Sign in to follow this  
techdiver

Educate me

I'm embarrassed to mention my first absinthe. I've gotten a 3 bottle shipment of Duplais. Gladly, there is no bitterness in any I've tried so far. Still haven't gotten to the Balance. The Verte has an edginess, an herbal character that isn't present in the Blanche. The Blanche is smoother by virtue of this, yet it lacks the more overpowering anise in aroma, yet is present in taste. Are my observations valid?

Yeah, they're not unlike my experiences with them. Balance is my favourite of the three, Blanche my least. The Blanche has a star anise character that annoys me, and not enough wormwood wallop.

No need to be embarassed, Duplais is good absinthe and pretty well-respected in general. Absinthe isn't as bitter as a lot of folks think it is. Of course your observations are valid, you observed what you tasted.

OK, I gotta admit, the embarrassment is because my first absinthe was the maligned Strong68. The Duplais being a major improvement. I found the Blanche and Balance similar in aroma and taste. Different louche. The Verte still with the more overpowering aroma.

Edited by techdiver

Kinda neat, huh?

As you may have noticed, everyone here has their opinion. I like all three of them at different times, for different reasons.

The cool thing is, you can set back with a glass of any of them and just relax. oooohhhhhhmmmmm. ;)

OK, I gotta admit, the embarrassment is because my first absinthe was the maligned Strong68.

Maggie the Cat and I also started with Czech Strong. What that does not kill us, makes us stronger, eh? ;)

Don't feel embarassed, I started with Mari Mayans, Staro, and Absinthe King, TechDiver...if I hadn't switched to a certain la bleue immediately after that, I might have given up on absinthe entirely.

Hi Tech,

I also started with a czechsinthe, fire and all, on a trip to the Czech Republic last year. My first order included Duplais Verte, which I really enjoyed.

Welcome aboard and enjoy. :cheers: