Sign in to follow this  
Meatwaggon

Looking for a small absinthe glass.....

Does anyone know where and how I could get my hands on small absinthe glasses, like for tasting? Something like 0.5oz reservoir or something similar. I've been introducing people to absinthe and since the majority of them don't end up liking it, I end up downing the rest myself because I don't want to waste any of it. With several people, that's several glasses. Definitely enough to trip ballz. I've searching Ebay, Google, with no luck.....

I don't think there's any small reservoir glasses being made nowadays. You can always pick up a couple Perigord Flutes from World Market or from La Rochere. That glass is my choice for small sample servings. At World Market I got them for $6 apiece, cheaper than online. You have to eyeball it, but it doesn't take long to figure it out, and the presentation is very nice, unlike with my other sample glasses.

nicely dose a regular sized absinthe glass, louche it correctly for all to see and marvel, then pour tastes from it. small glasses make bad absinthe-watering devices...a fine-quality absinthe glass with a pouring spout for tastings is presently in the works...

Together with the other things you mentioned being in the works on the collector's forum, this is going to be a great year for glass lovers like me. The new Simon Pearce stuff from Tempus Fugit has really raised the bar for modern absinthe glassware.

This is a great time to be an absinthe fiend.

The new Simon Pearce stuff from Tempus Fugit has really raised the bar for modern absinthe glassware.

i honestly don't know how any other modern glassware could find a way jump over that bar...

I bought the small glass on the right for this exact purpose (I threw the other glass in for a size comparison, but it's not like everyone has identical glassware so that was sort of silly of me...)

post-1809-1201651738_thumb.jpg

It came from an antique shop and cost me $15 at the most. A splash of Absinthe, a teaspoon of ice cold water and a pinch (or not) of sugar and you have a very nice sampler.

But a glass with pouring spouts is a wonderful idea indeed! The mini louche one gets in a glass like the one above robs the novice drinker of one of Absinthe's many pleasures: seeing the ritual transform the drink.

Cheers,

Christian

I have a set of six miniature swirl glasses. They stand a little under four inches tall. They can be louched in if you are careful, that's not the problem. When I use them, my nose is not inside the mouth of the glass while I drink. Nit-picky I know but I've found that this really changes the way I experience the drink.

post-318-1201653234_thumb.jpg

That is interesting! I have no sense of smell (Anosmia), so it had not occured to me that I might be missing out on an aspect of the Absinthe experience... Damn.

I bought the small glass on the right for this exact purpose (I threw the other glass in for a size comparison, but it's not like everyone has identical glassware so that was sort of silly of me...)

Most of us have one or two like the one on the left. ;)

I love that little glass. I have a few antique cordial glasses but not like that one. Pretty! :cheers:

I have memories of how certain things smell from when I was a kid (fresh cut grass, lentil stew, etc.) but that's it. I had a bit of blunt trauma to the head once in a bike accident in my teens, so that's what I've blamed it on...

A friend's mother took a nasty fall on the ice and hit the back of her head pretty hard. Afterwards she had anosmia, and it really impacted her sense of taste. From then on she mostly ate things according to whether the texture was pleasing to her. The saddest part was that before the accident she was really into cooking.

And those with anosmia, have agnosia about the stink. :laf:

Edited to add this disclaimer that I am in no way laughing at those with either disorder.

I've joked about starting a support group for others like me called Anosmics Anonymous. Our motto would be "I think you stink". ;)