of a leaf and think, well, that's pretty innocuous tasting. Then pretty quickly the sweetness swells and lingers. A good clean sweetness. I don't recall anise-y hints to it, but then I was really overwhelmed that a plant could be so sweet. We'll have to get more plants this spring. Further experimentation is called for.

You know, I put them to sleep for a while, but I think I'll get 'em up give 'em a feeding this weekend. I'll give them your regards.