Sign in to follow this  
vpoppv

Ultimate newb here

I saw the Conan O'Brian show that mentioned absinthe and I have been researching ever since. Though I haven't had any yet, it seems as I have been destined to: I've had my share of anisette in about every form since I was 14, and the name Pernod is quite familiar. I also recently found out that my favorite beverage of all time, Chartreuse Verte, may have some wormwood flavor in it. In any case, as soon as money will allow, I will order some. Of course, I am having serious difficulty making a choice.....

Howdy Podner. :cheers:

I prefer the yellow Chartreuse, but my brother and many of his friends love the green. They're both pretty good with cola too. Right Mags? :harhar:

Welcome to the Forum!

If you check the threads, you'll see that Lucid and Kübler are both easily available in the US. Both are fine starts without completely going bankrupt. ;) Check out DrinkUpNY for quick (and free) delivery.

:cheers:

Those were the two I was leaning towards. Kübler will probably win: higher marks here, just a touch cheaper, and more volume. Just wish I could have a traditional verte as my first Heure Verte!!

I wouldn't worry too much. Kübler was my first, then I went straight for the Duplais and the Marteau before I had a chance to try the Lucid.

And ya know what? I like 'em all! :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

Welcome! :cheers:

... my favorite beverage of all time, Chartreuse Verte, may have some wormwood flavor in it.
Hmmmm. I'm not seein' it, but you never know. With a hundred bajillion herbs in there, I guess it has to have some wormwood or other. I like the Chartreuse too. Try a Last Word cocktail:

• 1/2 ounce gin
  • 1/2 ounce maraschino
  • 1/2 ounce Chartreuse
  • 1/2 ounce lime juice

Kübler will probably win: higher marks here, just a touch cheaper, and more volume. Just wish I could have a traditional verte as my first Heure Verte!!
A traditional blanche will do as nicely. Just think, it has that traditional Swiss bootlegger thing going. ;)

Welcome, Paul! :cheers:

If the green Chartreuse is your favorite drink, and you haven't tried its aged brother yet, you should check into the Chartreuse V.E.P. which is aged for twelve years in oak. It's kinda pricy, but it's well worth it for the mellow smoothness, and the added vanilla esters that really round out the flavor...if an unsugared variety were available (or perhaps a significantly lower sugar one, at any rate) it might be my favorite drink, as well.

I just received the bottle of Kübler I ordered and cracked it open. Apparently I was not meant for absinthe. All I could taste was anise, and I tried adding some sugar to make it more to my liking but it didn't seem to sweeten the flavor, just made it a sugary tartness. At about a 6:1 I am able to drink it. The deleterious effects seem to be more pronounced than similar strength beverages, which surprises me. I certainly don't feel any "lucidity". I guess I have to leave absinthe to the more refined palates of the world....

All I could taste was anise

Sounds an awful lot like the Kübler I remember....not that I disliked it, but I didn't think it was any more complex than your typical arak.

Perhaps it's a little early to throw in the towel...you might want to try less anise heavy examples, like Absinthe Roquette, before you dismiss the category entirely.

I'm saving up for Roquette and PF 1901, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm thinking I should have started with Lucid, but that's my nature, second guessing every action I take...BTW, thanks everyone for the welcomes!!

I'm thinking I should have started with Lucid...

Nope.

Then you would have gotten the impression that absinthe tastes like burnt™ caramel. :thumbdown:

Anissette since 14! w00t! That is a helluva start over the most of us.

I agree(as usual) w/Absomphe.(Unless I am so ashamedly mistaken, which I might be. I am, after all, just a lady-you see.) For drinking, period, you might as well as started w/Kamchatka.

With absinthe, start somewhere recognisably, semi-traditionaly, decent. Go with the K53; it is as far as I'm concerned(which is not nec. in keeping with others in this forum) a "better", if not a "blander-all-together", absinthe.

I have to admit, it is growing on me. I have had one every day and I find myself looking forward to it more and more. I do find the tongue numbing sensation a bit disconcerting though.....