Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

My 2nd and 3rd

Ok I decided I was going to buy samples before I committed to anything. My first, Doubs Mystique, is the first full size bottle I bought & I already posted an official review on it.

My second was a bit unusual, its the red Serpis 65 out of Spain. I would put this on the "official reviews" section too but the brand isn't listed. I have to admit I like this absinthe. Its mild & mellow. I kinda want to call it a "working man's" absinthe - 'cept its red. The aroma is anise, with a slight wormwood undertone (I think - I am not 100% certain what wormwood smells like but I think that that is what I'm detecting there). The louche is great - it goes from a kool-aide red to a peach and at 2.5:1 it was fully louched. The aroma after louching was strong anise. The flavor was just right, and after a glass I was feeling no ill will to Man at all. Even my bird was spared the threat of the microwave. Life was ... great. I gotta get me a full bottle of this!

The next - and I hesitate going further due to how heavily pro-Jade this board is - was the sample of Jade Nouvelle-Orleans. Mind you I am not passing judgment on Jade, just on this variety. While I am aware that this one is listed, I think that as a newbie I would be better off not bringing down the brand's overall rating with my nonsensical ramblings and just post as a conversation instead. I didn't much care for this. It was very strong - the alcohol so overpowering that each sip felt like it was evaporating through my sinuses. The color is nice - very pale and clear light peridot. The louche was spectacular. It appeared thick enough to float a penny. The aroma was mild and light. I had it to I think 3:1 and it was still like taking a straight hit of brandy to me. The other two, the Doubs and the Serpis, had an obvious alcohol presence but not an overpowering one. The flavor had hidden in it an almost coppery "tang" that hit the back of the tongue, as though I actually did float that penny. I will try it again with maybe more sugar (gasp) and more water... I mean, I don't want a 40 buck sample going to waste!

Maybe that's just me being a wuss.

Edited by Daniel

The next - and I hesitate going further due to how heavily pro-Jade this board is

Not to worry: you may get some disagreement, but I very much doubt you'll be savaged for posting this.

was the sample of Jade Nouvelle-Orleans. Mind you I am not passing judgment on Jade, just on this variety. ...[snip]... I didn't much care for this. It was very strong - the alcohol so overpowering that each sip felt like it was evaporating through my sinuses. The color is nice - very pale and clear light peridot. The louche was spectacular. It appeared thick enough to float a penny. The aroma was mild and light. I had it to I think 3:1 and it was still like taking a straight hit of brandy to me.

Let me second T73's comment: you should experiment with water-to-absinthe ratios. You may find the NO will smooth out at 3.5:1 or 4:1. (That said, I like it right at 3:1, and without sugar.)

Experiment with water ratio and make sure the water is very cold. Different absinthe and people have different ratio "sweet spots."

The Jades do have a distinct and heavy flavor if you aren't used to it. Don't worry it would seem you are in the majority. A few people here have done unofficial testing of absinthe newbies and have noted most like the simpler products over the more complex (and thus over the favorites here). The flavors are a bit of a palate shock and it can take a bit to get used to it. That's the way it worked for me.

For a good absinthe (IMO) and a good way to figure out just what that wormwood flavor is, I would suggest adding Blanchette to your list of future buys.

the alcohol so overpowering that each sip felt like it was evaporating through my sinuses.

If you ever have a heavy alcohol burn, your first step should be to add some more water. Most of the time, this will fix the problem. Keep in mind that absinthe alcohol content varies widely, so discretion should be used when adding water. I agree with theprevious posters that I tend to do about 4:1 with the Jades as they certainly can be quite alcohol heavy under that.

Along with that, the NO is known to have a dramatically different flavor profile than the rest of the line. Many have likened it to an 'old bay' type of undertone. For many, it's not their cup of tea. For example, if you look on the ratings page, I rated the 1901 a 4.7, while I rated the NO a 4.2.

Overall, it's the lowest scoring of the Jades. I like it, but it's certainly unique in its flavor profile and can see where some would find it off-putting.

It was very strong - the alcohol so overpowering that each sip felt like it was evaporating through my sinuses... I had it to I think 3:1 and it was still like taking a straight hit of brandy to me... The flavor had hidden in it an almost coppery "tang" that hit the back of the tongue, as though I actually did float that penny.

Yep, all of those descriptions are familiar to me. I actually like the qualities you described, though, and I don't notice alcohol burn the way I used to when I first tried NO. It's a weird absinthe but the things that make it an "I have to be in the mood for it" drink are the Old Bay quality Shabba mentioned and a weird saltiness (not a salty taste, but the actual aroma/ flavour of sea salt) that I don't think I've seen anyone else describe but me.

Don't worry. There won't be peer pressure to like something that you don't. Only pressure to hold on to it and try it again later after it's had some time to age and you've had some time to develop your palate. Even the most experienced of us are still learning.

It's a weird absinthe but the things that make it an "I have to be in the mood for it" drink are the Old Bay quality Shabba mentioned and a weird saltiness (not a salty taste, but the actual aroma/ flavour of sea salt) that I don't think I've seen anyone else describe but me.
I think others have described it as a slight fishy smell. Bayou water? jk ;)

My second was a bit unusual, its the red Serpis 65 out of Spain. I would put this on the "official reviews" section too but the brand isn't listed. I have to admit I like this absinthe.

Serpis has its share of devoted followers. You are definitely not alone.

The next - and I hesitate going further due to how heavily pro-Jade this board is - was the sample of Jade Nouvelle-Orleans.

If this board as such is "pro" anything, it is good absinthe. And what that means is obviously highly individual. Peridot isn't too fond of the 1901, which is my second favourite among the Jades after the Verte Suisse. Try it with different ratios of water and with more, less or no sugar, but if you don't really like it, well, then you don't. And as you obviously are capable of giving a good description of what you like and what you don't, you can fuel many a good discussion/rambling about absinthe and taste. Nothing wrong with that :cheers:

I definitely had to increase the water ratio on the NO...it just didn't taste right otherwise. It's a really good Absinthe, but it's my least favorite of the Jades (with my favorite being 1901).

The Blanchette is really, really good as well.

I'm finding that with most absinthes I've tasted (through both experience and following the advice of more experienced absinthuers) that opening the bottle and replacing the cork to let it breath for a week or two really helps the alcohol bite settle down.

Though I've not tried Jade NO, I remember especially upon opening bottles of Duplais Verte and Bevans HRG, I was really taken aback and wasn't sure if I cared for them. However, after about a week, I found myself enjoying both immensely (I was comparing them to Jade Ed and Roq 1797 that I'd opened a couple weeks prior). Also, with the couple bottles of Lucid I've had, breathing seems to help the peppery, funky overtones subside and lets the classic flavors come through for me.