Sean H

Unlouching?

So for the past couple days I've been enjoying a bottle of PF 1901, and last night I noticed something that I hadn't seen in any other absinthe I've tried; It seems to be unlouching.

I use my redneck dripper to add water, and that takes about 6-7 minutes. After about 15 minutes of sipping from my glass, I can see the absinthe at the bottom of the glass is clear, while the louched absinthe floats above it.

Since the PF 1901 has a nice light emerald color, and what I'm seeing at the bottom of the glass is clear, I can only assume that the absinthe and water are separating, and the water is sinking to the bottom.

Is that normal?

I can't believe it's a quality issue. More like a peculiarity, but certainly a very interesting characteristic. I've never had it happen, and Jade this or that is just about all I drink.

I see now, physics seems to explain it. I'll have to try that, might be kinda cool to look at.

I don't think anyone would question the quality of Jades, regardless of whether they like them or not. ;)

Ha! You're right. I think.. I'll just.. back out of.. the room now, before I start seeing pitch forks and torches. :)

I don't think anyone would question the quality of Jades...

You've never heard anyone question the quality of the Jades? Not people just saying they're shit and outright dismissing them, but rather questioning whether they're deserving of their reputation as the "pinnacle of modern absinthe" because of different technical concerns. The Jade line is idiosyncratic as hell and some of its unique qualities have been disputed since before I joined the forums as to whether they're good or bad things, and what sort of production errors or other issues might be the cause. Of course there are idiosyncrasies in pretty much every brand and all of them are debatable in the same ways, but none of the others are subject of newbies so frequently saying "My first absinthe was [...] because I wanted to start out with the best there is!" or "I decided to start with something middle-shelf quality because I don't think I'm ready for [...]" like the Jades are.

Hey, it was a blanket statement. I couldn't let it pass unchallenged.

It's all good. My query seems to have been addressed as fully as possible, so there's nothing else to say here on the subject.

I'm too drunk to know which thread I'm posting in.

You should have left your original post in place here. I really enjoy non sequiturs and I got a laugh out of it.

You've never heard anyone question the quality of the Jades? Not people just saying they're shit and outright dismissing them, but rather questioning whether they're deserving of their reputation as the "pinnacle of modern absinthe" because of different technical concerns.

I am quite fond of all of the Jades I've tried (1901, Edouard, and NO), but they are all so different that I would never claim that the Jades across the board are "the pinnacle of modern absinthe." For my money, the PF 1901 may well be, but the Edouard falls short of the standard set by the Roquette 1797, and the NO while excellent is also a different sort of absinthe than its Jade brethren. (When I'm in the mood for it, it's right up there w/ the 1901, but that's not always the case.)

However, at the risk of meandering, I will say that I'm baffled by those (mostly at other fora) who dismiss the Jades outright, and I suspect it's more a matter of ideology than taste or judgement.

whether they're deserving of their reputation as the "pinnacle of modern absinthe" because of different technical concerns.

I never said that they were the pinnacle of modern absinthe. All I said was that most people would agree that they are high quality. Most everybody can find at least one fault in any CO absinthe they try. That doesn't mean that said absinthe isn't a high quality product.

Indeed.

What's exciting is how that top tier is getting a little more crowded. For awhile, Jade was fairly alone at the top, but clearly, that is not the case anymore. Along with the competition in quality also comes the competition in pricing. This should be a very exciting year.

After about 15 minutes of sipping from my glass, I can see the absinthe at the bottom of the glass is clear, while the louched absinthe floats above it.

My glasses of jade never last that long! :tongue:

I never said that they were the pinnacle of modern absinthe. All I said was that most people would agree that they are high quality. Most everybody can find at least one fault in any CO absinthe they try. That doesn't mean that said absinthe isn't a high quality product.

I never said you said that. Your original statement was that you didn't think anyone would question the quality of the Jades, and that's what raised my eyebrows. What I'm saying is that they absolutely do have the highest reputation of any modern absinthe or line of absinthes and that questioning whether they are deserving of that reputation most certainly is questioning their quality. Not in a "is it or isn't it a quality product" black-or-white way but in a "what level of quality" shades-of-grey way.

OK, I think we're arguing two separate issues.

I wouldn't disagree with what you say. What I meant was that I don't think that people would disagree that Jade isn't a high quality beverage when discussing its locally sourced herbs and distillation methods.

When discussing its place amongst all of the new high end products that have come out over the past year or so, there is obviously a debate as to whether it deserves the top spot or not. I'm not saying one way or another.

When discussing scotch, one can argue whether Balvenie, Springbank, Bowmore, etc are the top brand, but the same person would probably readily agree that all three are high quality products.

I think the vast majority of those who have criticized the Jades have had a singular problem with the idiosyncratic marc base that Ted uses, describing it's flavor as anything from "distracting" to funky, and in the case of the original distiller's proofs, just plain "burnt"™.

Well, I think

The Jade line is idiosyncratic as hell and some of its unique qualities have been disputed since before I joined the forums as to whether they're good or bad things, and what sort of production errors or other issues might be the cause.

is only half true.

Idiosyncratic, no. Subject of nearly endless debate, some of which is (on the surface)due to

describing it's flavor as anything from "distracting" to funky, and in the case of the original distiller's proofs, just plain "burnt"™.

but mostly due to Ted himself, yes. Much the same way Hiram is occasionally the subject of certain groups on a certain other forum, I think it's more personal than not.

Just my two pfennig.

What I meant was that I don't think that people would disagree that Jade isn't a high quality beverage when discussing its locally sourced herbs and distillation methods.

And yet there is some disagreement there, too. Mostly regarding distillation methods.

I don't think the base is the only source of its oddness. That seems a way too neat and tidy explanation. That "burnt" character is also in Lucid, in which it is vastly stronger than in the Jades, yet it does not use the same base.

Speedle, just because someone else doesn't agree that the product you love is just top-notch doesn't mean it must be because of a personal bias against the maker. Sometimes, yes, but not "mostly," and not all at Louched Lounge. But sometimes that bias comes from the quality of the product relative to how it's marketed.

I don't think the base is the only source of its oddness. That seems a way too neat and tidy explanation. That "burnt" character is also in Lucid, in which it is vastly stronger than in the Jades, yet it does not use the same base.

Perhaps the base isn't the only source of what you perceive as Jade's oddness, but I would bet that if a quality neutral spirit base were used in the PF 1901, it wouldn't remind you of armpit. :)

As to the Lucid tasting burnt™, I wouldn't be surprised if it is, since Lucid is distilled on a larger scale than the Jades. When one considers the very high alcohol tax imposed on the distiller in France, it isn't surprising that maximum utilization of nearly every drop would be a paramount consideration of any absinthe producer, and this usually means a certain amount of over cooking will probably occur...the larger the run, the more likely some degree of burnt™ will be evinced in the flavor.

Well, I thinkbut mostly due to Ted himself, yes. Much the same way Hiram is occasionally the subject of certain groups on a certain other forum, I think it's more personal than not.

I'd agree to that wholeheartedly.

That said, I believe Peridot sincerely does not like the Jades. I have no problem with that. He still puts up with me despite that I sincerely do not like the Belle-Barf.

99.5% of the Jade bashing is personal bullshit.

...I sincerely do not like the Belle-Barf.

Aw, go on, T, you're free to re-rate your your score down to about a 2.5, you know you want to, I'm doin' just that with my PF 1901 review, as we speak not.

And don't give a rats rump about no peer pressure, neither! ;) :cheers: