Sign in to follow this  
lohssanami

My first taste of Absinthe was a month ago!!!!

Hello,

My name's Tim, and I'm 37, living in San Jose, CA. I'm new to Absinthe, and I really just got interested since a distillery in my area (St. George Spirits) was in the news. I picked up some bottles of St. George and a bottle of Lucid, and that is the extent of my experience thus far. Here is a short list of the different methods we have used for drinking.

1. I have tried it "flamed", ouch. I know, I know, I have read the forums and other places on the net to know of the whole Czech/Swiss absinthe brewhaha, and everyone's opinion on it. However, I had to try it before I could say anything good or bad about it.

2. I have tried it with just a cube or two of sugar dripped onto a makeshift "absinthe spoon" with chilled water. I don't have a dripper or an absinthe spoon so I did what I could...kind of like Magyver. You really need great finger dexterity to be able to hold the "sugar" utensil and the glass, while simultaneously balancing the sugar and slowly pouring chilled water in a measured amount. I read here about 5 or 10 minute drips was good, but I had enough to concentrate on without having to slow to that rate. I originally put "ell O ell" here, but while previewing my post, I see it changes the translation so I removed it.

3. I have tried it by adding ice after going through #2, and this was at the request of some friends who wanted to try it as a colder mixed sipping drink after we had a few with no ice.

4. I have tried it "neat". Since I have gotten into Single Malt Scotch, I had to give a go of the straight taste for Malt's sake.

5. Finally, I tried it as an "Absinthe Frappe". I found this on St. George's site, and I don't know if this recipe was taken from somewhere else, but it is as follows:

Place 1 teaspoon of sugar into a tall glass

Fill this tall glass with crushed or cracked ice (I used a pint glass)

Wait till ice starts melting then add:

1 oz. of SGA (I used 2 ozs.)

1 oz. chilled water.

Stir

I don't know if I really had to write all of this, but I figured it would give you a good idea of my first month of Absinthe exposure. By the way, I liked every way I have tried Absinthe, but the flame was just a waste of time and possibly dangerous.

Thanks to all that have posted and given me some good reference for my absinthe research.

Cheers...

Tim

Welcome! :cheers:

I tried the "fire ritual" once just for the hell of it. Thank god it was on a bottle of La Fee and not something that actually tasted very good. I wasn't overly fond of the taste of burnt sugar...

Thanks for the welcome y'all.

Shabba...scotch it is...haha. What is your favorite? I'm a peat fan myself.

Have you tried the St. George Single Malt? I found it very fruity and sweet with some hazelnut or chocolate aftertaste. As a whisky afficionado told me, "...very unlike whisky!" I did like it though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the rousing welcome.

Out in VA, I can't get any of the St. George stuff without lots of hassle. I'd love to try it though.

It's tough to pick a favorite. I have so many. A lot of my top brands right now are special bottlings, either through Park Ave liquors or the SMWAA. My favorite line is the Balvenie though.

I've currently got a cask of Springbank waiting for 2028 to be bottled and delivered on Beckett's (my son) 21st b-day. I am practically counting the days.

I'll be 57 then, and I am hoping for an invite as Springbank is incredible.

I do like Balvenie also...though I've only tried the doublewood.

Since I am only 30 minutes from St. George, I was able to sample all of their spirits on a tour this month. Of course, except the absinthe, which I have my own supply anyways.

I have a bottle of the Single Malt and the Qi Smoked Black Tea liqueur.

BTW, your son is luckier than he can ever imagine at this point...nice job on the cask.

I have tried it "flamed", ouch. I know, I know, I have read the forums and other places on the net to know of the whole Czech/Swiss absinthe brewhaha, and everyone's opinion on it. However, I had to try it before I could say anything good or bad about it.

Actually I commend you on this experiment. It made me realize that I have never tried absinthe this way, yet I am always telling others not to do it, as if I had first hand knowledge of the experience. Since I consider myself a scientist, you've inspired me to try a little experiment of my own. ;) Oh, and welcome to the party. :cheers:

Thanks Ghostorm, Ejellest and jcbphd for the welcomes.

Jcbphd - I read alot of the posts all around this forum, and over at feeverte dot net, as well as googling all sorts of blogs and reviews. Though I don't have much knowledge of absinthe, I did get a good representation of the whole traditional view of fire and sugar, as well as how personal preferences can cloud one's judgement. I just wanted to try things without feigning expertise on this "new" American treat.

I'm sure after you try the fire, you will see it's just a party trick, but you will reaffirm your anti-fire convictions. It took me all of about 5 minutes to realize I didn't need the flame, but it was fun lighting something on fire.

Once again, many thanks for the welcomes from everyone, including Hiram for providing this site.