• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#31 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Fair enough...I probably should have said "a respectable louche." But at any rate, the Roquette is excellent in every other way.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#32 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

To me appearance doesn't matter as much as taste, so I'm okay with the skimpy louche. It's my personal favorite so far.
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

#33 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

I concur. The flavor trumps the louche and aroma, every day (though aroma is a key part of flavor). Just the other day, I was blown away by the louche on Sirene. It was thick, creamy, and beautiful! Unfortunately, the flavor didn't live up to the beauty (cf., my review).

Roquette, on the other hand, was delightful in spite of the weak louche, and I'm really looking forward to making this a part of the regular rotation!
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#34 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

I think some--including myself--get caught up in the louche due to the whole fantastical aspect of the ritual. In the end it's supposed to taste good, no matter what the louche is like. Absinthe is defined as an anise beverage, right, not a beverage that has a thick louche. Louche is important in so far as it is not more visually interesting than the flavor is flavorful. That said, I happen to prefer a very thick louche and as such I tend to drip my absinthe very slowly. But in the end, taste is what's important. If you got some pre-ban and it tasted positively heavenly but had a thin louche would you give it a lower rating for it?
Life is moist and stinky

#35 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

I'd give it a lower rating for the louche, but if something smelled and tasted heavenly it certainly wouldn't stop me from granting it a great overall score.

Like Ken said, Aroma is going to be reflected in the flavor. I understand why the FV ratings have taste worth 2/3 of aroma, as taste is 2/3 smell. My 2 favorite commercial absinthe's just happen to be the only two I've granted 5's to in aroma (Jade N-O & Belle Amie), and I don't think that's a coincidence. If something smells wonderful, it's going to taste wonderful too. So while tasting good is the main objective, I consider aroma just as important (if not more-so) when you take everything into consideration.
Porkchops are good

#36 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

I think the louche is very much related to the taste. In my experience, a thicker louche means the drink will have a creamier mouth feel.
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#37 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

You're correct. I did forget to take into account the "creaminess" factor that a thick louche provides, which by the way is something I find important, but seem to have forgotten when I posted. Long weekend!
Life is moist and stinky

#38 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I had a bit of a surprise tonight with Roquette. My first glass a week or so ago stopped at 3:1 as I feared it would simply get too watered down from the thinness of the louche. It was OK, but not something I would reach for often. Tonight, I was paying attention to how super slow the louche was forming, and had a thought. "keep going...see what happens"... I gave it until 4:1. The louche actually got a little thicker, and though still thin had an opal quality that was really quite pretty. I added enough to bring it up to 4.5:1, and the flavor opened up like magic. Still very herbal and medicinal, but I felt like I was in a time machine, and this was something real from the past.
Hmmm.....just thought I'd share!

#39 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:09 AM

I believe the first issue of 1797 was quite medicinal and the Roquette was less so and more enjoyable. I have since tasted some first issue and was quite glad it has changed the way it has. It's been months since that happened. Maybe time for another go at it. Thanks for the reminder, Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#40 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,669 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:24 AM

I really enjoyed both editions of Roquette, particularly the second.

I've always wished they had a bigger louche, but, understandably, that wasn't really a considered aspect of the beverage in 1797.

And I oughtta know. :wheelchair:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#41 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

Ditto.

And I'm sure I'll enjoy the "1731" and "1804" as well! :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#42 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,669 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

Ditto.

:cheers:

#43 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

I don't recall if I tried the first, but I do enjoy the second. The last time I got into my bottle was with Bill and another absintheur in the OKC.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#44 EdouardPerneau

EdouardPerneau

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

Ditto.

And I'm sure I'll enjoy the "1731" and "1804" as well! :cheers:

still waiting for them since roquette was lunch
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .

#45 Jack Griffin

Jack Griffin

invisible member

• 3,307 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

Has anyone tried the new formulation yet? It supposedly has a thicker louche and ramped-up flavor profile.

#46 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

I was kind of put off by the first edition. The wormwood profile was great, but ultimately, it was way too thin in louche and overall flavor to my liking. I wouldn't be opposed to trying the new formulation, but I'm not chomping at the bit to do so.
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#47 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

The intruiging part is that the recipe was supposed to be thin, as it was supposed to resemble an early version that was more in line with a tonic than the products that became vogue during the Belle Epoque. So I'm surprised that they tweaked the formula to be more in line with modern products.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#48 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

Right. And I get the whole historical aspect of what they were trying to do with it, but I still found myself trying to get it to “work” like an absinthe that would emerge years later. The preparation would take ages to pull it off, though. A slow as hell drip for 10+ minutes with water hovering just above freezing would typically yield the results I was looking for. But just dead-on, typical preparation -- this wasn’t my thing. I’ve glad to have purchased a bottle, but in hindsight I might have sprung for something else.

Was this the one that was released concurrently with L’Artisanale? I remember getting both at the same time, I think.
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#49 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,669 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have the same memory, and although I was captivated by the flavor of the Roquette, I also found the louche coaxing to be a tad tedious, and the L'Artisanale to be far more to my liking.

#50 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,810 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

L'Artisanale and 1797's 'prototype edition' came out at the same time, in the smaller bottles. Roquette 1797 came out a bit later, but was based on the original as far as I know.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#51 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

That’s what I remember, then. Though I remember going back for a full bottle of the final 1st edition. I’m positive I have an empty sitting around in my collection somewhere. I need to break that collection out of its box. I haven’t put it anywhere since I moved.

Anyway, looking back, I would have doubled up on the L’Artisanale…or bought a damn vat of it, if it weren’t for that pesky 2-bottle limit. Man, I haven’t thought about all that in a while. What was this, four years ago?

#52 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Yep!

The last bottle of L’Artisanale I opened is in PA I think.

I haven't compared the first edition 1797 to the Roquette1797 side by side but I reckon I should. Perhaps this spring or early summer. :twitchsmile:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#53 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

The last bottle of L’Artisanale I opened is in PA I think.

B)
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#54 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

Just got notice: Absinthes.com has Roquette 1797 back in stock for only $64.50 per bottle
You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#55 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

Love the booze but they aren't on my approved vendor list.

#56 redwun

redwun

Rehab Is For Quitters

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

sorry to hear that,i've had nothing but good experiences with them.
You Know there ain't no Devil that's just God when he's drunk"...Tom Waits

#57 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

Yep, I'll suffer in silence. :cheers:

#58 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,669 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

Love the booze but they aren't on my approved vendor list.

Sounds disturbingly corporate, somehow. ;)

Then again, you pretty much only buy 'merkinsinthe, dontcha, Bill?

I'll echo Redwun's sentiment. I've had nothing but good experiences with them, as well.

All two of them, anyway.

#59 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,181 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

OK, let me explain.

I've been buying absinthe for a couple years. Each time I buy from any vendor, it's like an interview.
Meaning, each time I make a purchase, the vendor has one chance to be included in my "Share the Wealth" program.

Now, this isn't a life long thing but a "for right now" thing.

Right now, Liquors de France and Catskill Cellars are the only two I'll share the wealth with.
Being that there is hardly any wealth and these two are and have been stellar performers in every way, they get my $$$.

Simple enough.

As for corporate issues, yes, there may be some. But, can you dispute the level of service from my choices?

Drink up, the first round is on me. :cheers:

#60 Ambear

Ambear

Ermahgerd, Erbsernthe

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

Then again, you pretty much only buy 'merkinsinthe, dontcha, Bill?

Heh...merkin.

I'll probably end up doing the same thing at some point in time, Bill. I just have a few I wanna taste that I need to get out of the way first, before I start only buying only the stuff that's best.
Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem

Website | Blog | Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association