Sign in to follow this  
American Jambo

Just finished my homemade fountain...

So here's what I did yesterday. Drilling the glass was no problem wth the special drillbit I bought. Used aquarium silicon to seal it up. Works great. Now I just need to find a lid for it. Oh and verte on the left blanche on the right. Mmmmm....

post-1763-1201486588_thumb.jpg

Shall I bust AJ for allowing a stream of water instead of a drip?

Or, shall I bust ETexas for quoting the whole post including the photo? :devil:

Semi-seriously, ETexas, there's no reason to quote the post immediately preceding your post. But other than that, I agree that it does look like some fine work! Nice work AJ! :cheers:

For a lid, I'd check the kitchen section at Wally-World. You might have to buy a whole container just for the lid, but you shouldn't be our more than a few dollars.

What a nice job looks very nice. What kind of drill bit did you use?

There are 2 types of glass grill bits. One is your standard type drill bit that starts off at a point then flares out as it gets higher. This type of but shaves the material. I wasn't really comfortable with using that as i could see it easily shattering the glass. The other type of bit, which is the type is used, is a barrel type bit. It's a cylinder that is dructed with diamond around the edge. It acutally routes out the hole. Worked great.

Shall I bust AJ for allowing a stream of water instead of a drip?

I know, I know... It was the first time I used it and I was paying more attention to getting a good pic. That and I really wanted an absinthe so I was a bit impatient. ;)

For a lid, I'd check the kitchen section at Wally-World. You might have to buy a whole container just for the lid, but you shouldn't be our more than a few dollars.

Tried that already. But that's the idea I had. I'd like to find a flat brushed stainless steel lid from a kitchen canester that will fit it. Then I can just purchase a knob type handle from the kitchen/bathroom hardware section of lowes. They weird thing is the lid from a large quaker oats oatmeal container fits perfectly but I don't think I'll be using that. ;)

Thanks. That's exactly the reason I purchased it. I wanted something simple with clean lines. I don't care for overly ornate things. I would love to find a glass lid for it but I think that's going to be pretty hard to find one that would actually suit it. I honestly like it without a lid but keeping the dust out of it without a lid is going to be a pain. Of course I could just start drinking a lot more absinthe and have more people around for absinthe parties and that would solve that issue. <grin>

Fountain looks great. Did you find a lid yet? If not, you may want to measure it and see if you can find a replacement lid from a cooking supply site. A plain glass round casserole or saucepan lid would be very understated and on top of that thing you'd never realize what it was.

Jambo, You seem handy. If finding a lid (try a scientific supplier) isn't possible I would make one from a nice piece of beech or ash. You can router it and/or carve it and they sell Ornaments for the top. Check the Cabot Stains link to check out the pretty semi-transparent green stains.

Nice job

Jambo, very nice! If you don't mind me asking, did you pick up that jar at Pier 1 Imports? I saw jars like that at Pier 1 recently and immediately thought "absinthe fountain"! When I looked closer, the glass is very thick; I've not tried drilling glass before, so wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. I'd be encouraged to hear that this is the same jar, and that the thick glass can be drilled successfully ...

I would like to go around to a few shops that do ceramic and pottery. Pick out a nice piece and put the spigot holes in before the piece is glazed and fired in the kiln.

Or maybe some of out talented members happen to have kilns and could do some nice fountains. Anyone stateside could make a couple and sell them on here, then make some different ones.

Very nice! That ceramic and pottery shop comment got me thinking though. I know where someone who owns one of these shops and would like to try my hand at a sculpture type fountain... maybe a giant hand or something... Where did you find taps like that?

If you are going to make something like that, be sure to make it so that it is EASY to clean. If it has corners or places that are hard to get to, you will not clean it and it will sit there unused. ;)

After a while of brainstorming, I was thinking a standard sort of shaped container for the water and the stem would be a forearm with the hand at the bottom supporting itself on the finger tips with fingers spread. The fingers would connect to a flat base. The part of the idea that has me excited is making a mold out of my arm which I think would be awesome with something like this.