Sign in to follow this  
cboy321

Hello, Im new here

Hi :wave2:

I'm a 21 year old college student and I have been interested in Absinthe for a while now. It started when I saw the movie "from Hell" and it sparked my interest in this drink that I had never heard of. So I decided to look around the internet to try to find out some information about it if it even existed.

I have read sites that claimed it to be a hallucinogen(which I believe is false after looking into it more). Then I have stumbled onto sites like this that appreciate it for its historical value and taste.

I have been trolling the internet for about 3 years now looking into Absinthe and then I finally saw a show on the history or discovery channel about distilleries and they did a little piece on Absinthe and how it is produced by the Jade company (or something like that). Which their site lead me here, and I must say there is a lot of great information that I have read here so far.

Finally this brings me to a question I have. I am currently looking into buying my first bottle of Absinthe, I was originally going to go with Jade but as I am a college student(gives me POOR status) I was trying to find a cheaper alternative. After looking around here I found "drinkupny.com" and the two products that they offer and was wondering if the "Kübler 53" or "Lucid" would be a good starter? I have read the reviews for both and seem to be fairly equal in the eyes of the reviewers.

Also are these two brands fairly accurate to traditional Absinthe?

Thank you for any insight you can give me,

Edited by cboy321

Welcome! Make sure to head over to the Newcomer Introductions area so we can all welcome you properly. :cheers:

To answer your question, I believe both are decent introductions to absinthe for the uninitiated. In my opinion, the Kübler is better tasting. However, many people who want to buy their first absinthe are looking to go with a green absinthe (verte). If color is important to you, go with the Lucid.

Both are traditional products and completely authentic. That's of course a comment on their production, not their quality, which most people think is about middle-of-the-road.

I agree with Shabba about Kübler being better. A lot of people want to start with something green because that's what they connect with being "absinthe," but blanches are just as authentic.

Shabba, Peridot and Derrick have all offered excellent advice. I agree whole-heartedly.

That includes Shabba's advice on heading to the Newcomers Introductions, too! :cheers:

Greetings, welcome.

I'll sound a different note...I actually prefer Lucid to the Kübler. I find the latter a little one-dimensional. That said, both are good and reasonably priced.

With any luck, we'll start to see some of the top-shelf absinthes make their way into the American market (I infer that you are yourself in the States) at a more-or-less affordable price.

However, many people who want to buy their first absinthe are looking to go with a green absinthe (verte). If color is important to you, go with the Lucid.

Maybe it was just the bottle I had, but my Lucid was almost clear, very little green. Whatever though, I still enjoyed it well enough.

I think it was just your bottle. I've had samples of Lucid from three different bottles and they've always been olive green.

well this was still obviously green, but only slightly. If I were giving it a review I wouldn't have been too kind to Lucid on it's color. My bottle almost looked like the distillery couldn't decide whether to make a blanche or a verte and decided to make something half-way in between.

Like I said, it tasted well enough though. It just wasn't as pretty to look at as Duplais, or even Jade NO.

I don't particularly care for either of them, but I don't think they're bad either. Even the people that do like them would probably agree that they're not on par with the European offerings. If you want a good introduction to absinthe I'd recommend trying to muster up the fundage and get something good. Get a couple friends to throw in with you if you can. The Jades are far from the only quality brand out there. There are far more affordable top shelf products. Marteau is only 28/bottle, Doubs Mystique is 32, Eichelberger 22, and the Duplais products are very affordable.

The Jades are far from the only quality brand out there.

That's a pretty bold statement. I think they're one of the best, but certainly not alone.

I'll sound a different note...I actually prefer Lucid to the Kübler.

I agree, I prefer Lucid to Kübler, I found Kübler to be a tad on the sweet side as well as a little less character.

I agree with DrinkBoy and Marlow. I really wanted to like Kübler better. Especially since it's a few bucks less and you get 33% more, however I did find it a bit flat. I think it's unbalanced toward the anise and one dimesnsional. Now this is comparatively speaking. I think both really are great introductions to absinthe. No sense droping $110.00 for a bottle of Jade if you're not into the scene. I find Lucid to be better balanced then Kübler and similar to the higher end Jades in over all flavor but lack the real intensity and punch that the Jades have. I really wish Lucid was a notch closer to the Jade line then I could justify it being priced higher then Kübler. I do like both Lucid and Kübler for daily drinkers. Honestly you'll never know which suits you better until you try them both.

Cheers

Edited by American Jambo

My first Absinthe...weird thing is I tried to set in on fire but it wouldn't burn!!! :laf: and it kinda taste like lime I think it came from the Gatorade Distillery...

picture002wz8.jpg

But, anyways thanks everyone for your input, I just found out that a store 15 minutes from my college will be getting some absinthe in about 10 days. The person I talked to said they could not get Lucid(because it is hard to get). So Hopefully I will be able to pick up something decent from them in a couple days. :thumbup:

and if not I will probably just order from "drinkupny" and get the lucid.

I know "drinkupny" is recommended by this site. but has anyone ordered from them and do they seem to be a good company to order from?

Thanks,

I know "drinkupny" is recommended by this site. but has anyone ordered from them and do they seem to be a good company to order from?

I ordered both Lucid and Kübler from them and my experience was fantastic both times. It's hard to beat the free shipping bit. I also received my packages within 6 days or so from ordering, with just the basic free shipping.

It still sort of irks me that European orders can get here in 3-4 days yet it can take around a week (sometimes more) for a domestic order to arrive. Bleh, whatever.

Yup. I misread Tally Ho's post as "The Jades are by far the only quality brand out there." I'm now going to have a glass of foot.

I always order my Kübler from drinkupny.com. Great price and free shipping. When I buy Lucid though I buy local. There is a place here that sells Lucid for $52.00 a bottle. Everywhere else both on-line and brick and morter it always appears to be around $62.00.

Cheers

Edited by American Jambo

Ok cboy

step 1--DO NOT LIGHT IT ON FIRE

step 2--If you ignore my first step dont try to drink it burning go to youtube you will see plenty of idiots<the world is full of them>ON FIRE!

step3--Do not get into a guzzling comp with your frat buddies.

step4-- DO NOT light it on fire

step5-- Make sure you read up on proper preperation if you "actually" want to injoy the drink

step6--make sure you at least get decent glasses and drippers or a spoon

step7--DO NOT LIGHT IT ON FIRE!!!!!!

Ok cboy

step 1--DO NOT LIGHT IT ON FIRE

step 2--If you ignore my first step dont try to drink it burning go to youtube you will see plenty of idiots<the world is full of them>ON FIRE!

step3--Do not get into a guzzling comp with your frat buddies.

step4-- DO NOT light it on fire

step5-- Make sure you read up on proper preperation if you "actually" want to injoy the drink

step6--make sure you at least get decent glasses and drippers or a spoon

step7--DO NOT LIGHT IT ON FIRE!!!!!!

HaHaHa,

Yeah I don't plan on setting anything on fire (I am kinda fond of my unburnt flesh)..... But thanks for the tips

Second I don't plan on "guzzling" it....I'm not really a huge fan of getting sick, or really drunk for that matter.

I have read how to prepare it and I plan to enjoy it...

Whats wrong with drinking it out of a red cup..... :laf:

But, thanks again for the helpful info :yahoo: :laf: :yahoo:

which means it will taste like black licorice to you..... :cheers:

Cannot taste the other way as it does contain licorice root and too much badiane ;) . However, the idea of getting something from Europe for a group looks more reasonable.

I live a few blocks away from this guy. I was just at his place today. He's good people, but you should go through a reputable supplier that you trust. Besides I'm going to take those bottles off his hands.

Also it's not good etiquette to post the contents of "private" messages in the public forum. You should have kept this between yourself and him. And for Curt... don't make a point of trying to off your wares here. You don't want Hiram to have to pick you out an avatar like Marrow over there. Or worse... be held in the same regard as jmfranc.

Let's back up a just a bit.

PM means "Private Message." Heavy emphasis on Private. It is in poor taste to ever bring a PM public without a hell of a good reason unless you have the permission of whoever sent you the message. If someone offers anything via PM and you're cautious or concerned simply replying, "No thanks." is all it requires, not airing the offer in public.

For everyone else, offer carefully. Discretion is not being cagey, it's being polite.

Edit: My Dear Lord, TheHearTburNcaT! Could find a little less distressing avatar, please?

If anyone believes that another member is acting unscrupulously then please feel free to make a moderator report by using the ! Report button below each post. These reports are taken seriously and infractions are addressed as soon as possible.