Sign in to follow this  
cboy321

Hello, Im new here

It is in poor taste to ever bring a PM public without a hell of a good reason without permission of whoever sent you the message.

excuse me for being cautious and trying to inform people of what seemed to be a scam!!!! I brought the PM public because this deal seemed to be extremely fishy.....and it seemed that letting the community know what was going on seemed like a very good idea and see if anyone knew this person, because I damn sure don't trust anyone who is part of an Internet community, especially someone who has been here only a little while longer than myself....

I understand where you're coming from, but that's what moderators are for. Keeping emails and PMs private is something we highly value here.

I still feel that letting everyone know is still the best thing to do....either way the information gets out there and mods/admins still see it.

But in the first place he should have never offered...

Check the rules:

5. Respect Privacy

Privacy is important here. Information posted here may not be posted elsewhere without the express permission of the author. Public posting of information communicated in private is a serious infraction and will result in immediate suspension or banning without warning.

Of course, this is a rule, too:

9. NO SPAM. Don't join the forum just sell stuff. If you don't have a sincere personal interest in absinthe you don't belong here. Well-known vendors are welcome to post about new product availability and members may solicit swaps or offer collectibles for sale. New members: it's best to wait a while before looking for a buyer for something. Contact an admin if you are unsure about this.

But there's a way to handle it. If you believe that someone is violating the rule about spam, then go to a moderator. Two wrongs don't make a right. Period.

You must have us confused with another forum. We try to be polite and we try to respect the other members. From Tally Ho on, you been fairly politely asked to respect other member's privacy and instead of "getting it" you've argued. Sit back, think about it and don't get defensive. We're asking that you extend the same courtesy to others that you'd like for yourself. That seems pretty straight forward, don't you think?

I was being respectful, if you recall my initial post, it was essentially asking if anyone knew who this guy was that was trying to sell me something....

But, anyways I am truly done talking about this subject and if there is a next time that someone approaches me about trying to sell something I will just keep my mouth shut...

There are so many people trying to scam others on the internet and when someone tries to bring something that is a typical example of a scam to the attention of everyone else, people want to warn me about keeping PMs private....

Notice I also posted the rule about spam. What TheHeartBurnCat PM'd you wasn't necessarily improper but it also wasn't good form. He would be wise to understand this and contact a moderator before doing that sort of thing again.

Privacy is of utmost concern here. That much should be obvious. It's not up to your discretion to decide whether a PM indicates a rule violation or whether its contents should be posted publicly. If that were so then members could use that as an excuse for maliciously posting private messages.

The reason everyone's coming down on you is because you repeatedly shrugged off what you were told by other forum members--two of them moderators--because it wasn't how you feel things should be done. But it isn't your forum and you were supposed to read the rules before you began posting.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to reacquaint themselves with them every now and then.

when someone tries to bring something that is a typical example of a scam to the attention of everyone else, people want to warn me about keeping PMs private....

Cboy, ya just don't seem to get it. Here's what would have happened if you would have done things in the proper manner:

1) you get a shill offer

2) you let a moderator know of said offer

3) moderator investigates

4) moderator resolves issue by whatever means they deem necessary

5) moderator notifies other members if there is something that needs to be known (i.e. 'It has come to our attention that a member is contacting other members in order to sell product. etc etc')

6) Everyone goes about their lives with knowledge of the issue, and no one gets into any arguments.

See how easy that was?

Just relax, and have a nice drink. No one is going to ban you for being cautious. We appreciate your bringing this to our attention. But for future situations, use the above method.

Well for the record this guy wasn't trying to "scam" anybody. In fact he was trying to be a nice guy. At least he didn't go into "The Market" and give everybody his Ebay link like some other people I know. He tried to do so discreetly. If you had no intention of buying it off of him in the first place, I don't see the need to even ask around about his rep or post the contents of your PM in here. If you don't trust him, just say "no thanks". I really don't blame you, nor would anyone else. I wouldn't trust somebody I didn't know. And why take my word for him? I could be a shiesty SOB too for all you know, regardless of how many posts I've made in here.

I'm just trying to protect the sanctity of PM's I guess. I feel they really should be "private", as the "P" suggests. Nobody is telling you not to post in here. Don't take this personal. I almost feel bad because I vouched for this guy and this ruckus ensued, but there really was no ill-intent at all. He was making you an honest offer. You should have just declined.

If he had posted this in the public forum, like The Market or whatnot, I would have had words with him about that. That would be wrong.

well i appreciate you guys addressing him on he "PM" definition before i got home and had to send him another one to say thanks... tally ho gave me a call at work and told me that my discussion was made private. i was trying to be a nice guy to him and help him get started but let him order himself some lovely czechsinthe then light himself on fire.. " make sure you record it"

oh and i apologize next time i will let someone else know ahead of time if im going to "pedal my wares" and just because i dont post on here a lot doesnt mean that im a complete noob to this delightful drink.. i have a life besides keg stands cboy

Edited by TheHearTburNcaT

Well for the record this guy wasn't trying to "scam" anybody.

I don't doubt that. But if Cboy would have went through the proper channels, that would have been made clear before this whole mess even started.

well i appreciate you guys addressing him on he "PM" definition before i got home and had to send him another one to say thanks... tally ho gave me a call at work and told me that my discussion was made private. i was trying to be a nice guy to him and help him get started but let him order himself some lovely czechsinthe then light himself on fire.. " make sure you record it"

oh and i apologize next time i will let someone else know ahead of time if im going to "pedal my wares" and just because i dont post on here a lot doesnt mean that im a complete noob to this delightful drink.. i have a life besides keg stands cboy

Firstly, I would like to say that I find you to be very rude in the fact that you imply that I intend to set Absinthe on fire and that you seem to think I am a typical frat boy.

In your first post in this thread you were trying to make fun of me for something that I am not and for something that I don't intend to do. Yet I shrugged it off, and made a joke out of it. But still here you are again trying to bash me, because you think I am a typical 21 year old alcoholic frat boy. I simply came here to learn a few things and up till this point everything has gone well. Everyone else seemed to be very friendly. But alas there is always one jerk that tries to offend people...

Let's all consider that a mistake or two was made. It's done. There is no sense in anyone pointing fingers and turning this into a pissing match. Indeed, let's allow this to be a good lesson for everyone on how easy it is to be misunderstood. Let's let the accusations and the explanations rest and follow Shabba's excellent advice:

Relax and have a nice drink. :cheers:

Yeah, no need to throw another log onto the fire Heartburn. What we had here was a "fail-ya to communicate". I had one of these with another member when I first joined in here. We both misunderstood what the other was trying to convey. I don't see him post anymore and I certainly hope it's not on account of me.

Time to move on... indeed.

I had moved on but in his earlier post he made a comment about his gatorade and setting it on fire especially since he said he first saw it in "from hell". And T has a good point there really is no point in getting in a pissing contest with me any way, I don't like getting my feet wet.

but in his earlier post he made a comment about his gatorade and setting it on fire

It was quite obvious that he was joking, and when taken in conjunction with his other posts, he knows well enough not to try to set real absinthe on fire.

But anyway...

but in his earlier post he made a comment about his gatorade and setting it on fire

It was quite obvious that he was joking, and when taken in conjunction with his other posts, he knows well enough not to try to set real absinthe on fire.

But anyway...

Thank you :yahoo: someone who finally understands that I am not a complete retard and that the thing about setting the Gatorade on fire was a joke :laf: ...

As for my mentioning that I heard about Absinthe from the movie "From Hell" has nothing to do with what I know about Absinthe....it is just the first place that I saw or had even heard of Absinthe and this is what sparked my interest in the drink and prompted me to start looking into it more...Most people realize that just because you see something in a movie does not mean that it is 100% truth.

Most people realize that just because you see something in a movie does not mean that it is 100% truth.

Does this mean I'm going to have to rethink "Braveheart?"

Most people realize that just because you see something in a movie does not mean that it is 100% truth.

Does this mean I'm going to have to rethink "Braveheart?"

No this statement excludes "Braveheart" just due to the fact that it is a kick ass movie :yahoo:

Conversely, if you read it on the internets, it's true! Fact!

Yes, I know it is hard to believe but the interweb is full of truths, not a single lie [/sarcasm] :laf:

:laf: No matter what cboy says he keeps pm'ing me telling me that the easter bunny is also real, and he's doing a flaming shot, with santa. :cheers:

How dare you bring those PMs into the public forum I sent those to you in the confidence that it would be kept just between you and me....Shame on you I am very disappointed in you, Bad cat :thumbdown: :laf: :laf: :laf:

Edited by cboy321

Santa is real, but he is dead....we were drinking absinthe together and he decided to do the flame ritual :no-czechs3: , I tried to counter act it with the fire extinguisher ritual but I was a little late

R.I.P. Santa you will be missed :reaper: